Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Australian delivered Abarth 124 Spiders did not come with an interior auto dimming rear view mirror, something that I was used to in my other car - a Dodge Nitro. This modification will make it alot easier to travel at night, especially with how low our cars are relative to others on the road.

Difficulty: You will need to solder and crimp some wires, and remove some interior trim pieces.

Materials:

• Auto dim rear view mirror (I used one from an ND MX-5/Miata - $50 from a wrecker - late model higher spec. Mazda CX5s and Mazda 3 SP25/GT models use the same mirror)
  • Pig tail/wiring harness for the new mirror (the wrecker was kind enough to snip off a good sized length from the parted vehicle)
  • Circuit tap connector (x1, to draw power from the #5 fuse on the LHS interior foot well - make sure you use the type with the short legs on the fuse, called 'ACN')
  • Ring crimp terminal (x1, we will use the bolt holding the interior fuse panel as the ground)
  • Electrical wire (Red and Black approx 2m each to run the wiring from the mirror under the trim to the interior fuse block)
  • Electrical tape (preferably black to keep it stealth and OEM looking)
Tools:

• T10, T30 & T40 Torx (for removal of the existing rear view mirror and the windscreen trim surround bolts)
  • Trim removal stick (or a flat bladed screwdriver wrapped in a cloth)
  • Side cutters (to cut electrical wire)
  • Electrical wiring stripping tool (or whatever your preferred wire stripping tool is)
  • Crimper (or a pair of pliers)
Of course, do this at your own risk!

------
The Mirror/Wiring Connector:

In an MX5/Miata:

The one I purchased:

The light sensor which darkens it (makes it green) is located on the front of the mirror (the glass part)

Rear wiring harness (5 pin connector).

Wiring connector off the MX5 is a 5 pin connector with only Pins 1-3 used (Brown/Black, Black, Dark Blue/Black).

We will only use the following:
Pin 1 (Brown/Black) - used for power, fuse #5 (ACC/Ignition) - the mirror will automatically turn on when the Start button is pressed (like any other car on the market)
Pin 2 (Black) - Ground

Wiring Diagram (off the ND MX5 Service Manual):

As you can see, the mirror on the MX5 is connected to the passenger side mirror (whichever market you're in) in which it auto dims that mirror as well. Unfortunately, we are unable to replicate this.
-----
Pre-Installation:

1. Start with the wiring harness, either heat shrink, some electrical tape or if you're fancy, completely remove Pin 3 (Dark Blue/Black) as it will not be used.
  2. Extend the harness wiring using your electrical wire, I used black for ground (Pin 2, Black) and red for power (Pin 1, Brown/Black)
  3. I bench tested the mirror using a 6V torch battery that I had lying around to ensure that the mirror was not faulty, the correct pin outs were used and that my soldering created a stable connection. As you can see below, the power button is lit green and that it has dimmed to a light tinge of green from my interior down lights (it gets A LOT darker if you shine a torch at it - simulating high beams)

Vehicle Installation:

1. Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery (Some may say not required, but I personally think fiddling with vehicle electronics it's safer to discharge the system then short circuit any vital components)
  2. Loosen the T10 (if I recall) single torx screw from the rear view mirror mount, a few turns and it will become loose. Slide the mirror up towards the roof to remove.
  3. Looking up towards the front of the windscreen surround trim, you'll see 2 slots for wiring (a larger one and a smaller one), select one to feed your wiring harness.
  4. Flip down the left sun visor and use a T30 torx bit to remove the bolt.
  5. Remove the two T40 torx bits from the left soft top lock/catch.
  6. Use a trim stick, hands or cloth covered flat blade screwdriver and pry the left windscreen trim - it will NOT fully come down, but a large enough gap will be present.
  7. Remove the left pillar trim by using a trim stick or your hands and prying the TOP portion, BOSE equipped vehicles will have a tweeter at the bottom and some slack from the wiring harness.
  8. Remove the left sill panel by lifting it straight up
  9. Remove the interior fuse panel by prying the single plastic fastener and pulling the panel towards the REAR of the vehicle.
  10. Remove the door moulding, just pulls off.
  11. We will route our wiring harness up towards the left of the windscreen trim, down the LEFT A pillar through the gap from the door moulding into the interior fuse panel area.
  12. Cut and strip your wires to length.
  13. Remove the 10mm bolt holding the fuse block to the vehicle, crimp a ring terminal on the negative (BLACK) wire. The ring terminal must be touching the metal of the chassis. (Chassis - Ring Terminal - Fuse Block - Bolt)
  14. Remove the #5 fuse (ACC power) and connect the circuit tap connector, crimp it to the RED wire that we have created for the harness and reinstall. Note: If you are installing a dash camera such as a BlackVue unit with a Power Magic Pro, you may want to twist both ACC wires (Mirror and Dash Cam) to the singular fuse tap connector.
  15. Reinstall trim.
  16. Reinstall the new auto dim mirror (slide it from the top down and tighten the torx screw)
  17. Turn vehicle on to ACC and notice the green power lit.
  18. Voila! You've installed an auto dim mirror on the cheap.

Optional:

If you're feeling fancy, you can purchase one of these Gentex style rear view mirror wire covers for the added factory look.

Additional Pics:

New (Left) Vs. Old Mirror

New (Left) Vs. Old - Thickness)

Conclusion:

The mirror is slightly wider than the stock mirror but is also a lot sturdier and as a result, does not vibrate or distort as much when driving. Night time driving is now a breeze. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some reason I couldn't edit my original post, but here's a diagram of the interior fuse block, located on the LHS foot well. Fuse #5 is used as it is switched/ignition/ACC power.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great write up, Murph.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The pics :(

Reactions: GregtheBike

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry in advance about my images, I struggled to get them in the correct places.

I've decided to do this mod as well (my other car is a Mazda 6 which has an auto-dim mirror).

Here is the mirror I purchased from ebay (£24, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182532309261). It came from a Mazda 5, and the numbers on the mirror match exactly with what the original poster bought.

I don't have any of the wiring, so used a servo lead from RC car applications. The red paint on this is to highlight the side where pin 1 (+12v) is.

This is the cable I'm using. Again, red paint to highlight pin 1, and wrapped in fabric tape to hopefully minimize any rattles.

This is the servo connector I used (my son and I race rc cars, so have a few of these about). It doesn't fit as snugly as a proper connector, but it's pretty good.

As soon as I get it installed onto the car, I'll post some more pics. I am going to run the cable to the accessory socket (I already have a dash cam wire running to that) and take 12v from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had a newer model mirror installed,

It's called a infinity mirror it has no edges
So you have a better view, it also has auto dimming and three homelink buttons.

It cost $100 of Amazon and its well worth the price.

Here's some pic's comparing it to the original.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
300 Posts

This is awesome, I've seen the Mazda guys retrofit an OEM one like this from a cx-9 or something. Do you have a listing, or could you provide more info on mounting it up? Did the oem mirror arm just mount right up?

·
Registered
280 Posts

This is awesome, I've seen the Mazda guys retrofit an OEM one like this from a cx-9 or something. Do you have a listing, or could you provide more info on mounting it up? Did the oem mirror arm just mount right up?
I had it installed, paid $50 not to bad
It comes with instructions and connections and yes i does fit on the same mount.

It takes a little getting used to, the same way you get used to a 4k tv.
The clarity of this mirror is fantastic big improvement over the manual oem mirror.

Brandmotion 9002-9702 Infinity Auto Dimming Mirror with HomeLink Wireless System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A4ELY9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_NYP8AbJEJKD6D

·
Registered
433 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts