Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New v used – which car should you choose? - Abarth 124 Spider v Porsche Boxster - New v Used | Evo

here is the article for comparison purposes. I'll be taking this route, more or less, over 8 days... lax to lax june 16 to 24

The boxster will be a turbo 4 2.5L with 300 HP instead of the articles subject with 260ish and a flat 6.

I won't be driving the spider on the route, so the boxster is going to get the confirmation bias of beautiful views and what not. My signature has my spider specs, and i'm a ph3 EC auto.....

I'm actually kind of hoping to come up with a similar conclusion, and have the weeks rental fee end up a cheaper option than selling the spider and upgrading to a boxster. If i do make the jump, i don't think i'd be interested for any less than the 2020-21 S or GTS versions, to get into the 350 hp range to make up for the extra 600 lb weight. Would likely go manual despite the benefits of the twin clutch masterpiece porsche offers.

I'll try my best to document some of the pictures from the trip. trying to get into muir woods, redwood national, and yosemite. if yosemite tickets don't open, may reroute to tahoe or other.

Feel free to add comments in about your experiences with boxster vs spider, or test drives, etc......
Screenshot 2021-06-10 9.55.35 AM.png

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
New v used – which car should you choose? - Abarth 124 Spider v Porsche Boxster - New v Used | Evo

here is the article for comparison purposes. I'll be taking this route, more or less, over 8 days... lax to lax june 16 to 24

The boxster will be a turbo 4 2.5L with 300 HP instead of the articles subject with 260ish and a flat 6.

I won't be driving the spider on the route, so the boxster is going to get the confirmation bias of beautiful views and what not. My signature has my spider specs, and i'm a ph3 EC auto.....

I'm actually kind of hoping to come up with a similar conclusion, and have the weeks rental fee end up a cheaper option than selling the spider and upgrading to a boxster. If i do make the jump, i don't think i'd be interested for any less than the 2020-21 S or GTS versions, to get into the 350 hp range to make up for the extra 600 lb weight. Would likely go manual despite the benefits of the twin clutch masterpiece porsche offers.

I'll try my best to document some of the pictures from the trip. trying to get into muir woods, redwood national, and yellowstone. if yellowstone tickets don't open, may reroute to tahoe or other.

Feel free to add comments in about your experiences with boxster vs spider, or test drives, etc...... View attachment 85459
Sounds GOOD....The Boxster (or the Cayman) have "earned" some great reviews over the years, Porsche build quality alone and the legendary flat 6....Have considered the Cayman 2009-2012 (UK) before with the 2010 on models being sort after (2.9 cc) so fun and reliability pretty well sorted. Have a Great Adventure and "Stay Safe" every time, Cheers
ron

Reactions: alltimesaresoon

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I think you meant Yosemite, LOL.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
That's a beautiful car. Bottom line, our Spiders are not Porches.

Reactions: SJWhiteley

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a beautiful car. Bottom line, our Spiders are not Porches.
while true, reading that article hints at why we do love our spiders beyond the price point. it was pretty underpowered until about 2018, and even after the flat six options have so high gearing that 2nd takes you to 85 mph. The T or S options may be more comparable and better for power to weight, and great torque low

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
446 Posts
Should be an epic drive. I love the Cayman/Boxster, I'd imagine it's more suited as a roadtrip GT than the 124.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
twice the luggage space as our spiders. tho i'm still already hearing it from the SO on what we can pack.... will two carryons fit? yes, 3 carryons will fit. are you sure?

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you can't make 8 days with warm weather clothes work in two carry-ons, you need help packing.

Reactions: alltimesaresoon

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’ve lucky to have owned both cars, though admittedly the Boxster was the 3.4S (13 model year). They are totally different cars, the Boxster was a delight, very quick, with pin sharp handling, bullet quick gearshift (PDK) though you have to be going ‘very quick’ indeed to get anywhere near it’s limits (or potential). The Abarth performance is much more ’available’ (imo), you reach it’s limit progressively and at much lower speeds, it’s therefore much more fun (at least in my eyes). If the decision on these cars is based on luggage capacity, we are all doomed…

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
287 Posts
A former member here sold his Abarth and picked up a cayman gt4 and loves it! I personally think the glory of the Porsche is in the NA engines. Something about the high rpm prowess that engine possess. The turbo is likely good but the NA is the way to go. That being said not everyone has the money for the gt4, and that’s the down side of it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there certainly seems to be two camps. porsche purists all rally for the flat 6 and the sound and the manual gearbox. a growing contingent more interested in daily driving on real roads appreciate the low end 1900 rpm torque and price point of the recent S 2.5L which still provides 350 hp, especially considering the power of the newer flat 6's isn't really available in street rpm range/gearing. i don't think i'd be interested in the GT4 or spyder if i had the money, but the GTS 4.0 at 394 hp tempts me quite a bit

·
Registered
2,706 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
790 Posts
Ron, I love Porsche as well. But the Lexus won't have Porsche maintenance and repair bills. My wife's Lexus LS is going on 90K miles and has never been in the shop for anything other than brakes and oil changes. Much like the Honda NSX has never been accepted for the super car it truely is. Probably because it doesn't require $6-10 in maintenance every 10K miles.

But since we are just dreaming about dropping 110 grand on a car, why let reality intrude on our dreams 😉

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
287 Posts
I don’t think the Lexus can hold a candle to the Porsche. One has racing pedigree and it shows the other is a comfortable cruiser. Both are exceptional machines but only one is a true performance machine! High maintenance costs mean nothing when you drop the price of a decent house on a car!

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I won't take away the liking of the Porsche, the comparison is not justified in power and price but one thing I have to state, those Porsche drivers or owners don't get complimented like we Abarth Owners. That is Priceless.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Win, win. Enjoy!

I look forward to hearing about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Driven both the 6-cyl boxster's and the 124 Abarth.

As far as I'm concerned, the fundamental driving dynamics at high speed are superior on the Porsche. Its more planted and doesn't push quite as much, however it being larger than the 124, it suffers at lower speeds. The 124 is more eager to rotate at the lower speed to really help edge the nose into the corners, also helped by the fact that its front engined.

Another thing of note is that the N/A Boxster's are much more responsive on throttle, which HUGELY helps when giving mid-corner throttle inputs.

The transmission on the 124 is much nicer though. The clutch uptake on the Boxster's has always been awkward imo and the tranny feels much more ropey.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts