How To Replace Shift & E-Brake Boots
This tutorial shows how to remove and replace the shift and e-brake boots on the manual FIAT 124 Spider.
- Take your time during the installation, and don’t force anything If something isn’t working right, double-check the installation steps.
- When fitting the new leather over the boot frames, take your time and don’t force the frames or the tabs. It may take a bit of massaging to install the boots as the leather is still new. It may be a tight fit at first.
- Plastic trim removal tool(s) (Available on Amazon.com)
- #2 Phillips screwdriver
New Shift & E-Brake Boots. I recommend the set from Madness AutoWorks by BLACK.
1. Remove the shift knob by unscrewing counter-clockwise.
2. Using your trim removal tool, first lift the corner shown below. Once this snaps up, work your way down and to the left around the edge.
3. Next, wedge your trim removal tool and lift as shown below.
4. The below photo shows the locations of the retainers securing the cover. Once you’ve freed the shift boot cover, simply lift up and backward. It may help to move the shifter into 4th gear.
5. Underneath the shift boot cover, disconnect the two harness connectors shown below.
6. Flip the shift boot cover over, and remove the two Phillips screws shown below.
7. Remove the OEM shift boot and frame from the shift boot cover. Remove the boot from the frame by sliding the boot through the tabs on the frame as shown below.
8. The new shift boot has two large slots. Use these slots for the tabs shown below.
9. Carefully work your way around, fitting the slots over the tabs on the frame. Once done, re-fit the boot on the shift boot cover and reinstall the screws removed in step 6.
10. Remove the two Phillips screws toward the front of the console.
Continued in next post...
41.3 KB Views: 2,496
62 KB Views: 2,268
45 KB Views: 2,209
59.9 KB Views: 2,144
57 KB Views: 2,007
65.6 KB Views: 2,086
46.7 KB Views: 1,983
54.5 KB Views: 1,935
47.8 KB Views: 1,892
45.1 KB Views: 1,903