Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was so excited to start to disassemble the driver seat to tale it out and finally replace the oem rail with the Aurora to lower the seat, I have mistakenly destroyed the front seat left side torx bolt head by using the wrong socket ( instead of the E12 socket I have...). I pull full power and damage was served. The E12 doesn not get in now ( how wonder...) , I have tried using an exctractor socket but I ended up depressed and in a worse situation than before.The idea is to dremel the top of the bolt a d usinn a hand impact screwdriver in the hope the hammering the top of the thing will cause the bolt to unscrew.
Anyone has a better solution ? I haven t found a similar part ( exact same torx) available on the web but I think I can change that with a similar bolt with a different amd more common head...supposing I ll get that dead metal corpse out of the car.
correct? Thanx for any input/help

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bolts are not the same even though same size may look the same on the top. They usually have the hardening value and where you need a 10 bolt you should not use 8.8, and often also wise versa, not to mention unclassified bolts. There are huge differences in strength, stretch, cut and fatigue resistance on the bolts.

There are specific tools to remove cut & broken bolts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@santu. Of course I did ruined it by mistake using the wrong socket. I thought to have placed the right one but I did not. To try to solve that I have used a specific tool to extract damaged bolts and I did not have any values of the hardness of torx damaged or viceversa. I have used the extractor for what is supposed to do but I no success . @yatwing , I ll do it. @ameridan thanx for the idea. I have not the tool nor the experience to do that but in case anything else fail, I ll ask someone to do that for me.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Grinder with a cutoff wheel. Once the seat is out, there is more access to get the remains of the bolt out. or, using a saw or grinder, cut a slot in the top for a flat blade on a socket wrench.

all depends on the amount of access to the bolt.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grinder with a cutoff wheel. Once the seat is out, there is more access to get the remains of the bolt out. or, using a saw or grinder, cut a slot in the top for a flat blade on a socket wrench.

all depends on the amount of access to the bolt.
The slot is what I thought as a try. I ll get a pic tonite when back home

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've also had luck in getting the next largest size bit and tapping / hammering it into the stripped head and then breaking the screw loose. Caveat this has worked well for me on small screws and I haven't tried it on a car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Solved. At the end the only solution that worked was to tig weld a bolt on the damaged nut as @ameridan suggested. A shop had to do it for me. I have now started to disassemble the seat. I do not know by the way what kind of torque is applied by the maufacturing process, but I had to apply all my force and weight to unscrew many of the bolts of the seats not mentioning those planted on the car floor. That everyone for helping me

Reactions: wrh3
1 - 11 of 11 Posts