Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

Glad to find these boards! Just bought a beautiful, wonderful '17 Silver Abarth 124 Spider. I had a 1976 Spider in college and I loved it. I'm very happy with my purchase... Until...

No spare tire... Ok, that's cool. I can deal with that. My salesperson showed me the handy-dandy tire inflation kit. Plus, I have AAA, so it's really not a huge deal.

I'm poking around the trunk, get out the air compressor, and look at it closely. Looks to be good quality, but...

It's supposed to plug into a 12V cigarette lighter.

As far as I can tell, I HAVE NO 12V cigarette lighter.

Huh.

Does anyone know if a 12V socket is somewhere in my 124 Abarth and I just can't find it? I'd re-read the manuals, and see no mention of one... Why would they include a tire inflation kit that you can't power with the vehicle?

Seems like quite the oversight. I have never called a Car Company to complain but I might with with deal.

Unless there's a 12V socket right in front of my face that I can't see... Certainly possible.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!
-Eric

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well what do you know!!!

I went out there, and it was just where you said.

Thanks guys... You saved me a very embarrassing phone call. I'm very relieved.

-Eric

·
Registered
351 Posts
Now let's just hope you never have to use it!
I actually used mine the other day. The TPMS light came on while I was driving, so I pulled into a Hardee's to investigate. The right front was down to 27.5 psi, all the others were at 28. So I whipped out the little pump, topped them all off there in the parking lot, and went on my way. No further problems, so I'm grateful I hadn't hit a nail.

It worked very well and seems to have a pretty good pumping capacity despite being so small. The gauge reads about 2 psi too high, though. Get yourself a separate gauge.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I actually used mine the other day. The TPMS light came on while I was driving, so I pulled into a Hardee's to investigate. The right front was down to 27.5 psi, all the others were at 28. So I whipped out the little pump, topped them all off there in the parking lot, and went on my way. No further problems, so I'm grateful I hadn't hit a nail.

It worked very well and seems to have a pretty good pumping capacity despite being so small. The gauge reads about 2 psi too high, though. Get yourself a separate gauge.
It doesn't sound like they give us much of a margin, given that the recommended psi is 29. My last sports car had a 5 pound margin. Some drivers like a slight underinflation for certain driving applications or weather conditions.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It doesn't sound like they give us much of a margin, given that the recommended psi is 29. My last sports car had a 5 pound margin. Some drivers like a slight underinflation for certain driving applications or weather conditions.
You can reset the TPMS to whatever the current conditions are. It will then alert you to deviations from that. If you want to lower yours to 25, just do it and reset the TPMS.

Mine came with 50 psi in all the tires, and I drove for about 100 miles that way without any alerts. I reduced them to 29 and reset the TPMS. This was the first alert I've gotten from it.

Abarth uses a different system, though, so I can't comment on how it works.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Abarth uses a different system, though, so I can't comment on how it works.
Yes. As I now recall, we don't have a reset function. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Yes. As I now recall, we don't have a reset function. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
If its like most active TPMS systems there is a set pressure with above and below limits...there is no access to change these settings in the system....I kind of like the non-active system...did not have to buys wheel sensors with different wheels and can change the pressure I am running in the tires any time I like...sometimes the old way is not that bad...

·
Registered
205 Posts
There is a reset on the Classica and Lusso, not on the Abarth. Different measurement and different monitoring systems.

·
Registered
482 Posts
if this tpms is like the others I have dealt with, it reads a variance in the tire pressures. example: if your regular inflation is 35 psi, and one of the tires drop below 30 psi, it will trigger the light. that is how it worked on the tpms with wheel sensors (Abarth) in the past for me.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
TPMS is rubbish. It's "falsed" on my a number of times....on the RF too. I just reset it and ignore it now. I wish I could permanently disable it. It's a B Grade system that doesn't actually monitor the pressures but "deems" there is a pressure difference by monitoring individual wheel's behaviour through the ABS system. It's not very good.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The only time mine ever alerted was when I first bought the car and the system wasn't calibrated (and, of course, the tires were all over pressure). Since then, 13,000 miles later I've never had a false warning.

TPMS is rubbish. It's "falsed" on my a number of times....on the RF too. I just reset it and ignore it now. I wish I could permanently disable it. It's a B Grade system that doesn't actually monitor the pressures but "deems" there is a pressure difference by monitoring individual wheel's behaviour through the ABS system. It's not very good.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I don't know about the AUS Abarth Spider, but the US counterpart has active TPMS with sensors in the wheels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts