Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
JFernald, thank you!

So I did this last night. I ended up just using my fingers behind the mirrors to pop them off. I have the tool but my fingers seemed better for me. I don't see how you do this without removing the mirrors, no wonder people were having issues.

Drives side..super easy to pop the mirror off and back on
Passengers side as noted, not so much. In fact I can not get the outside to pop back in. Center and bottom are in so it seems secure, but a trip to a Mazda dealer is in order.

·
Registered
958 Posts
JFernald, thank you!

So I did this last night. I ended up just using my fingers behind the mirrors to pop them off. I have the tool but my fingers seemed better for me. I don't see how you do this without removing the mirrors, no wonder people were having issues.

Drives side..super easy to pop the mirror off and back on
Passengers side as noted, not so much. In fact I can not get the outside to pop back in. Center and bottom are in so it seems secure, but a trip to a Mazda dealer is in order.
Bull,

Don't be afraid to use a bit of force on it. Once you have the center and lower in place, rotate the mirror all the way out, then give it a firm push, just don't push on the very outer edge.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I just ordered the red caps...saw this (Attachment---heat and remove mirror..ugh)...but it sounds and looks like, JFernald's write up is the best method.

Mahalo for the time/effort and of course the pictures to show the steps.

Aloha!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Mahalo for the walk-through.

It helped a lot. Passenger side is no joke she's a ([email protected]&er). I had started with that side and was super ginger with it...well that wasn't working..after walking away several times (and Mother Nature kept blessing my car with liquid sunshine ...several times) I decided to do the drivers side...15 minutes later it was done!! Lol.

Now back to the passenger side (cuz now that one side is done...I have to balance it out)

Finally got forceful and after studying the pictures.. a lot. I was able to pop out the middle and top holder at the same time. The bottom fought me somemore and BAM!! Shes loose. Yippee success..but again putting the mirror back is not EASY either. Got the middle holder to pop in (again you gotta be forceful) then the bottom and top.

I had to use the help of my dad and have him do the electrics to line it up and give it a good wack. I had my dad push the mirror button all the way till it was at its stop (it will click-click-click sound) then give it a good pop with my hand, so the mirror will go all the way inside the housing and finally mates with the ball joint.

Nothing broken and all good. Mahalo for the assistance.

I'll post a few pictures of the passangers side at a later date (can't on my cellphone)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just installed my new carbon fiber mirror caps that I got from Madness. I could not be happier with the look. I used a different method than PureAdrenaline did. We talked the other day and I discovered that I did not have enough light where I needed it and not a thin enough long screwdriver to get it done that way. So, I went on a quest. I first went to the Fiat dealer and they knew nothing, having never removed one. They printed off the instructions from the manual and they were extraordinarily useless. They suggested that I go to a body repair shop, but since their are only a very few Spiders here in town, I considered that a waste of time. So I went to the Mazda dealer and assured myself that the mirrors on the Miata are identical, which they are. The Mazda service tech was quite helpful. He said that they have used two methods: the one PureAdrenaline used and taking the mirror off first. They have a high failure rate taking mirrors off, so they prefer Pure's method. I asked specifically about the mirror removal and the tech showed me what tools I needed and how to remove the mirror without breaking it. After hunting for the tools at PepBoys and NAPA, I found them at AutoZone.

Step 1 Leave the mirror housing in its normal position or move it outward, whichever is comfortable for you.
Step 2 Push the mirror glass as far to the inside as you can. (You don't need to operate the motor to do this, just push it with your
hand.
Step 3 Insert the tool between the housing and the mirror glass and pry gently. It will pop loose a little.
Step 4 Move the tool to the lower part of the mirror and pry gently. It will pop a little more.
Step 5 Move the tool deeper in so you can pry against the middle of the mirror. It will pop completely loose. Be careful not to pull
the mirror too far out as the electrical wiring is still attached.
Step 6 With the mirror pretty much out of your way, press the tab closest to the window out, pull the cover away from the housing
and put one of the tools into the slot.
Step 7 Now, use your screwdriver to release the two tabs on the top of the cover and the double tab on the outside edge.
Step 8 Once these tabs are released the cover will pull down and off. The small tab on the bottom of the cover disengages when
the cover is tilted down.

To reinstall the mirror, line it up and push it into place. It snaps right back in. The same is true for the mirror cover.

Two tools are essential in making this a 5 minute job: plastic trim tools and a high lumen headlight. (I got them at AutoZone.)

Hint! The place to pry against the mirror is not on the glass but on the black plastic mirror backing near the round white swivel part.

Here are some pictures I took of where to apply the trim tool to pop the mirror glass out, where the tabs are and the finished product. (and the tools.)
OK. I have to ask. HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET THE CLIPS TO RELEASE???!!!??? I got the mirror off easily enough and can access the clips, but no matter what I do or how I move them, the mirror cover simply doesn't budge. I spent over an hour on the driver's side mirror, then gave up in frustration. Went back later, another hour, and I simply can't get the cover released. Clearly I'm missing something.

WTH.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
yeah its a fight man...but (the clip is kinda hidden) in step 6...once you get that released the others will follow easily. You almost need three hands..one to hold the first clip nearest the window...then you can work on the others...everything will pop right out.

oh and the mirror housing will rotate away from the door so its parallel with the door for easier access. facing you if that make sense....

also look at the new mirror caps to "SEE" where the clips are...that helps you get your reference. you'll need a long small screwdriver to get under the clip...

·
Registered
790 Posts
yeah its a fight man...but (the clip is kinda hidden) in step 6...once you get that released the others will follow easily. You almost need three hands..one to hold the first clip nearest the window...then you can work on the others...everything will pop right out.

oh and the mirror housing will rotate away from the door so its parallel with the door for easier access. facing you if that make sense....

also look at the new mirror caps to "SEE" where the clips are...that helps you get your reference. you'll need a long small screwdriver to get under the clip...
I did it. Warmed up to nearly 30 degrees today so I uncovered her and tried again. I did the same things as before but this time decided that I was willing to use enough force to win, or break them trying. It took a LOT, but I got them both off and replaced. Only thing is that I can't get the passenger side mirror snapped back into place. I've given up for today. Not sure why it's so hard to get back in properly, but I can't say I wasn't warned. :eek:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Good job @StunnedMonkey yes sir you kinda gotta get "that" attitude with it and BAM! They submit.

See if you can have someone help you with the mirror. While doing the electrical (switch) you'll be able to see a few of the ball and sockets by peaking around the mirror. Once you got it lined up. Try a quick wack with your palm. I had a microfiber cloth wrapped up to protect the mirror. May take several attempts for it to pop in.

Take a break and come back when it warms up...brrrrr 30's!!!????? Ugh. Coldest I ever wanna be, is a frozen margarita in my hand!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Got a set of mirror covers painted green (passenger) and red (driver) to match the "tri-colore" theme on the car. Took them to the dealer this afternoon to get them installed. After reading thru this DIY, I wasn't going to risk breaking anything. All went well, only charged me $50, didn't break anything, I didn't end up cursing or throwing tools, so I think it was money well spent!

Funny story though. I'm walking out to the car, and there are two guys walking all around it. One is like a lot porter type, the other is wearing a button-down shirt and slacks, most likely a management type at the dealership (all the sales people were wearing windbreakers). They see me walking towards the car and ask if it's mine. I say it is, then the mgmt guy says it must be a special edition Abarth, he's never seen one like that. I so should've played with him, and told him, "yup, it's the tri-colore edition, not even on the build sheet, have to know someone who knows someone", lol!

Posted up a "before" pic, then a few with the colored mirror covers installed. I definitely think it could pass for a "tri-colore" special edition, lol...that's my story, and I'm sticking with it! Yeah, just like my wheels are one-off Momos or Fittipaldis, yeah, that's the ticket, lol...

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Talk about a stressful hour. All I was thinking was I will be driving to the dealership with the passenger mirror taped to the car.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Carbon fiber mirror covers.

Please forgive me for my extended absence from the forum. I missed a couple of fairly significant PMs, but I am back today. One of the issues that I left hanging was with regard to a problem I had with my carbon fiber mirror covers. I said that I would not say more about it till the issue was resolved. It is now resolved. So here is the deal:

I purchased my covers from Madness. They were over $400. I was able to install them myself without breaking the mirrors or the tabs. I was happy for about a month. Then the covers started to cloud up. I contacted Madness about it. Until I sent them photos, they did not even react. Once they got the photos, they said they would resolve the problem. They wanted me to take them off and send them back to them. (like I'm supposed to drive around without my covers.) I told them I would send the defective ones back when I received the replacements. (They explained that the manufacturer had not used the proper UV blocking outer coating on the ones I purchased, but the new ones did not have this issue. For weeks, we sent emails back and forth and promises were made, but nothing happened. While I was visiting my brother in Austin this winter, he and I drove out to the Madness shop. They gave me their full attention at that time. They did not have any covers in stock or I believe they would have replaced them right then. They promised to ship me the replacements right away. Well they did. Within a couple of weeks, they arrived. I did not want to address this on the forum until I had given the new covers a chance to prove they were okay.

While this experience with Madness was extremely frustrating, (I drove around with dull covers for nearly a year.), I could not be more pleased with their responsiveness once they and the fogged covers came face to face. They have a really nice shop in Austin. (In Austin is not really true. It is way out west of Austin. Not a place one goes by on the way to the grocery store.) They spent quite a bit of time addressing my concerns and my brother's questions. I will purchase from Madness again if the opportunity arrises, but I will wait till someone else provides a positive review on that particular item.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, very helpful! I just put on some red ones, was quite easy and went better than I thought. Just read JFernald's instructions, go slow, and understand what you're doing before you do it. A plastic trim removing tool, a long flathead screwdriver, and a headlamp are all you really need. A few added tips, 1.) I heated my mirrors with a hair dryer (90-108*F) as the (almost worthless) Fiat instructions said, figuring it might add some flexibility to the mirror glass and certainly to all the plastic clips and other parts behind. 2.) the passenger (R) side was more difficult, so use the L side as your learning curve. Seemed like the R mirror didn't leave as much open space to work through, and thus was quite a bit tighter getting started. Don't pry against the back of the mirror, because if you look there is a small plastic mirror support tab just behind the mirror on the back (back side of mirror, outer edge,) that you can use as a safe pry point to pop that first (white) ball and socket joint out. Then do the big middle one, and then the bottom, just as JFernald said. It's way easier than it sounds, but you do have to be careful not to crack your mirror. 3.) As for JF's trouble getting the R mirror glass back in, it was a little daunting, but my solution was to manually position each socket to face straight out, and then pop in the middle one, the right one, and the bottom one by firmly pushing in succession the mirror's middle, right, and bottom, thus popping each ball back into its respective circuit. Did not need to use the electric motor to try to line them up under there. Trust me, it was all easy ,and if I could do this, anyone can. Hope I was of some additional help. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll be tackling this project this week. I did the mirror caps on my 500, they were a bit tricky but I was successful. I just got the car this week and I would be heartbroken if I broke something this soon.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
And that process does indeed work... like a charm. I had bought replacement mirror caps and based on all the prior heartache I'd read about the process, I was dreading the process of removing the old ones. Then I saw a video similar to this one, went out to my garage, and literally five minutes later I was done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Same experience here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Are clips ends up being broken? I looking to repaint mine, but that approach seems can brake the cap..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just did mine in my driveway following the Mopar instructions, took 20 minutes.

I started with the passenger side which took most of my time. The mirror requires a lot of force to remove and a lot of force to clip back in. Once the centre ball clips in and the mirror is being held but still loose, push really hard near the bottom of the glass to seat the bottom clip, then really hard near the right side if the glass to snap the other one in place. It really wasn't all that bad.

Driver's side was a walk in the park after that. Required half as much force to remove the glass and popping it back in was effortless. Took 5 mins to do that one.

For removing the covers, I'd recommend starting with the inner most clip towards the body of the car. Get a finger in there and push the cover away from the inside while pushing that clip. You'll see the light from outside start to peek through. Then work your way to the next clip over and so on.

I was nervous to do this install but honestly it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought. I'd do it again no problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
21 - 40 of 41 Posts