Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I faced a similar decision and went the Eibach route. I didn't want to slam the car and don't have a need for full adjustability, but have had issues in the past with lowering springs that didn't settle evenly. I wanted things a little stiffer and a little lower, but don't track so considered the Miesters mostly to ensure some adjustability if I needed it.

That said, the springs in the Abarth are well suited to the eibach's (and some others) and I wasn't otherwise interested in the adjustability that Koni shocks and coilovers have offered me in the past. As it turned out, the car settled onto the new springs evenly without the need to adjust anything. I might not feel the same way if the install had left me with irregular gap issues, but I have zero regrets for going with the Eibachs and saved $600. YMMV

·
Administrator
2,023 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greg ...with your springs that you sell on your site, do you recommend newer/better rear bump stops?

·
Administrator
2,023 Posts
Thanks XR ...for some reason, even though they are more expensive, I am now leaning towards the FM springs with new rear bump stops. I pretty sure that you have made my decision.
Glad to be of assistance. If you do run FM springs, let me know how it goes.

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
Greg ...with your springs that you sell on your site, do you recommend newer/better rear bump stops?
Nope, my official suggestion for a fast street and occasional track car is H&R springs, Eibach anti-sway bars and that's it.

Now for more hardcore track action, the list changes quite a bit, but for a street car, that setup is hard to beat and it won't break the bank. It's what I run on my own car.

Greg

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Nope, my official suggestion for a fast street and occasional track car is H&R springs, Eibach anti-sway bars and that's it.

Now for more hardcore track action, the list changes quite a bit, but for a street car, that setup is hard to beat and it won't break the bank. It's what I run on my own car.

Greg
@Greg
any concerns with speed bumps or parking stops? Dragging underneath or bumping the stops, when parking?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks XR ...for some reason, even though they are more expensive, I am now leaning towards the FM springs with new rear bump stops. I pretty sure that you have made my decision.
That is my top choice as well! After a lot of research

Reactions: SteveWy

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
@Greg
any concerns with speed bumps or parking stops? Dragging underneath or bumping the stops, when parking?
Nope, it's just fine. I wouldn't say I have NO concerns, I have some consideration for any speed bump, even at standard height. However with the H&R springs, I haven't found a speed bump that will cause it to drag, there really haven't been any issues. When parking I am careful not to go up too far, but it does just barely clear a standard parking stop or curb.

Greg

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone had any problems with their self adjusting headlights pointing down, following car lowering? ...and how did you go about fixing it?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nope, it's just fine. I wouldn't say I have NO concerns, I have some consideration for any speed bump, even at standard height. However with the H&R springs, I haven't found a speed bump that will cause it to drag, there really haven't been any issues. When parking I am careful not to go up too far, but it does just barely clear a standard parking stop or curb.

Greg
I'm with Greg on this one and plan to go with the H&Rs as well, along with their spacers. I have used H&R in the past on other cars and from what I have learned these are one of the better options. Don't cheap out though as a word of advice to others.

·
Administrator
2,023 Posts
I'm with Greg on this one and plan to go with the H&Rs as well, along with their spacers. I have used H&R in the past on other cars and from what I have learned these are one of the better options. Don't cheap out though as a word of advice to others.
Same here. I'm convinced I'll be using H&R.

·
Registered
430 Posts

Greg
Greg, what would be our official suggestion to a Lusso owner when comfort in an important factor?

Paul

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
@Greg

Greg
Mahalo @Greg !!!

Greg
@Bob Z mahalo ...wise words sir. Wise indeed.

Reactions: Greg

·
Vendor
3,657 Posts
Greg, what would be our official suggestion to a Lusso owner when comfort in an important factor?

Paul
H&R or stock. Springs are always a trade off, I think the H&Rs have the right balance between comfort and performance for a street car, but if comfort is THE top priority (which would make the 124 a strange choice) then the stock springs are the way to go.

Greg

·
Registered
430 Posts
H&R or stock. Springs are always a trade off, I think the H&Rs have the right balance between comfort and performance for a street car, but if comfort is THE top priority (which would make the 124 a strange choice) then the stock springs are the way to go.

Greg
Hmmmm, maybe I'm shopping the wrong car. :(

Thanks for making me pause to give a little more thought about my decision before I make a purchase. :)

Paul

·
Administrator
2,023 Posts
Hmmmm, maybe I'm shopping the wrong car. :(

Thanks for making me pause to give a little more thought about my decision before I make a purchase. :)

Paul
A bit off topic, but what exactly are you looking for in a car?

Lowered and ride comfort don't usually go well together. If you're looking for some resemblance of comfort, you'd look at a Lusso or Classic and keep it at stock ride height. They ride fine in that configuration.

Have you driven one?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts