Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

381 - 392 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coolant removal

This may be a silly question, but is there a recommended method for draining coolant from intercooler prior to removing unit for EC Intercooler kit install? Also can I reuse coolant? I can buy new 50/50 fl22 coolant from Mazda dealership for $28.00 per gal. I know capacity of old system is 7.6 us qts. What will capacity of new setup be? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
This may be a silly question, but is there a recommended method for draining coolant from intercooler prior to removing unit for EC Intercooler kit install? Also can I reuse coolant? I can buy new 50/50 fl22 coolant from Mazda dealership for $28.00 per gal. I know capacity of old system is 7.6 us qts. What will capacity of new setup be? Thanks!
There is no coolant in the intercooler.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
There is no coolant in the intercooler.

I remember asking the same question! Being new to turbo it only seems right! IF you have a cooler aka radiator...its gonna have LIQUID in it! Not the case with INNERCOOLERS. Air cooled...what a concept!

aloha mike

Reactions: Gotmine and CDPond

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Air to air ;)

Positive displacement superchargers typically have water to air cooling systems. Think Hellcat blower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your answers and lack of judgement (at least in writing :)) to a very obvious (to me now) newbie question!
I watched Bryan from Ngen video twice and installed my intercooler in about 3 1/2 hours yesterday. EXCELLENT instruction and step by step tutorial for this procedure. THANKS Bryan. Thought it was going to take me a lot longer! Had so much time left over I also installed my DV+ Go Fast, oil catch can, V4 intake, plugs, coils, turbo blanket AND my EC Phase 2 and went for a fantastic drive! Wow, really good, next up will be a new exhaust, still looking, strongly considering Goodwin resonated catback RoadsterSport, thoughts?
Thanks again, Bryan and 124spider community.

·
Banned
3,046 Posts
Air to air ;)

Positive displacement superchargers typically have water to air cooling systems. Think Hellcat blower.
Being quoted $650 labor for EC fmic installation, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,682 Posts
Wrench it, man! You can do it. Or check with NGEN or Madness, both may be close enough to you.

·
Banned
3,046 Posts
Wrench it, man! You can do it. Or check with NGEN or Madness, both may be close enough to you.
Like I said, $650. Asking opinions on that. I moved and don’t own any tools.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,682 Posts
I think these instructions say 6 hrs and that is on the low end of what I have heard and experienced so $650 would not be out of the norm for current labor rates. Most shops are in the $135 an hour range, give or take a little. Maybe with some more scrounging you can find a smaller shop that's a little cheaper. That comes with a caveat, small shops are more difficult to deal with in terms of warranty and/or culpability in less than stellar work.

·
Banned
3,046 Posts
I think these instructions say 6 hrs and that is on the low end of what I have heard and experienced so $650 would not be out of the norm for current labor rates. Most shops are in the $135 an hour range, give or take a little. Maybe with some more scrounging you can find a smaller shop that's a little cheaper. That comes with a caveat, small shops are more difficult to deal with in terms of warranty and/or culpability in less than stellar work.
I was considering it because of the Karcepts compatibility but 800 + 650 + 950 is a bit much...think I’d rather pay 200-300 for cheaper sway bars and have the front one installed for $300.

I’m still skeptical about the FMIC’s benefits since there have been other intercoolers for less with a 1-2 hour installation. I get the whole potential leaks thing but not sure if it’s a big enough pain truly for a DD/not-so-serious track car. Still haven’t decided though.

381 - 392 of 392 Posts