Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting increasingly annoyed by the poor interface on cruise control (see roadtrip report rant). The automatic trans version has the steering wheel flappy pads for changing gears, while my manual trans car has none. Somewhere I had an idea to obtain the flappy pads and connect them next to the poorly designed cruise control set and accel functions.

The pads part number 68338502AA (picture below) seem to discontinued on all webshops. Can anyone find out what is the correct up-to-date part number for either Fiat or Mazda?

I am ok to cut in to wires. I would connect these pads as secondary paraller buttons for the existing steering wheel cruise buttons. Is this for some reason a dead idea? Has anyone implemented this already?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I agree with you about the poor cruise control implementation, it's made worse by including a speed limiter function. On my Jaguar XF there's just a wheel to push up and activate or increase speed, down to reduce speed and separate cancel and resume buttons. Switching between cruise and speed control is via a separate switch on the centre console. Simple and intuitive.

If you can't find new, see if you can find a used set? If it were me I'd try to set the right paddle to "cruise on" / "increase speed" and left paddle to "reduce speed". Maybe even consider a "long pull" on each to do other things like switch to speed control, resume or cancel. I've no idea if it's possible or not and would have no idea how to implement it, but I can at least wish you good luck!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Okay, what do you mean by ‘speed’ control vs ‘cruise’ control? And what is this ‘speed limiter’ function?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been getting increasingly annoyed by the poor interface on cruise control (see roadtrip report rant). The automatic trans version has the steering wheel flappy pads for changing gears, while my manual trans car has none. Somewhere I had an idea to obtain the flappy pads and connect them next to the poorly designed cruise control set and accel functions.

The pads part number 68338502AA (picture below) seem to discontinued on all webshops. Can anyone find out what is the correct up-to-date part number for either Fiat or Mazda?

I am ok to cut in to wires. I would connect these pads as secondary paraller buttons for the existing steering wheel cruise buttons. Is this for some reason a dead idea? Has anyone implemented this already?
Shift Paddle - Mazda (N243-66-3P0)
also need new back cover for steering wheel
N2453204902
and screws
N24532750

·
Registered
358 Posts
Okay, what do you mean by ‘speed’ control vs ‘cruise’ control? And what is this ‘speed limiter’ function?
Sorry, I used speed control when I meant speed limiter. When switching on the cruise control with the ON button, you can press it again to toggle to speed limiter, and the warning light display on the dash changes from the "speedo with an arrow" symbol to the LIM symbol (text). Then use the SET/+ to increase and RES/- to reduce the speed limit for the limiter. The set speed is shown in the left gauge.

See attached scans from Owner Handbook (sorry, done this on my phone, can't find online version, but it's pages 120/121 of my UK handbook.
20190901_190800.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
Oops, put the second page in twice. Speed limiter may not be available even if you have cruise control, but worth looking to see if you have one of those "I never knew that" features ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Santtu, my article might be helpful. Sounds like you'll want to connect the paddle switches so they tie into 1Y and 1Z on the Start Stop Unit, rather than 1L and 1N.

EDIT: Never mind, since cruise control aren't 2 simple switches like the UP and Down shift are, this project probably isn't worth pursuing.

View attachment 72953
Thanks, very helpful. I would need to go inside the steering shift switch itself to connect the flappy pads. And while doing it would very likely brake the harness for the switches. Darn... If I'll locate a crashed vehicle I can perhaps find a sacrificial part for study...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts