Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my VIN from my local dealer. That means my Abarth has been built. I ordered it nearly 5 months ago and can hardly wait for it to arrive. Bummer is I live in Minnesota and that means snow! My hope is that it will be delivered on a shiny dry day. I plan to break it in on a road trip to Tulsa, OK and back. That should put about 1600 miles on it before I put it to bed in my garage till Spring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My order

You are probably right, I just got lucky. When I initially made my $500 deposit, I basically requested that the car come with all options. I believe my dealer was able to tag my car from some sort of production schedule or manifest he got access to from his US Fiat rep. When the dealer later contacted me (abut a month ago) he said that I could pick from a specific inventory that was to arrive some time in November. Today, he confirmed that it was built and gave me the VIN#. The only option that I had to pass on (wanting the vehicle as soon as possible) were the brembo brakes. If I wanted them, I was told I would have to wait till late spring or early summer. I figure I can always add them later if I want to. I am getting the Abarth in Bianco Gelato (White), Luxury package with AT as my wife has a foot problem. Now it is just a waiting game for delivery. Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I recently had a deposit down for the same exact car you are getting, Drew. Same story about the Fiat rep accessing the production schedule manifest, with November delivery. I was told that I would get a vin number at some point.

By a stroke of good luck I found an identical car 2,000 miles away at a small town Dodge dealer and had it delivered 10 days ago. No Brembos. I'm getting the red Wilwoods installed next week. I cancelled the original special order and had my money refunded. At least you have a vin number to rely on now. I wasn't trusting the system. Congrats.

Wait until you see your car in person. It's stunning. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks LBJ, I also found my car in NYC but I wanted to keep it local. Keep me posted on the new brakes. Are you planning on any other modifications? I plan to run stock for awhile and wait for EC's next gen product. I'll Post a picture as soon as I get mine. Enjoy Turkey Day, I'll be rooting for my Vikings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm waiting for my vin, told I'll have it in about a week after placing my order in October & that's when I'll get a delivery date, not just "spring probably march." Was able to fine an abarth in the right colour on the line, just had them add brembos & red seats.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am glad to hear that you have a VIN. I ordered an Abarth in early October, deposit was paid, order was accepted, but no VIN yet... I am starting to wonder if I am ever going to get the car. The dealer told me May or June delivery for a car ordered in October. The Dealer expected to get a VIN and build date in November, but nothing yet...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke to my dealer again earlier this week. He said that until my car arrives at port in Maryland, there will be no further updates to their system. Once in port it will be another two weeks by rail to Minnesota. I'll start to really get excited when I know it's off the ship. I'll keep you posted. The thought of just storing it right away is "killing me". As long as there is not a blizzard, I plan a break-in trip to Tulsa, OK and back as soon as it arrives. I plan to drop by Greg's shop as well.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks Drew... It looks like the May/June delivery estimate I got from my dealer is probably accurate. I ordered an Abarth in bianco pearla tricoat, with a manual transmission, the elaborazone package, red/black leather seats and brembos. I wanted the heritage racing stripe, but it is not available and cannot be ordered, despite the fact that it is all over FIAT USA's website! It saved me a couple grand, so I guess I can live without it, but I do really like the way it looks. This will be my third FIAT. I have a 500 and 500L parked out in the driveway right now.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a VIN now! What has been your experience for VIN to Delivery Time?

My Dealer seems to think the car is in Baltimore and I will get it in 2 to 3 weeks. I am not so sure that is accurate...

I ordered the Spider Abarth last October... I think that the delay was caused by ordering the red and black seats. The dealer agrees, as he has never seen one with red and black seats.

Thanks!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Steve. Back in my research days last fall, I found that the Brembos were more of a rare bird than the red seats. I got the seats, but ended up purchasing aftermarket red 6-piston Wilwoods, which I really like. Almost everyone is getting the black matte wrap instead of the paint. Even the dealers are doing it with their local wrap shops. Good luck. May your baby arrive home soon!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Jim, I wanted the Brembos, but the dealer forgot to order them. I will be adding the Wilwoods myself. I gave up on the Heritage Stripe, and I am good with that. I bought everything else to make it look like the Euro Abarth, except the "Pimple", I don't like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts