Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm 71, have owned a couple dozen motorcycles over the past 50 plus years, 5 Miata's since 1993, and two Austin Healey Sprites, one a bug eye. Being up there in years, I bought a new 2017 Mustang this spring. After only 1,100 miles I decided to look at a 124. Two hours later I left the dealership with a white Abarth 6 speed. I love it and do not miss the Mustang.

Wayne

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm another 71-year old guy (but with only 3 Miata's in the past). I, however, was the lucky guy who got a silver Abarth 6 speed with 1,100 miles on it from a woman who for some reason just had to have a Roush Mustang. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I definitely like the vehicle ownership history. How do you feel the Abarth compares to the Mustang?

What was it that drew you away from the Mustang?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've owned a couple of 300+ HP cars. Fun, but essentially a significant chunk of the available performance is unuseable (at least responsibly) on public roads. The Fiat (and MX-5) provide all the performance you really need and because they don't overdo it on weight are endowed with handling balance you're never going to get from a 700hp Hellcat. It means me - a very average driver - can enjoy the almost all the performance of the car has to offer without terrifying myself or anyone else.

For some people, winning at the dragstrip is their thing and more power to them. Its just not me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely like the vehicle ownership history. How do you feel the Abarth compares to the Mustang?

What was it that drew you away from the Mustang?
For me the Mustang was just too big. I've been a foreign car customer since the 70's when my last American Car, 1975 Mercury Bobcat, was such a disappointment. I replaced it with a Toyota in 1978 and have been driving foreign cars since. This spring I decided to try American again. I will admit the Mustang, although it was a base model, was nice. It had 300hp from the 6 cylinder engine, nice ride, etc., but it was just too plain. Seems like everyone in our neighborhood has one, and I wanted something different. If I had bought a GT I might have been happier, but I did not want to spend that much money to get a V8.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I am 68 and this sums it all.>:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad to hear from all you ancients. Also 71, live in Tucson, sold my 62 Vette resto rod and have an 2018 Abarth on order. I can hardly wait.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The new Mustang is gorgeous and I considered it, but I'm so glad I went went with the 124. The Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger have become big & bloated. I agree with what's being said about horsepower. My late Corvette had 436 HP but it was rarely used. Yet I have lots of fun with my Abarth's torque in sports mode around town.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. I still have my '14 Challenger R/T and now the new Abarth that is my wife's daily driver. You can guess which one gets taken when we go out together.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For me the Mustang was just too big. I've been a foreign car customer since the 70's when my last American Car, 1975 Mercury Bobcat, was such a disappointment. I replaced it with a Toyota in 1978 and have been driving foreign cars since. This spring I decided to try American again. I will admit the Mustang, although it was a base model, was nice. It had 300hp from the 6 cylinder engine, nice ride, etc., but it was just too plain. Seems like everyone in our neighborhood has one, and I wanted something different. If I had bought a GT I might have been happier, but I did not want to spend that much money to get a V8.
Makes sense. Comparing the 124 to the Mustang, the Mustang probably felt like a boat! I do agree though, I hate how common Mustangs are and that's probably one reason I wouldn't buy one. Another being I'm just not a Ford fan either haha so I guess you could say I'm quite biased.

·
Registered
483 Posts
having owned a 05 mustang gt, which was just a ball to drive, after it was hit in front of my house, I decided to roadster it again. having previously owned an alfa romeo spider (flattened and flooded in hurricane katrina), I opted to get a used 2000 miata. the miata was a hoot to drive. soon thereafter came a 2000 Porsche boxster, great car but hated the fried eggs headlights. next came an 05 boxster s, loved it, but hated driving it on the roads of new Orleans (see signature below), I could rarely get up to the speed limit due to not wanting to destroy the suspension (sold to a friend who lives in D.C.). now I have an abarth and I am loving it. smooth and "torquey" great for around town and confident feeling on the interstate. the power is great, nothing like my mustang gt or boxster s, but I really did not need all the power either had and never really got the opportunity to use it. still have my miata (supercharged it, really fun) and my 124 abarth.... I guess I am just having too much fun with light weight and forced induction...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've owned a couple of 300+ HP cars. Fun, but essentially a significant chunk of the available performance is unuseable (at least responsibly) on public roads. The Fiat (and MX-5) provide all the performance you really need and because they don't overdo it on weight are endowed with handling balance you're never going to get from a 700hp Hellcat. It means me - a very average driver - can enjoy the almost all the performance of the car has to offer without terrifying myself or anyone else.

For some people, winning at the dragstrip is their thing and more power to them. Its just not me.
This. I replaced a (very beautiful) 450HP 2013 Maserati Granturismo and a 2015 330HP Infiniti Q60 with the 124 Abarth. I just wanted something smaller, that looks good, has a manual transmission and that is fun and engaging to drive. Am very happy.

That said, i will never forget the perma grin you get every time you start up the Gran Turismo in the garage. Unlike any other sound ever...

But there's a lot of baggage with a car like that. With the Fiat, I don't have to worry where I park, and the Gt was a really large car - which made it less practical for anything other than a weekend car.

Plus I still have motorcycle for when I want even more driving engagement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts