Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How To Install EUROCOMPULSION V4 Intake​

Overview:
I had an opportunity to try out the EUROCOMPULSION V4 intake, so I decided to write a brief tutorial for the install.

The factory ribbed intake tube on our cars is a bit restrictive and does not insulate against engine bay heat very well. EUROCOMPULSION has a V4 intake that solves both of those problems, reducing intake temps by over 12 degrees F on average, and increasing power by a peak of over 12 HP. The filter on this intake has a large filtration surface area, which allows it to produce more power than stock or V1/V2 intakes.

Tools Required:
- Pliers
- 10mm socket, ratchet, and extension
- Flathead screwdriver
- Phillips screwdriver or 9/32" & 3/8" hex socket bit
- Optional: Ft-lb torque wrench
- Optional: soapy water

Part Required:
EUROCOMPULSION FIAT 124 Spider V4 Intake

Procedure:
1. To begin, remove the engine cover.

2. There are 7 points we will be disconnecting in this tutorial, marked below.

3. Begin by loosening the hose clamps at the two ends of the intake tube using either the Phillips screwdriver or 9/13"/7mm hex socket bit.

4. Using the pliers to open the hose clamp, remove the 90 degree elbow going into the top of the intake tube.

5. Using the 10mm socket, remove the bolt securing the PCV tube.

6. Using the pliers to open the hose clamp, remove the rubber hose from the PCV tube.

7. Disconnect the coolant hose running across the top of the intake by wedging a flathead screwdriver underneath the toothed fastener.

8. Once you have everything disconnected, pull the intake tube off of the turbo and air filter box, and pull the PCV tube out of the intake (this may take some twisting of the intake.

9. Move over to the passenger side of the air box and, using a flathead screwdriver, pry the retaining clips away from the hose. These need to be clear on both sides of the clips, as shown in the second image.

10. Once the retainers are opened, simply slide the hoses off. Snap the air box clamps open, remove the bolt holding the air box to the front header, lift the top off the airbox, and remove the air filter.

11. The airbox bottom is now ready to be removed from the car. Lift upward gradually from the driver side, and the air box should pop out of the grommet and will be free to remove from the engine bay.

12. Install the EVAP hose provided with the kit in the bottom of the intake. The other two ends are connected to the OEM hoses that were disconnected from the factory filter box.

13. I found it easier to install this intake by removing the bolt securing the factory ram air outlet.

14. Install the elbow with the short side in the factory ram air outlet. I found it easier to use some soapy water on the inside of the hose to get it to slide over.

15. Slide the hose clamps over in the orientation shown below. I chose this orientation to prevent any rubbing against wiring or other hoses.

16. Connect the shown hoses to the upper section of the intake, and set it aside. Do not slide it over the turbo yet. I let it hang off the battery tray bolt so it stays out of the way.

17. Install the filter into the bottom section of the intake, then fit the top section in the filter and over the turbo. Note: the air filter has to be installed such that the opening of the filter cone (look inside) is facing the factory ram air outlet.

18. Ensure that the EVAP hose is underneath the air filter to prevent any rubbing.

19. Tighten all clamps securely (but not excessively), and re-attach the two bolts removed (one secures the factory ram air outlet, not pictured below) to approximately 12 ft-lb.

20. Included in the kit is a hose with a slit going through it. Fit this hose over edge of the battery sleeve to keep it from rubbing against the intake hose.

21. Reinstall the engine cover, and you're done!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I see where you are going to make me move that EVAP hose under the air filter. Great tutorial as always

Attachments

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Administrator
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see where you are going to make me move that EVAP hose under the air filter. Great tutorial as always
Yeah I figured there'd be less rubbing and a cleaner looking engine bay that way. Thanks!

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
That's a good write up. Thanks. Another option is to trim the plastic on the battery surround , then you don't need to use that slit piece of silicone. A pair of scissors takes care of that issue quite easily.

Greg

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
That's a good write up. Thanks. Another option is to trim the plastic on the battery surround , then you don't need to use that slit piece of silicone. A pair of scissors takes care of that issue quite easily.

Greg
I would caution for folks about this. I actually have the battery surround out of the car (I forgot to put it back around the battery when I was finishing the intercooler install). I thought it was great because there was no longer any risk of the intake tube rubbing on it. Just yesterday I discovered that the intake tube has been resting right on the sharp point of the battery hold down bracket, instead, and wearing a hole into the intake (it hasn't gone all the way through, but bummer). I'll be putting the battery surround back in today, and finding another piece of silicone to slit and put on.

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
I would caution for folks about this. I actually have the battery surround out of the car (I forgot to put it back around the battery when I was finishing the intercooler install). I thought it was great because there was no longer any risk of the intake tube rubbing on it. Just yesterday I discovered that the intake tube has been resting right on the sharp point of the battery hold down bracket, instead, and wearing a hole into the intake (it hasn't gone all the way through, but bummer). I'll be putting the battery surround back in today, and finding another piece of silicone to slit and put on.
Fair enough. Mine doesn't touch but I have probably angled it a little differently. As long as the hole isn't all the way through it should be fine, but if it's visible and an issue for you, shoot me a PM and I'll figure something out.

Greg

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I found that mine was barely resting on that 'point' you mention, on the battery mount. I filed it down about 1/4 inch (perhaps) and smoothed it off.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I found that mine was barely resting on that 'point' you mention, on the battery mount. I filed it down about 1/4 inch (perhaps) and smoothed it off.
That is a great idea. Thank you.

·
Administrator
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I installed the V2 intake, I filed down that section of the battery that looked like it would rub a hole in the intake. When installed the intercooler, I decided to leave it out entirely.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Greg
When I did mine - I went 'over-kill'.
I trimmed the battery surround and then supported the silicon pipe with a piece of closed-cell rubber.

Danny

Attachments

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
When I did mine - I went 'over-kill'.
I trimmed the battery surround and then supported the silicon pipe with a piece of closed-cell rubber.

Danny
I like that, I may do that.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I ended up sanding and smoothing that bracket as well. No issues since.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Well, I was all ready to file it down, but I ended up removing the issue, instead. Turns out the offending part of the battery bracket is a plastic shield that snaps off. I don’t see a need for it. Circled in the pic are the corners that are of issue, one of which resides right under the intake tube.

@Greg, thanks so much for the offer of help. It only nicked the intake tube. It didn’t go through, and it’s not noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I did a little U cut in the Silicone tube, so when installing back it goes back in the same place and it snugs in another 3/16" in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Leaning towards V4, how long would any of you who have this estimate for install time? Assuming correct tools and decent mechanical inclination.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts