Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone help with how to remove that long trim piece from the dash without breaking anything?

I painted the three round AC outlets to match my car's paint color (reported in a post on interior mods) I'm now ready to paint the long piece of dash trim in the car color, but the piece doesn't want to give up its attachment to the dash.

I have a few pictures of what I'm talking about.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Gauge
Electronics Machine

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
334 Posts
Are you familiar with removing the gauge cluster surround? The piece you’re wanting to remove is kind of layered in all of them.

Basically, you grab the cluster surround from the back and pull forward - it’s just held in with pressure clips, but does take a good amount of force to loosen. Just pull towards yourself and it will come loose - the whole surround with the two air vents.

In budging that loose you also loosen that piece your interested in on the left side. It can be pulled loose at this point. Again - takes some pressure, but it’s just the air vent wedged into the dash and then some pressure clips on the right side.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you familiar with removing the gauge cluster surround? The piece you’re wanting to remove is kind of layered in all of them.

Basically, you grab the cluster surround from the back and pull forward - it’s just held in with pressure clips, but does take a good amount of force to loosen. Just pull towards yourself and it will come loose - the whole surround with the two air vents.

In budging that loose you also loosen that piece your interested in on the left side. It can be pulled loose at this point. Again - takes some pressure, but it’s just the air vent wedged into the dash and then some pressure clips on the right side.
James, Thanks for such a quick reply. I think I understand your description. I will try it when I feel a bit more confidant. I want the paint and adhesive on my round AC vents to be thoroughly cured if I'm going to move two of them with the gauge cluster surround.

Looking forward to bringing more of the red color into the cabin. Julia

·
Registered
2018 Abarth
130 Posts
Actually, you shouldn't need to do anything with the gauge hood to remove that trim piece. It's just a pain in the rear to release it. I've done it twice now doing Android Auto installs.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The instructions in this thread should get you there:

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
334 Posts
Actually, you shouldn't need to do anything with the gauge hood to remove that trim piece. It's just a pain in the rear to release it. I've done it twice now doing Android Auto installs.
This is true - it’s not layered in a way that requires gauge hood removal. It would probably help to have a set of trim tools though to pry up with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts