Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the problem. Living in snow country, I want to time my new car delivery right. I want to order a pretty standard 124 Spider Abarth. No fancy color, red or black, with manual tranny and the comfort/safety package. Brembo brakes look cool but are pretty pricey so I'll not opt for them (it's an Abarth...who needs brakes anyway http://www.124spider.org/forum/images/124Spider/smilies/tango_face_smile.png.) I'm looking at next summer for delivery. My question to you guys and gals is do you think I should order one next winter with delivery time being what it is, or take a chance that I might be able to locate one within a reasonable distance and wait until next spring?
Mike

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I live in buffalo and drove 300 miles for a manual , no option classica. Buffalo dealer had none. When they get ONE in , it's sold before it gets there. Waiting list. I imagine you will have to travel. My dealer said I could not order one. That's my beef with fiat, you can't get these cars here. But then again, my car will be a rare bird here��

·
Registered
97 Posts
manuals are hard to find....you can always order and tell your dealer when you want to take possession ....you will pay down payment anyways...he can store it for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in buffalo and drove 300 miles for a manual , no option classica. Buffalo dealer had none. When they get ONE in , it's sold before it gets there. Waiting list. I imagine you will have to travel. My dealer said I could not order one. That's my beef with fiat, you can't get these cars here. But then again, my car will be a rare bird here��

I'm willing to drive a fair distance for it also. I guess I'll just have to make up my mind. I'm heading to Tucson next week for a visit with family. I'll check out there, but don't think I want to drive it that far. At least I should be able to see a few.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Fly and drive.

Find a car you want in the country, find a flight to the nearest airport, perhaps rent a car when you get there, a one way rental (or taxi if the dealer is within a few miles - maybe arrange with the dealer to pick you up?) and drive the car home, stay at a hotel overnight. Registration can be a bit time consuming, but dealers can perform a temporary registration, for you to register it in your own state. They can also pass on the sales tax to your own state, too.

Yes, it's work, but....Road Trip!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I monitored the fiat website for inventory of the car I wanted in north east. Made the deal online sight unseen until picked it up on a nice day later in the week. Black will be easier to find than red in my experience. Obviously I was flexible on delivery to get the car I wanted. I didn't expect to buy in late February, but winter is a great time to buy a convertible even if I'm parking it away more than driving it for the time being.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Black FIAT manual abarth with brembos and recaro seats in Toledo Ohio. http://www.fiatusaoftoledo.com/exoti...0372b18812.htm
Cheap too! Fly and drive. I am sure the dealer will pick you up at the airport or where airport public transit can drop you. I did a fly and drive from Ohio to Northern Georgia when I bought a motorcycle. Bought the top case for the bike in Ohio and used it for luggage on the plane. Flew to Atlanta, took the transit to the furthest northern stop and the dealer picked me up and drove me to his place another 40 miles north. Mounted the top case on the bike and rode it home with my wife from there including a pass through the Tail of the Dragon. Made a great vacation out of it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My local dealer found me an abarth in Ct a 6 hr drive away. I got them to let me go pick it up for them and drive it back. I took a train to the town where it was, and drove it back. Dropped it at the dealer and finalized paperwork a couple days later. But I have a long history of knowing the people at the dealership. They would have sent someone to get it for me but I would have had to pay them for the service and I said to myself, self, why would you let someone else enjoy the first 350 miles on your new car.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Your dealer is an idiot AND a liar. Of course he can order one. But he chooses not to order a Classica because there is more $ to be made on a Lusso or Abarth. I haven't run across a dealer yet that said he wouldn't order one.There are many dealers in the Midwest and as far down as the Carolinas that were offering prices 1k-2.5k under MSRP. I've been looking the past few months to get an idea who I will order or buy from when I'm ready. And discarding the idiots who add a "market adjustment of $1k",like the dealer down here. The dealers I've spoken with will offer a temp tag to get you home. Some states require you to pay sales tax,which will be applied to sales tax in your state,when you register it there. Others don't and you simply pay the tax when you register it.
Glad you found what you wanted.
(I'm elderly. I've done 9 fly n drives counting bikes and cars,all used vehicles,the longest from Bellingham,Wa. to Orlando. It's a great experience IF you have the time)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your dealer is an idiot AND a liar. Of course he can order one. But he chooses not to order a Classica because there is more $ to be made on a Lusso or Abarth. I haven't run across a dealer yet that said he wouldn't order one.There are many dealers in the Midwest and as far down as the Carolinas that were offering prices 1k-2.5k under MSRP. I've been looking the past few months to get an idea who I will order or buy from when I'm ready. And discarding the idiots who add a "market adjustment of $1k",like the dealer down here. The dealers I've spoken with will offer a temp tag to get you home. Some states require you to pay sales tax,which will be applied to sales tax in your state,when you register it there. Others don't and you simply pay the tax when you register it.
Glad you found what you wanted.
(I'm elderly. I've done 9 fly n drives counting bikes and cars,all used vehicles,the longest from Bellingham,Wa. to Orlando. It's a great experience IF you have the time)
Buying out of state was one of the things I was worried about. The whole registration, tax etc. thing. Nice to see there is a work around.Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking at next spring, so I have time to look around. As a matter of fact, I had a flight to Tucson for a family visit scheduled for this evening, but it was cancelled because of the weather. Rescheduled for Thursday. I'm hoping to visit a dealer or 2 to have a look. Now that would be a road trip ++.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts