Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaned my car out to my brother in-law and he came back with the check engine light on. I checked the codes and got an HVAC system issue.

Code: P1CEA - "Boost Side EVAP Purge System Performance"

I checked all the vacuum hoses, the gas cap, and even replaced the cover to the airlifter box, perhaps the connectors were cracked? The engine light is still on.

Is there anything my brother in-law could have done to cause this? I'm not sure what is left to check. Any help?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
FIAT
FIAT DTC P1CEA

Make: FIAT
Code: P1CEA
Definition: Boost Side EVAP Purge System Performance
Description: The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects insufficient vapor flow detected in the evaporative system operation during a boost condition.
Cause:
  • EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE FTP SENSOR 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
  • EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE FTP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
  • EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE FTP SENSOR RETURN CIRCUIT
  • BLOCKAGE/FLASH AT THE PORTS ON THE CAC DUCT AND THE AIR CLEANER
  • EVAPORATIVE PURGE HOSE/TUBE AND AIR FILTER OBSTRUCTION
  • OBD VENT VALVE OR THE EJECTOR TEE MALFUNCTION
  • FUEL TANK PRESSURE SENSOR
  • PURGE SOLENOID VACUUM SUPPLY
  • EVAPORATIVE PURGE HOSE/TUBE AND FRESH AIR FILTER OBSTRUCTION
  • PURGE SOLENOID
  • POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket intake? I threw this code over and over when I had a EC V4 intake installed. I wound up removing it and reinstalling the stock intake.

·
Registered
2016 Fiat 124 Abarth
223 Posts
There are a batch of cars that throw this code without any modifications too. Make sure the lines going into the left of the airbox are pushed in all the way and that the clips haven't worked themselves loose

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 6MT Modded To The Moon
388 Posts
No he couldnt just by driving it. Thats a somewhat common code as it deals with the intake vaccum lines and such and its pretty sensitive so just a little change in flow will set it off. It could also just be the sensor that checks it. Most of the time its a leak though in the vac line to the intercooler, the larger diameter one.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If the car drives fine, I wouldn't over-index on it. Clear the CEL, and see if it repeats a few times, and under what conditions, before investing any time and/or $$.

·
Registered
739 Posts
EC has a fix for this.
The larger orifice didn't work for me, the car still threw the evap code occasionally. I wound up failing a state inspection because of it. I think that some cars are very sensitive to the evap code, and mine is one of them. The stock intake is fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the car drives fine, I wouldn't over-index on it. Clear the CEL, and see if it repeats a few times, and under what conditions, before investing any time and/or $$.
I have a Blue Driver OBD code reader and I was unable to clear the code. Got some message about unable to clear certain codes.
Should I get a better scanning tool?

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I have a Blue Driver OBD code reader and I was unable to clear the code. Got some message about unable to clear certain codes.
I "believe" that unless you have a dealership service department level kind of device, you have to accept that some codes you need them to clear for you. My budget doesn't support that level of investment in a higher end scan tool, but thankfully I have a great relationship with my dealership, and if I need a code cleared that I can't reset myself... they do it in the drive through service check-in lane and it doesn't cost me a penny.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I use the BAFX OBDII adapter, together with Torque Pro on Android. Any of the codes that I can read using these tools I can also clear, incl. the infrequent p1cea. One thing to note is that I have to turn only the ignition on (without engine running) to actually clear the code. Trying to clear the code with the engine running does not clear it.

Reactions: CDPond and mtnghost

·
Registered
452 Posts

Reactions: CDPond and Swabits
1 - 20 of 22 Posts