Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How To Replace Shift & E-Brake Boots​

Overview:
This tutorial shows how to remove and replace the shift and e-brake boots on the manual FIAT 124 Spider.

Notes:
- Take your time during the installation, and don’t force anything If something isn’t working right, double-check the installation steps.
- When fitting the new leather over the boot frames, take your time and don’t force the frames or the tabs. It may take a bit of massaging to install the boots as the leather is still new. It may be a tight fit at first.

Tools Required:
- Plastic trim removal tool(s) (Available on Amazon.com)
- #2 Phillips screwdriver

Part Required:
New Shift & E-Brake Boots. I recommend the set from Madness AutoWorks by BLACK.

Procedure:
1. Remove the shift knob by unscrewing counter-clockwise.

2. Using your trim removal tool, first lift the corner shown below. Once this snaps up, work your way down and to the left around the edge.

3. Next, wedge your trim removal tool and lift as shown below.

4. The below photo shows the locations of the retainers securing the cover. Once you’ve freed the shift boot cover, simply lift up and backward. It may help to move the shifter into 4th gear.

5. Underneath the shift boot cover, disconnect the two harness connectors shown below.

6. Flip the shift boot cover over, and remove the two Phillips screws shown below.

7. Remove the OEM shift boot and frame from the shift boot cover. Remove the boot from the frame by sliding the boot through the tabs on the frame as shown below.

8. The new shift boot has two large slots. Use these slots for the tabs shown below.

9. Carefully work your way around, fitting the slots over the tabs on the frame. Once done, re-fit the boot on the shift boot cover and reinstall the screws removed in step 6.

10. Remove the two Phillips screws toward the front of the console.

Continued in next post...

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
11. Unsnap the console cover at the outer corners. You should be able to simply pull outward with two fingers.

12. Lift the back of the console, starting from the edges. This should snap up with little effort.

13. To remove the e-brake boot, simply push on the red tabs, and the frame will pop right out.

14. Using the same method as before, slide the e-brake boot off of the frame tabs.

15. Fit the new boot onto the frame. The seam of the boot should line up with the frontward tab on the frame. Once done, simply snap the frame back into the console cover.

16. Reinstall the console cover and the two screws toward the front.

17. Re-attach the harness connectors to the shift boot cover.

18. Reinstall the shift boot cover. Note that there are two tabs toward the front that need to be aligned with the center console. Push the cover forward, then snap it down.

19. Slide the e-brake boot as far back as it will go.

20. Make sure the shift knob is tight, and you’re all done!

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, fantastic tutorial. Question, where did u get the brake handle with the red stitching?.
It came that way on my Abarth. Might be an abarth-only feature.

·
Vendor
669 Posts
Great review! Thank you for sharing!

We are really happy with the amount detail and good photos you offer the community in your reviews!

Thank you again!

·
Administrator
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great review! Thank you for sharing!

We are really happy with the amount detail and good photos you offer the community in your reviews!

Thank you again!
Oh I still have a review of these coming! These made an impression, but I know what you're referring to.

I began wrenching on my car out of necessity; at age 16, any work that had to be done on my car had to be done in the garage as I couldn't afford a mechanic. As I learned more over the years, I grew to value the contributions others made on various automotive discussion boards. Writing thorough tutorials for modifications, repairs, or maintenance tasks will empower others to do their own work on their vehicles out of confidence and comfort with the procedure, even if just for the enjoyment of it. It makes these modifications seem less intimidating to beginners.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Where did you get the new leather boot?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Will a thin screwdriver work in lieu of that removal tool gizmo?

Reactions: GregtheBike

·
Registered
733 Posts
I got my suede shift and e-brake boots today, but they sent black stitching instead of red. Contacted them, told them what happened, and they're sending me boots with red stitching. I might see if I can follow this tutorial and get these boots installed in the meantime, just to get the experience. Or, I might just wait until I get the red stitched ones, so I only have to do this once!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I got my suede shift and e-brake boots today, but they sent black stitching instead of red. Contacted them, told them what happened, and they're sending me boots with red stitching. I might see if I can follow this tutorial and get these boots installed in the meantime, just to get the experience. Or, I might just wait until I get the red stitched ones, so I only have to do this once!

having done it I'd say once...
its not that hard, but its not like you'd want to do it twice

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for this!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Maybe would be a good thing doing both the leather boot and the Carplay, since these parts need to be removed.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
When the buy the shift boot and the break boot, you just buy the boot and use the eom or the shift boot comes with the **** boot.
I was looking at the Redlinegoods, with discouts camt to $74. US problem is that my friend is leaving Florida May 10
and according to Redline free shipping will be beyond May 10.

I would be looking for black leather, Red Stitching but with a Scorpion logo on it. So I have till winter to look for.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I was ordering the Shift and break boot from Redline and have it shipped to Italy and transaction was refused maybe due to network down. It's costing me $70. due to this problem they say they'll give another 10% which should be $63.00 US

Anyone have a suggestion on this order. tia

I would of like if they heat stamped the scorpion on the shift boot. I know I took a metal scorpion heat it and placed it on a leatherette and the stamp came out great. Don't over heat that white metal cause it will over heat and melt.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
They said some problem with my Credit Card, I did purchase afterwards and it went through. Paid Paypal.
Looks like I Italy will surprise me, foot rest pedal, **** and break boot will be awaiting for me.

What else can I bring from there. I will not pay taxes on the way back duty free and maybe collect the IVA. why not.

I have to stop travelling, it's costing me more than the trips.
-Wilwood break
-biestein shocks(almost new)
-foot pedal, shift and break boot

Next trip (car play parts)

Reactions: wolf18t
1 - 20 of 24 Posts