Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

How many times is VIN displayed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many times does the VIN appear on your spider? I guess just twice (embossed into chassis somewhere and a VIN plate) is not enough these days?! Let's see how many you can count...here's a poll !
[VIN identification via OBD port does not count, easily visible only]

Reactions: 2018 Fiat 124

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...only 8 votes so far, let's see if we can get a few more?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don’t keep us in suspense Azurra lad. What is the answer?

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the number excludes things like the ownership card that comes with the vehicle.... you're asking about how many location actually attached to the vehicle.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct, actually attached to the vehicle, and excluding any documentation like the service book etc.

I set the poll up to run for 7 days, up to 20 votes now, so please be patient and all will be revealed on Monday...until then :censored:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, last bump! Over 400 views but only 20 votes (plus mine) so come on, vote now...answers will be revealed shortly...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Righty ho then, only 21 responses (plus mine) with the poll results as follows (number of times the VIN appears - number of votes)

2 - 7
3 - 5
4 - 1
5 - 2
6 - 3
8 - 1
9 - 1
11 - 1
15 - 1

So popular wisdom is that the VIN appears just twice then, eh?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...well on my Spider, I have the following VIN appearances:

1: chassis plate visible through lower part of windscreen/windshield
2: stamped into floor pan visible by lifting up section of carpet ahead of right seat (RHD driver's seat)
3: Black sticker on door opening containing homologation details, kerb weight etc.

...and 3 should have alerted you to another small sticker with Mazda scripts nearby, so that's

4: on rear of door opening (driver's side)

...and a whiole load more...

5: rear of door opening (passenger's side)
6: front of door opening (under check strap, driver's side)
7: front of door opening (under check strap, passenger's side)
8: rear of door (above door catch, driver's side)
9: rear of door (above door catch, passenger's side)
10: undeneath rear edge of boot (trunk) lid
11: on black plastic moulding just behind top rear edge of front bumper

I make it 11, and there was just one vote for 11...

...from me, so does that make me the winner? ;)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have to remove any carpet panels to find one in the boot (trunk) that doesn't count.

However, I think the correct answer is 12, I think there is one on the underside front edge of the bonnet (hood) as well, I just didn't take a picture of that one

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If you have to remove any carpet panels to find one in the boot (trunk) that doesn't count.

However, I think the correct answer is 12, I think there is one on the underside front edge of the bonnet (hood) as well, I just didn't take a picture of that one
Thats exactly where I was going.... I recall seeing one under the hood/bonnet. It makes sense for one to be there.

·
Registered
778 Posts

So removing carpet inside the cabin to find one counts, but doing so in the trunk does not?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do vehicles no longer have one somewhere in a frame rail that almost requires a rack and a small flashlight? That used to be a standard, ostensibly designed to help step the flow of chop shops (and clearly a futile requirement).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts