Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
what's that " EUROCOMPULSION " ???
Eurocompulsion is a performance parts shop in the US. They have a lot of great stuff for the 124 Spider and if you search the forum you will find many many treads that speak very highly of their service and products. Here is a quick link to their 124 page and I would definitely speak to someone on the forum who is associated with them before you put their ECU or Tunes on your car for all the reasons you stated in the start of this thread. Happy Hunting!

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124

·
Registered
53 Posts
As far as I can tell the Abarths and Fiats engines are mechanically identical. The only difference is in the ECU. Dealers in the UK were told that Abarths used a different turbo, however, this turns out not to be true. So, in theory, an ECU bench flash tune (where they take yours out and write to it outside the car) or OBD2 tune (where they write via a device plugged into the OBD2 port) would not vary between the two models.

The 3rd option is a tuning box, however, this effectively boosts what you already have, do if your starting point is a lower HP fiat, you would not end up with the same power as an Abarth with the same unit.

Euro-compulsion supply all of the above.

Although in the case of a warranty claim you can put the original map back on, it does change a counter on the ECU, so if Fiat looked hard enough they can tell that your car has been altered and invalidate your claim. However, I don't know if this has ever happened in practice. To avoid this possibility, there are two options, either the tuning box which is removable and leaves no trace, or clone ECU. This is where you (or someone like EC) order a new ECU and someone (like EC) clone it. You then keep your original ECU somewhere safe and do what you want with the copy you keep running in your car. In the event of problems you put the original back on. This is of course the most expensive option at about $1200 and will leave your car out of action for a week or so whilst the ECU is being cloned and flashed. If you're not worried about the flash counter, OBD2 would seem to be the best option. With either you should end up with a 200HP beast that will be much faster than a stock Abarth.

The only thing that's stopping me doing any of the above is total confidence that original assumption (that Euro-spec fiats and abarths do have identical power units) is true.

Just FYI, information on this forum suggests that in reality, Euro spec 124s are actually running 155 HP, not 140 as Fiat claim.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I can tell the Abarths and Fiats engines are mechanically identical. The only difference is in the ECU. Dealers in the UK were told that Abarths used a different turbo, however, this turns out not to be true. So, in theory, an ECU bench flash tune (where they take yours out and write to it outside the car) or OBD2 tune (where they write via a device plugged into the OBD2 port) would not vary between the two models.

The 3rd option is a tuning box, however, this effectively boosts what you already have, do if your starting point is a lower HP fiat, you would not end up with the same power as an Abarth with the same unit.

Euro-compulsion supply all of the above.

Although in the case of a warranty claim you can put the original map back on, it does change a counter on the ECU, so if Fiat looked hard enough they can tell that your car has been altered and invalidate your claim. However, I don't know if this has ever happened in practice. To avoid this possibility, there are two options, either the tuning box which is removable and leaves no trace, or clone ECU. This is where you (or someone like EC) order a new ECU and someone (like EC) clone it. You then keep your original ECU somewhere safe and do what you want with the copy you keep running in your car. In the event of problems you put the original back on. This is of course the most expensive option at about $1200 and will leave your car out of action for a week or so whilst the ECU is being cloned and flashed. If you're not worried about the flash counter, OBD2 would seem to be the best option. With either you should end up with a 200HP beast that will be much faster than a stock Abarth.

The only thing that's stopping me doing any of the above is total confidence that original assumption (that Euro-spec fiats and abarths do have identical power units) is true.

Just FYI, information on this forum suggests that in reality, Euro spec 124s are actually running 155 HP, not 140 as Fiat claim.

I hope this helps.
ok thanks a lot, anybody here to confirm that the "normal" spider has 155 HP mesured iso 140 HP ???

·
Registered
53 Posts
AHa, now I know.

They are indeed identical, however, some tunes modify parameters based on what's there, much like a tuning box, so the higher you start, the betters, others (like EC) write the whole thing. So, to maximize benefit, go to someone (like EC) who will give you the whole thing. What I'm doing is getting my ECU cloned here, then getting a Eurocompulsion OBD2 to write to it. I will keep my original ECU in a safe somewhere!

·
Registered
189 Posts
AHa, now I know.

They are indeed identical, however, some tunes modify parameters based on what's there, much like a tuning box, so the higher you start, the betters, others (like EC) write the whole thing. So, to maximize benefit, go to someone (like EC) who will give you the whole thing. What I'm doing is getting my ECU cloned here, then getting a Eurocompulsion OBD2 to write to it. I will keep my original ECU in a safe somewhere!
Hi Joe, I have been on steep learning curve since last September re ECU's and tuning 'modern' engines and I think I know most of the questions and some of the answers. I moving towards a similar solution to you based on OBD2 to save the problems of the ECU taking a journey to the States. I will send you a PM with a question and an idea.

I must drive the car more - still not done 500 miles yet - long story.
Danny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts