Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums. I don't actually own a 124 yet! I am doing a local search for a pearl white Abarth with Recaro's and Brembo's. I wanted to get opinions on whether or not Brembo's are worth on it on this car. Does it any value in terms of stopping power or longevity? Or, is just a nice to have red calipers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Absolutely! Here in Aus we only get the full Abarth version, the Brembo brakes are magnificent......stops on a dime!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wanted Brembos and Recaros and found both on my car. I felt you can't spend too much on brakes (within reason), never wanted to think "I wish I had got those better brakes" & believe the resale value will at least recover some of that cost if I should sell it. The red calipers never entered my mind. Now that I have them I would never go without. Having never driven a car without Brembos I can't make a fair comparison.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have driven a 124 with and without Brembos. I think the Brembos have a better "feel" than stock although I have not gotten through my break-in period yet so I have not put the car through its paces to really tell how good they are. My past experience with other vehicles and Brembos are that the mechanics of the calipers are very good but stopping can be improved with a different pad composition like carbon/Kevlar. The c/k's are very dusty but work extremely well on the street.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have everything except Brembos on my Abarth. While I wish I had Brembos, the stock brakes still stop the car on a dime. Maybe I would feel differently on a track. The red calipers definitely would look cool. Drew

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I don't have Brembos and the car breaks very well. So I would put that money on other accessories.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From what I've read (so take that with a grain of salt).....

The advantage of the Brembo brakes over OEM brakes is how well the brakes resist "fade". Both sets of brakes will work well on the car and "should" give similar stopping distances. The difference is the amount of fade you will see under heavy braking conditions.

Folks that take their cars to the track need brakes that resist fade, so they can post their best times.

In day to day driving, unless your commute takes you down a mountain road with lots of switch backs, the OEM brakes should be fine. As one person put it, if you apply the brakes while flooring the car and the car doesn't move, you've got enough brakes! And I think it is required that brakes be more powerful than the engine (I'm really going off old knowledge on that one).

So, to sum up, if you are planning on taking your car to the track or having a fun time with lots of mountainous switch backs, outracing local law enforcement through suburban neighborhoods, or any other instance where brake fade is a real concern, then Brembos would be a better choice.

For all other applications, OEM brakes are sufficient.

For cosmetics (and colored calipers do look cool), that is up to you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nyle Maxwell in Austin, Tx has

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums. I don't actually own a 124 yet! I am doing a local search for a pearl white Abarth with Recaro's and Brembo's. I wanted to get opinions on whether or not Brembo's are worth on it on this car. Does it any value in terms of stopping power or longevity? Or, is just a nice to have red calipers.
11 Abarths in Stock. Go check them out. You can fly there and drive it back..I'm assuming you live in USA

http://www.fiatofaustin.com/search/new-fiat-124_spider/tp-mk67-md4400/p:3/

NotSure. Austin, Tx :eek::eek::eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts