Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to test drive the new 124 this weekend. I wasn't really worried about it beforehand so it was a shocker to realize that the seat is definitely to small for me. I need to move the seat all the way back to be able to drive it and then can't recline the lean at all, making for a pretty uncomfortable seating position. Quite sad as I was really looking forward to that car.

·
Vendor
3,086 Posts
That's too bad that you can't get comfy in it. I am also 6'2". Like you I also put the seat all the way back. I just accept that I won't be relining the seat. I'm not using the car for long distance travel anyway. To me it's not a GT car, it's a sports car I'll use on shorter drives.

Greg

·
Registered
669 Posts
How big are you OP?

I am 6'2, 200. Note seat will break in, you will sit lower in the car as the months go...and you will sit further back too as the seat breaks in, etc.

I am 6'2, 200. Note seat will break in, you will sit lower in the car as the months go...and you will sit further back too as the seat breaks in, etc.[/QUOTE]

SO had had a chance to sit in a 124 today. Not happy. At 6'1" I am to tall. 1 or 2 clicks forward from all the way back, good position with the top down. Top up, another story, my head hits. Recline what I can, scoot down, tilt my head and I clear. Not good. Must say I am a little surprised after owning a Spitfire, TR7 and a X1/9 without issues. Strange...people are growing in average height.

Brian (Goodwin racing) what are the chances of a lowering bracket for the seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what's next. I've been considering a very different car, the Subaru WRX. It's not a convertible and doesn't have the awesome MPG of the 124 but is big enough inside for me, is even more of a sporty ride, and probably a bit safer for my commutes. I'm open to other ideas though!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Maybe 1" or 2" makes a significant difference. I'm 6'0" and find the 124 Spider and ND Miata noticeably roomier than my 2004 NB Miata. In that car I had to put the seat 1 notch from all the way rearward so I could recline a bit.

I'm planning to get a manual but checked out the automatic as well. I found putting the seat all the way back meant stretching to reach the pedals. Plenty of recline available then.

Have you checked out the BRZ, jintoku?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Too Tall

Finally got to test drive the new 124 this weekend. I wasn't really worried about it beforehand so it was a shocker to realize that the seat is definitely to small for me. I need to move the seat all the way back to be able to drive it and then can't recline the lean at all, making for a pretty uncomfortable seating position. Quite sad as I was really looking forward to that car.
My husband is 6'4". To fit into my Spider, he moved the seat one notch forward, which allowed a small amount of recline to the seat. It's a very snug fit, but he said it worked. I doubt that he would enjoy being in it every day, though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So a bit of a bump.

I'm also 6'2 and while I'm ok with it I do have concerns albeit minor.

The rear view mirror gives me a blind spot. I found myself ducking a little when I turned to be able to see under the mirror.

Other concern is helmet room. Brian, can you fit in with a helmet on? I'm almost touching the roof as it is. Hardtop may rectify this issue.

Anyone doing a lower seat bracket? That may solve it too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
At 6' 2.5" I could fit top-up but had to take my hat off. Hat back on for top-down :)
Probably the main reason I waited to test drive the car was to see if I could fit before placing a deposit.
I think my 6' 4" son may have a problem though.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I'm not sure what's next. I've been considering a very different car, the Subaru WRX. It's not a convertible and doesn't have the awesome MPG of the 124 but is big enough inside for me, is even more of a sporty ride, and probably a bit safer for my commutes. I'm open to other ideas though!
86/BRZ will comfortably handle 6'2" or more and is significantly more like the 124 to drive than a WRX.

I'm 5'11" and 148lbs and even I find the 124 passenger side tight. No worries in the drivers seat though. Don't know if it's the same with LHD, but in RHD the passenger footwell seems shorter.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
When I picked up my 124, I thought the mirror was in the way too. Then I realized it can be pushed up such that the top of it meets the header, then readjusting the angle resulting in a minimal blindspot. That might help you in your first concern, but I am only 5' 10" ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd be interested in knowing if there are lower seat brackets. Even half an inch lower would be useful. I'm 5'11" but have short legs and a long torso. In the mornings my hair is touching the roof. By evening time, I seem to have shrunk an inch!! It's hard to find the perfect position because seat right back = lots of headroom but can't reach the pedals properly with my feet. Forward to the perfect position for feet means head touching roof! I'm hoping the seat will give a little over time but lower seat bracket would be great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is, its where they stash the subwoofer for the Bose system.
If the passenger footwell is shorter to stash the Bose subwoofer, does that mean that cars without the Bose system have more legroom on the passenger side?
Mine has the Bose system but I would have eagerly sacrificed that if that meant a little more legroom on the passenger site.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If the passenger footwell is shorter to stash the Bose subwoofer, does that mean that cars without the Bose system have more legroom on the passenger side?
Mine has the Bose system but I would have eagerly sacrificed that if that meant a little more legroom on the passenger site.
No, they installed a hard foam wedge in its place so the carpet and mats fit the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts