Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today (well, yesterday actually), I installed the GWR full exhaust! And by "I installed" what I mean is that I drove the car over to my friend's house and he installed it while I held the flashlight. It is great to have a "car guy" friend with a lift in his garage!

Anyway the exhaust sounds great! How the car always should have been. I was a little worried about "drone" at highway speeds but I don't notice any! Great upgrade!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
A friend with professional grade lift and skills is a good buddy to have!
While the rest of us have to make do with a couple of bricks and a 2-by-4 ...

[Hopefully, no-one takes this seriously, especially the 'hold my beer and watch this!' crowd...]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Today (well, yesterday actually), I installed the GWR full exhaust! And by "I installed" what I mean is that I drove the car over to my friend's house and he installed it while I held the flashlight. It is great to have a "car guy" friend with a lift in his garage!

Anyway the exhaust sounds great! How the car always should have been. I was a little worried about "drone" at highway speeds but I don't notice any! Great upgrade!
Hello ttflyer,

This is my GWR full exhaust with resonator and quad tips since March 2017! Got it done at their shop in San Diego and love the sound as well!

https://www.facebook.com/goodwinracing/videos/1763105567049289/

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles you drive after GWR full system? Did you get CEL on the dash?
About 600 miles so far. No CEL (knocking on wood). I don't have any other mods apart from the GFB diverter which has been on the car for about 1500 miles.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Hello ttflyer,

This is my GWR full exhaust with resonator and quad tips since March 2017! Got it done at their shop in San Diego and love the sound as well!

https://www.facebook.com/goodwinracing/videos/1763105567049289/
What about your Spider?

·
Registered
390 Posts
How many miles you drive after GWR full system? Did you get CEL on the dash?
About 600 miles so far. No CEL (knocking on wood). I don't have any other mods apart from the GFB diverter which has been on the car for about 1500 miles.
Thanks for info. I already buy GWR full but I am not sure assembly complete system or only muffler delete.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@;
Thanks for info. I already buy GWR full but I am not sure assembly complete system or only muffler delete.
I would do it all! The sound is great but so is the performance. I just love how the car drives now. It stays in it's power band (turbo spooled up) longer and just drives nice. It was good before, but i would never go back. Even if i get a CEL, I'll just clear it and press on. It does seem to hurt gas mileage but only because I always have my foot in it! (I actually did a test drive to work-about 40 miles-and babied it to see what my mileage could be and got 39 mpg so the exhaust did no harm. But it sure is fun now!)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just remember, if you have the Abarth trim level, then you don't have a resonator in the stock midpipe. So if you only go for muffler delete, then it will be quite a bit louder.

If you go for the complete system you can order the midpipe with a resonator. I think the full system is the best value if you are looking to increase performance and not just sound, because it gets rid of the pinch point in the factory crossover pipe.

I installed my full system a couple of months ago and now have 5000 miles on it with no CEL. Still believe it was the best mod for me.

The crossover pipe is secured at two points. (1) with two studs at the factory downpipe and (2)a bracket on the outlet end of the crossover pipe that is attached to a bracket on the side of the bellhousing or transmission. (cant remember exactly). I would suggest that if you are doing this install that you tighten up the nuts on the studs coming out of the downpipe first to ensure you get a good leak-free seal there. Then work on tightening up the crosspipe where it secures to the side of the bell housing second. You may need to loosen off the bracket on the bell housing to get the bolt hole to line up where you need it to be. I think this will minimize the chance of a leak at the downpipe/crossover flange.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just remember, if you have the Abarth trim level, then you don't have a resonator in the stock midpipe. So if you only go for muffler delete, then it will be quite a bit louder.

If you go for the complete system you can order the midpipe with a resonator. I think the full system is the best value if you are looking to increase performance and not just sound, because it gets rid of the pinch point in the factory crossover pipe.

I installed my full system a couple of months ago and now have 5000 miles on it with no CEL. Still believe it was the best mod for me.

The crossover pipe is secured at two points. (1) with two studs at the factory downpipe and (2)a bracket on the outlet end of the crossover pipe that is attached to a bracket on the side of the bellhousing or transmission. (cant remember exactly). I would suggest that if you are doing this install that you tighten up the nuts on the studs coming out of the downpipe first to ensure you get a good leak-free seal there. Then work on tightening up the crosspipe where it secures to the side of the bell housing second. You may need to loosen off the bracket on the bell housing to get the bolt hole to line up where you need it to be. I think this will minimize the chance of a leak at the downpipe/crossover flange.
Thank you for detailed information. I really want more power and deep sound from exhaust. I have a lot of experience with motorcycles. Specially akrapovic exhaust which is really nice deep sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts