Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This how-to is written for the people who break the tabs on their ignition coil connectors like I did the first time I tried to take one off. It seems intuitive now that the yellow tab slides to the rear and you press the black tab down to pull off but I didn’t know that the first time I wanted to check my spark plugs. So, I pried it off with a screwdriver and broke it. It still pushed on. It just didn’t lock down anymore. It drove my OCD crazy.
@What'sHisName? did the same thing and wrote that upon checking, a new wiring harness was $600. However, he was able to order just the connector bit from a company called Digi-Key Electronics. I also ordered a couple of connectors for a total of $6.44 shipped and threw them in a drawer for six months until my OCD finally got the best of me.

The first thing you will do is use a small flathead screwdriver to take off the plastic elbow covering the wires. There is a tab on three sides. Take a photo so you’ll know how to reinstall these wires later.

Next, use a pick to pry off the black plastic cover on the rear. Once you get that off you’ll also see a red rubber cover on the inside. You can pry that up as well. Just leave these on the wires. You’ll reuse these.

Next, use your pick to pry back the red locking cap. It slides off to one side. It takes a bit of convincing but will unlock if you pick in the front of the cap like I am doing in the photo. I went ahead and took it all the way off. This was the hardest part of the whole process.

Now pick back the small black tabs a bit and you’ll be able to pull out each wire.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Reinsert the wires into your new connector in the correct holes, remembering to refer to your picture. Push them in until you feel them lock into place.

Now you can reinsert the red rubber cap and black plastic cover.

Reinstall the elbow and you’re all done.

When I first cranked the car, it did not run well but didn’t throw a CEL. I pulled all my connectors (as I had checked all my spark plugs before doing this) and made sure everything was seated good and locked down. After that, the car ran just fine. I probably should have paid closer attention to how the wiring pins were oriented when they came out of the original connector and made sure they went back in the same way. If I have trouble again I’ll pull it and check to make sure they are aligned the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well done, hopefully others will learn the easy way now, but will also have the fix if they learned the hard way.

Steve.

Reactions: Chainringtattoo

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Second time's the charm.

I didn't get a test drive on this last night and had a sneaking suspicion I didn't get the pins aligned correctly. As soon as I got it out on the road today and gave it some power I got a CEL and I knew what I had done.

Pulling it apart you can see I didn't get the middle pin inserted. If you don't get the orientation right it won't go all the way in.

Fortunately this was a quick fix to pull the wire and flip it to it's correct position. How I have it in the photo below is how it is supposed to go in. Purrs like a kitten now.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey great job! This is exactly how I did it. Another note... I found the big red locking tab doesn’t even require a pick to unlock it... just a good push to the side and it will unlock.

Took me about an hour of fiddling, but I finally discovered it will unlock with a good push.

(Actually I discovered this because I was playing around with the replacement part and accidentally snapped it closed... in anger and frustration I finally pulled it apart and it popped open no problem...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I urgently need help from the forum, I was in the process of replacing my rear coil connector, (connector closest the the firewall under the tower) bar after breaking it when replacing spark plugs. I took a picture of the three wire orientation using my phone before removing the wires from the harness. Now I can't find the picture on my phone a day later and after removing the wires from the connector. Can someone help me so I can get my car back on the road. the three wires are shown below, I have a 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. The wires are white/brown, blue/red, purple/black. I assume the red/blue is the middle wire?
20190615_113720.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I urgently need help from the forum, I was in the process of replacing my rear coil connector, (connector closest the the firewall under the tower) bar after breaking it when replacing spark plugs. I took a picture of the three wire orientation using my phone before removing the wires from the harness. Now I can't find the picture on my phone a day later and after removing the wires from the connector. Can someone help me so I can get my car back on the road. the three wires are shown below, I have a 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. The wires are white/brown, blue/red, purple/black. I assume the red/blue is the middle wire?
View attachment 72029
Many many thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 72029
How disappointing the forum migration broke all the photo links.

Mine were oriented like this. Good luck.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Super Moderator
1,024 Posts
Thanks for a great thread! The bits that make up our ignition harness are obviously delicate and expensive. Divinely has been a source for all sorts of stuff for me, but it came as a surprise that they have these parts.
Best Regards
Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts