Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi Azzura, thanks for the update. I have just had a questionnaire from FIAT via a 'consumer agency' and I have made reference to the poor durability of paintwork on my UK car - it will be interesting to see if there is any follow-up.
Danny

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Did you wash the car yourself at all?
I think I've only ever washed it once or twice. It's done less than 700 miles and has only ever been driven in the dry apart from one or two trips. I've only ever used a brand new wash mitt, used really light pressure and religiously rinsed it after each swipe, and it still seemed to pick up marks. This was just before the paint inspection in November, and was after the first machine polish when it was left "naked" (not even any wax). When I collected the car from the second machine polish and Williams F1 ceramic coat application it was raining, but most of the rain just blew off, and I parked it straight in the garage without washing it again.

I have just had a questionnaire from FIAT via a 'consumer agency' and I have made reference to the poor durability of paintwork on my UK car - it will be interesting to see if there is any follow-up.
Danny
I sent mine off just before the time limit and went to town with criticism of the dealer and Fiat, but haven't heard anything back at all. But then again I was still in "discussions" with the dealer and FCA UK, but it was disappointing not to receive any feedback, it made it seem a bit pointless and a waste of time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well today was the day that I gave my car back to the dealer, in exchange for the full purchase price plus their dealer preparation charge plus the Williams F1 coating. I had to take off my personalised registration, so I kept the actual number plates too, but that's all I have to show for it...

It's only done 710 miles, I'd barely even broken the engine in, never been above 4000rpm and rarely above 3000. I've only filled up with petrol once after picking up the car with a full tank, but I did give it back empty.

But I'm not in the same position as I was before I bought it: prices have increased, and there are several out of pocket costs and general compensation that I am seeking from FCA UK, but I'd better not hold my breath...

I have to decide whether to order another, reserve one already ordered, buy used (Fiat or Abarth, just missed out on a Portogallo Grey with visibility, SatNav and all red bits including seats for £27k), or just not bother at all with the 124, perhaps just get me a used Porsche 911 or Cayman, or a Maserati, or an older and more unusual classic, who knows?

Feeling a bit sad :(

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
The Machine Grey paint on our MX5 RF is amazing. Our Abarth's pretty good too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So, about time for an update I guess?

After much deliberation, I decided to take the 2017 Italia Blue Lusso Plus with Tobacco interior that was already on order at another dealer, and it came in sooner than I thought. I did check out several more cars at various dealers, and some are "pre-scratched" but others aren't. The metallic paint certainly masks any swirl marks and scratches much better than the non-metallic.

I was there at the dealer to witness it coming off the transporter (without any plastic film on the bonnet/boot) and collected the car the next day still with the plastic covers on the wheels, kick plates, plastic guards on the doors and various stickers still on the windscreen, and with just 4 miles on the clock.

My old Anniversary is still for sale, reduced to £21,000 but there are still 2 others for sale on Autotrader. There was a 17 plate one that must have been might not have been such a bad deal. If they sell for £21,000 they will have "lost" about the same amount of money that I have, but today I left a message with the MD of FCA UK in the hope that he will see the sense in offering me some additional compensation as a gesture of good will in response to a letter sent 2 weeks ago, but no point in holding my breath I guess...?

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Here are some pics of other cars on a forecourt, some with more "pre-scratching" than others...from L to R (Lusso Plus, Anniversary, Classica, Abarth) (2017 registered Anniversary, now sold) (boot lid of Blue Classica, been on site a month or two, some clear scratches) (boot lid of Lusso Plus, minimal scratching) (boot lid of Anniversay, scratches evident)

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Poor wash practice, have machine polished mine and have washed it a few times, no more a problem than the Honda I have to look after to be honest.
Yes it's a soft clear but with care you can avoid the worst of those. Managed to pick a red anniversary up with 900 miles on the clock for £20k, a lot of white Lusso plus now under £19k with a lot of dealers, doesn't seem to be a popular colour here for some reason Edit: was all set for a new Lusso plus with tabbaco interior but they wouldn't move off £23500 so when the anniversary came up, thought I'd take a chance on that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I accept all that has been said with regard to poor wash technique, but my problem appears to have been poor treatment of the car prior to delivery to the dealer. If you are lucky enough (with this soft/thin paint/lacquer) to have collected an un-marked car, then it is up to you to keep it that way.

I also accept that a machine polish should remove the marks and a ceramic coat should provide the protection required.

But the simple facts are that my Anniversary arrived "pre-scratched" and that two separate Fiat-approved bodyshops had "professional" valeters attempt to remove the marks, and they both failed.

I could have persevered, but decided to cut my losses (and I did lose out, which is what continues to irritate me).

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you wrapped the entire car in xpel ultimate icluding complete color correction and buffing it would have cost $2600 - $3000 us dollars. It would be self healing and clear as glass and be protected for years and years. I have a black car and did this to mine and couldnt be happier. Black is notoriously hard to keep looking sweet, its no sweat at all now. I think this would have made sense in your case because dont kid yourself, if you plan on driving this and not putting it under glass, its going to get rock chips and scratches over time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The main thing about spending that sort of money to wrap your car and keep it looking mint, come the time to sell or part exchange your not going to get $2600-$3000 more than the book price anyway, ok you may get a few hundred more.
Well not in the UK at least, yes it gives you peace of mind knowing your cars going to get less paint blemishes in the time you have it, but it's a large outlay on top of the price for the car to start with.
I found out over the years when you come to trade it in, the only one who makes on the vehicle you have lovingly cared for, polished and kept clean, is the dealer you part exchange it too when they come to sell it on from their forecourt.
I know this doesn't apply to private sales, where the better it is the quicker you wil probably sell it, but then again your not going to get that outlay back, no one will pay that much over book price for a car no matter how well the paint is.
Then again I haven't sold a car to someone else apart from the dealer I'm buying the new one from in years.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im glad I am not the only one to notice the insanely soft paint on these cars, mine is Nero Cinema black and every time I wash it I find more scratches, even with 2 coats of wax in the month I have owned it! I am always careful and only hand wash and wax and use fresh microfiber cloths but its just so soft!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts