Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
would you get the ECU clone, or a full exhaust, first? ...or nothing ....like to have both someday:cool:
If those are my only choices I would get the ECU clone...now if I had $1200 and wanted to max out my money... I would get the EC EDL piggyback with Race+ tuning, the EC V4 intake and have a muffler delete fabbed...and you will still have some money left over...just a thought>:)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Given the bounds of the question, I'd get the Eurocompulsion ECU clone option. But, that's me :)

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
615 Posts
For the Australian Abarth? Definitely the exhaust! It has enough poke already, anything else in that regard is just a bonus.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Agree Pete. Exhaust. At least that isn't going to compromise the warranty. Tuning mods are for when the warranty expires. The car is plenty quick enough for what it is.

·
Registered
606 Posts
but, but ....it has pretty good power, but it needs more sound .. leaning that direction
Muffler delete will solve that, and it will not be "loud" as some may think, and I am sure an exhaust shop will do the job for well under $100 (the one I use will charge about $50).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the shop build a pipe that splits into two and has come tips. It looks completely stock. it required welding some hangers for attach points. I'm sure a single pipe would cost less and work just as well for less $$

·
Registered
49 Posts
would you get the ECU clone, or a full exhaust, first? ...or nothing ....like to have both someday:cool:
What are you really after? If it is an all around better car, I would start with the brakes and maybe shocks. In all the years I've been building cars, I have found that other than drag racing, better brakes, suspension and tires will make you faster long before more power. But, if you are looking for engine performance, the piggyback units are hard to beat for the money. Exhaust will typically give you more "aural" horsepower than actual horsepower but if it makes you happy then that is important.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think most of us have to have a priority list. Personally I would get a full Good Win Racing Quad system. Better sound, less restriction allows turbo to spool sooner (less lag), and you get more power. win-win-win

2. Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve (okay I made this #1 for myself)

3. Intake (I made this my #2, with exhaust #3)

4. Brakes would be up there, if you don't have the Brembos already. Wilwood options are great

5. Suspension. At least lowering springs with a higher rate.

6. Then when you decide to get a piggyback or clone you will get the full benefits of it and be safer.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
A DV+ is a must, in my opinion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
A good, light helmet and put the rest of the money towards a season or two of autocrossing and after event food & drinks.

After that you'll be a better driver and have a better feel for what the car needs to be even more fun.

$0.02

·
Registered
805 Posts
I did the DV+...a must indeed...that was first....second was muffler delete...another must have...then a couple of nick nacks
roll bar bezels, short antenna...you know...frou frou stuff...but that's last year's list.

To celebrate the new year I'm taking a long strong look at EC's ECU clone, and some improved intake. Let the good times roll!!! So the $1200 would do the clone, and the intake....well...that's just icing on the cake....in for a penny, in for a pound...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had the DV+ in my hand before I even bought the car ...that sure that I was going to buy an Abarth. V1 was the next thing ....then from from

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm actually doing this exercise right now so I'll share my long range plan. Picking up my white base Arbarth on Saturday and with the better exhaust and sports mode am thinking I'll good with those items for now. If I had a Classica or Lusso and only $1200 then it would be a muffler delete (from local shop), air intake upgrade and an ECU.

For my Abarth

$800 right away:

CRAVENSPEED STUBBY ANTENNA Fiat 124 / 2017 $24.39

EUROCOMPULSION® ABARTH V4 AIR INDUCTION KIT FIAT 124 SPIDER / Red $324.49

GO FAST BITS DV+ Abarth $139.50

Wrap for the hood and trunk - est $300

Then drive off the tires and take my time breaking in the car over the summer. I'll see how happy I am with the Abarth stock suspension, and after driving the car over the summer I may add springs(?).

Next winter: Brakes (front and back from Goodwin in the red for looks) and Tires (PILOT SUPER SPORT 215/45/17). Perhaps the Ultra Light Battery KIT, a roll bar and/or Wheels (the Arbath wheels are too heavy but I like the stock look) if money and time permits.

Yes, someday upgrade the exhaust and perhaps upgraded sparks and other bits, then I would feel ready for an ECU clone (and in a year or two the ECU options will be much better/cheaper).

Total budget for me is in the $6500 rage plus time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
ECU clone!!!!

·
Vendor
3,369 Posts
Since I obviously have access to tons of stuff, and I actually own and drive a 124, you guys may be interested in what I actually run on my 124. This isn't really a sales pitch, it's just how I really set up my own car.

When I bought it I almost immediately went with the following performance mods.

V1 intake $169 (I am rounding everything up), Euro+Drive Lite $650, H&R springs $233, and front and rear Eibach Anti-Sway bars $300.

That's a total of $1352 and it really transforms the car and brings it to a much higher level of performance.

Of course since then I have done other things. New products that I wanted came out, and we developed new stuff. The car currently has the Euro+Drive ECU tune and a V4 intake, along with fancy wheels, stubby antennae and more.

Greg

·
Registered
727 Posts
Since I'm pretty much done with it, I'd use the money for highway motel rooms in the western states.

·
815 Posts
This is a fun thread. When we got our 124 Spider Lusso, we wanted to improve the handling first and then go from there. We started with Progressive lowering springs, Front & Rear sway bars, Enkei Wheels and new, sticky tires. This probably pushes the budget but transformed the car in every way.

Reactions: sleepy and SteveWy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts