Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, anyone know how to do this. I can't find anything...

·
Registered
479 Posts
bulldog, I guess I am waiting on my new red ones to arrive. I am guessing that I am going to find plastic clips that can be pushed down to release from the mirror housing. What tool do I visualize using?...some type of very thin plastic/metal shiv that will slide between cap and mirror housing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bulldog, I guess I am waiting on my new red ones to arrive. I am guessing that I am going to find plastic clips that can be pushed down to release from the mirror housing. What tool do I visualize using?...some type of very thin plastic/metal shiv that will slide between cap and mirror housing.
Yeah, I get that. There are several clips. But looking through You Tube, etc, there is no detail as to the best way to access those clips. Other brands require the removal of the mirrors. All but one of the clips are pretty strong, and I doubt a flexible "shiv" could easily release them.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
If you turn the mirror completely out you will have better access to that primary clip. I had mine installed by 500 Madness after they told me that the clip is easy to break (and I couldn't find instructions). Even then I had to take it back to them because they didn't reseat the electronic pivot points correctly on the passenger mirror. All is fine now. The red mirrors really make a difference.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I have black ones coming on Monday. Just pulled my red one off the drivers side. Took about 15 minutes. 5 clips hold the mirror on. 4 are easily accessible from the face of the mirror just tilting the mirror down and to the left and right to see them. I started with the one closest to the window and worked my way to the outside of the mirror. The last clip is not accessible and is the small bottom one on the bottom of the cover towards the window. When the others comes loose the bottom of the mirror can lift up and clear the last clip. Just be careful around the mirror as it is paper thin and will not take any pressure against it. Two long screwdrivers and plastic pry to to get it started on the first clip.;)

Also if you are not aware you mirror will fold in one position and out 2 positions for easy access.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have black ones coming on Monday. Just pulled my red one off the drivers side. Took about 15 minutes. 5 clips hold the mirror on. 4 are easily accessible from the face of the mirror just tilting the mirror down and to the left and right to see them. I started with the one closest to the window and worked my way to the outside of the mirror. The last clip is not accessible and is the small bottom one on the bottom of the cover towards the window. When the others comes loose the bottom of the mirror can lift up and clear the last clip. Just be careful around the mirror as it is paper thin and will not take any pressure against it. Two long screwdrivers and plastic pry to to get it started on the first clip.;)

Also if you are not aware you mirror will fold in one position and out 2 positions for easy access.
Thanks, I knew it would fold in because it did that when my wife hit it with her Outback (only a scratch). I did not know it would fold out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
does anyone have pics of the clips as shown through the mirror with the mirror glass tilted down and to the left i cant seem to see what clips i can pop out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I just installed my new carbon fiber mirror caps that I got from Madness. I could not be happier with the look. I used a different method than PureAdrenaline did. We talked the other day and I discovered that I did not have enough light where I needed it and not a thin enough long screwdriver to get it done that way. So, I went on a quest. I first went to the Fiat dealer and they knew nothing, having never removed one. They printed off the instructions from the manual and they were extraordinarily useless. They suggested that I go to a body repair shop, but since their are only a very few Spiders here in town, I considered that a waste of time. So I went to the Mazda dealer and assured myself that the mirrors on the Miata are identical, which they are. The Mazda service tech was quite helpful. He said that they have used two methods: the one PureAdrenaline used and taking the mirror off first. They have a high failure rate taking mirrors off, so they prefer Pure's method. I asked specifically about the mirror removal and the tech showed me what tools I needed and how to remove the mirror without breaking it. After hunting for the tools at PepBoys and NAPA, I found them at AutoZone.

Step 1 Leave the mirror housing in its normal position or move it outward, whichever is comfortable for you.
Step 2 Push the mirror glass as far to the inside as you can. (You don't need to operate the motor to do this, just push it with your
hand.
Step 3 Insert the tool between the housing and the mirror glass and pry gently. It will pop loose a little.
Step 4 Move the tool to the lower part of the mirror and pry gently. It will pop a little more.
Step 5 Move the tool deeper in so you can pry against the middle of the mirror. It will pop completely loose. Be careful not to pull
the mirror too far out as the electrical wiring is still attached.
Step 6 With the mirror pretty much out of your way, press the tab closest to the window out, pull the cover away from the housing
and put one of the tools into the slot.
Step 7 Now, use your screwdriver to release the two tabs on the top of the cover and the double tab on the outside edge.
Step 8 Once these tabs are released the cover will pull down and off. The small tab on the bottom of the cover disengages when
the cover is tilted down.

To reinstall the mirror, line it up and push it into place. It snaps right back in. The same is true for the mirror cover.

Two tools are essential in making this a 5 minute job: plastic trim tools and a high lumen headlight. (I got them at AutoZone.)

Hint! The place to pry against the mirror is not on the glass but on the black plastic mirror backing near the round white swivel part.

Here are some pictures I took of where to apply the trim tool to pop the mirror glass out, where the tabs are and the finished product. (and the tools.)

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
After having struggled with the Pure method, I think that popping the mirror off is by far the best method. Just don't pry against the glass and the mirror pops off easily, providing plenty of room to get the screwdriver on that inner tab without endangering the mirror.

·
Registered
544 Posts
After having struggled with the Pure method, I think that popping the mirror off is by far the best method. Just don't pry against the glass and the mirror pops off easily, providing plenty of room to get the screwdriver on that inner tab without endangering the mirror.
Very informative and helpful post JFernald ! I think it' worth adding it in his own thread in DIY section for future reference

http://www.124spider.org/forum/361-diy-tutorial/

·
Registered
958 Posts
One more thing before we're finished. While most of what I gave you above applies to both driver/left and passenger/right side mirrors covers, there is a difference between the glass attachment on each side. Unless I missed it the passenger mirror does not have the very convenient white round thingy. It has three sockets, a central socket that does nothing but hold the mirror, a lower socket that moves the mirror up and down and an outside socket that moves the mirror in and out. These three ball and socket joints must be disengaged separately, beginning with the outer, then the middle, then the lower. Getting the three of them re-engaged after removing the mirror cover takes a bit of fiddling. Once you get the outer and center engaged, you can use the electric controls to press the lower ball into the socket.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts