Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Lusso. I was wiping down the interior and my towel grabbed the odometer trip reset stick and it broke. It's just hanging there and doesn't click in or turn.

My question is if I can fix this myself? Where do I find the instructions on taking apart this part of the dash? I can't find any threads about this on the boards here. I'm pretty handy and have the tools but I guess I'm wondering if this is worth the hassle or should I just pay them to fix it at the dealership?

For background, I have little faith in the dealer because it seems like the dealer in town hasn't worked on many of these judging from the comments I've received when I've taken it in to get oil changes and when I was part of that thermostat recall. I also am not happy with the dealer because they were the only ones that had done oil changes (or any work) on the car and I had a rattle in the undercarriage and it turns out a bunch of the nuts had fallen off that hold the oil drain plug access plate in place. Then they wanted like $80 to replace the nuts and took no responsibility. I talked them down on the price but I probably could have just gone to the hardware store and got the right nuts, I just don't have a lift and there is nowhere on the car where my floor jack can fit to lift this car. And I just called them today to schedule a 20,000 mile service and the guy was oblivious to what that service was. He was like "so just an oil change?" and I repeated that I am asking for all the things the manual says should be done at 20,000. He said "the multipoint inspection we do with an oil change should cover it" so I am less than impressed, especially since I just found the threads on this board about the cabin air filter (net) and how you have to remove half the dash to get to it. Anyway, sorry for the rant, but this is my first post on this board so I guess I had a lot to say after following the threads for the last 3 years. Thanks for having an active and helpful community.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Getting the cluster out is pretty easy. See my thread on revlimiter gauge install.

However the actual cluster isna closed unit..from memory you can undo tabs to get access to the internals, but I have no idea what that needle is attached to.

If you do that you'll need to remove the needles..I did it ok but its delicate and you risk snapping the stepper motor shaft.

I'd say it's worth getting the cluster out.

By the way I actually shortened my trip needle once I had the cluster out to prevent this very thing!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I noticed that if you pull that stick, it does not reset, maybe if some left it will unscrew. take a pic so we can see how much stick is out. Or use a long swab to rotate.

Reactions: SitcomAudience

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed that if you pull that stick, it does not reset, maybe if some left it will unscrew. take a pic so we can see how much stick is out. Or use a long swab to rotate.
It was still hanging there and based on your comment I pushed it a little harder than I had been pushing and then turned it and now it seems to have re-seated into place. The trip button works and the spinning does change the lights now. It doesn't seem to always get to the brightest setting without futzing but I don't like it that bright anyway. It still seems more loose than it was originally but at least it is no longer hanging in front of the temperature gauge.

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Here's a tip for cleaning/dusting the interior, including instrument cluster, infotainment, HVAC controls and all the rest....use a household "Swiffer" duster. Works a treat. Gets in all the nooks and crannies...shift boot, handbrake boot etc...use it on all the surfaces...you'll be surprised and satisfied...try it, you'll like it!! Top the the dash loves it too...

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Yea Boddle, I discovered this trick a couple of years ago and use it on all my cars....just a couple of minutes on the interior and things look brand new again....I always said to the wife I would keep this detailing secret to myself...but hey, it's good to share.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It was still hanging there and based on your comment I pushed it a little harder than I had been pushing and then turned it and now it seems to have re-seated into place. The trip button works and the spinning does change the lights now. It doesn't seem to always get to the brightest setting without futzing but I don't like it that bright anyway. It still seems more loose than it was originally but at least it is no longer hanging in front of the temperature gauge.

THANKS!
this just happened to me must have been at the car wash today! What do I do just force/push it in? It still dims and does trip A and B but it’s dangling!!!

help!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have posted an update: A few days after I thought I had reseated the stick button, it fell out again and has been dangling ever since. Which reminds me that I was going to order that part. I may never get around to installing it since it requires removing most of the dash, but like I said in the OP, I just don't trust the dealer to not mess up this work since they never get a chance to work on this type of car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I guess I’ll take it to the dealer.
I should have posted an update: A few days after I thought I had reseated the stick button, it fell out again and has been dangling ever since. Which reminds me that I was going to order that part. I may never get around to installing it since it requires removing most of the dash, but like I said in the OP, I just don't trust the dealer to not mess up this work since they never get a chance to work on this type of car.
I will be going in for an oil change on Friday, I’ll have the dealer look at it and see what they think.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Fk me!! It’s a $1,500 part. I’m going to see if I can stabilize it with a toothpick, maybe paint it black and pass it through using electrical tape to hold them together and conceal it.
That is today’s project.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I ended up buying a small circular velcro piece from an arts and crafts store, folded it in half and wedge it in there to prop the needle up. I’ll just leave it at that I guess, it looks better.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
bloody hell.... $1500 !!! That's a whisky tango foxtrot moment for sure. Based on that estimate, I'm guessing their solution was to replace the entire instrument cluster, correct? And if that's the case, then attempting to source from Mazda wouldn't be an option, as they're not the same. I guess the workaround you came up with is the solution.

....unless you're brave enough to disassemble everything and try to epxoy the piece back together, or, source a replacement cluster from a part out shop.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
That woudl be the unit, and in the fifth photo in the ad (where it's tilted up) you can clearly see the "stick" poking out from the top. I have to admit, I was surprised how long it actually is. I guess I just never paid that much attention to it, other than when I needed to use it I was able to grab it. $275 sounds a lot better than $1500.

Reactions: Scorpius

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting the cluster out is pretty easy. See my thread on revlimiter gauge install. However the actual cluster isna closed unit..from memory you can undo tabs to get access to the internals, but I have no idea what that needle is attached to. If you do that you'll need to remove the needles..I did it ok but its delicate and you risk snapping the stepper motor shaft. I'd say it's worth getting the cluster out. By the way I actually shortened my trip needle once I had the cluster out to prevent this very thing!
Can you post a link to your thread on removing the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting the cluster out is pretty easy. See my thread on revlimiter gauge install.

However the actual cluster isna closed unit..from memory you can undo tabs to get access to the internals, but I have no idea what that needle is attached to.

If you do that you'll need to remove the needles..I did it ok but its delicate and you risk snapping the stepper motor shaft.

I'd say it's worth getting the cluster out.

By the way I actually shortened my trip needle once I had the cluster out to prevent this very thing!
Can you post a link to your thread?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts