Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dipstick mods -

Moderators : “Who you calling a dipstick?!?!!?”

Mike34 : My bad! Not that kind of mod…or that kind of Dipstick!

Alright so as some of us have mentioned we really DON’T care for the “pinkish purple” Oil dipstick that came with our 124’s. So I have a few options that are available to us…One is inexpensive and not very time consuming and the other…Expensive and time consuming. After all its just a DIP-stick!

Inexpensive Dipstick Modification

1- Can of Plasti-Dip Your choice of color is totally up to you. I choose RED. (Surprise..lol) ( apparently there are quite a few different colors available per their website -
https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/ ) Not all are available in a Dipping type can or Hawaii.

1- Dipstick from your 124 Spider.

Take the dipstick out of the engine bay…wipe her down and run some rubbing alcohol over that pretty-in-pink handle to clean her up. Once all clean and dry. Open your can of Plasti-Dip and SLOWLY dip the handle up to the edge of the handle. The instruction with the Plasti-Dip say something like 1 inch dip rate per 5 seconds and removal rate the same. I found this to be pretty accurate.

In the pictures I’ve attached. One is dipped TWICE (left) and the other ONCE. I found that in dipping there was a tendency for the Plasti-Dip to form a bubble on the edge towards the base of the Dipstick (as far as I was dipping to the edge) and NOT cover a spot. I was able to use a toothpick and place some of the Plasti-Dip to fill the hole. It blended in well. This is why you need to go slow for proper coverage. I then took a spring clamp or a clothes pin and held it in the dipped postion upside-down to dry. For about an hour. No rush. Have a beer or two.

Now you are asking WHY do I have two Dipsticks…Great question. That was bought for the second option The Expensive Modification to the Dipstick. Which I will cover in another write up. Aloha Mike

Instructions from Plasti-Dip’s web site below.

HOW TO DIP
Dipping*(14.5 and 22 oz. cans)
Surface must be clean and dry. For best results, avoid direct sunlight, high humidity or breezy conditions.
Stir gently and thoroughly before each use.
Attach wire or string to hang item.
Insert item 1” every 5 seconds; withdraw at same rate.
Recommended 2-3 coats for best results.
Allow 30 minutes minimum dry time before use.

Brushing*(14.5 and 22 oz. cans)
Surface must be clean and dry. For best results, avoid direct sunlight, high humidity or breezy conditions.
Stir gently and thoroughly before each use.
Dilute as needed (10-20%) with naphta.
Apply heavy coats; avoid brushing back and forth.
Allow 30 minutes minimum between coats. Apply as many coats as desired.

Dipping/Brushing Tips:
If thinning is desired, product thickens, or for cleanup, use naptha, xylene (xylol), or toluene (toluol) solvents. Allow 4 hours per coat for complete dry. Keep container tightly closed when not in use. When applied properly Plasti Dip can be removed from most surfaces, if desired.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hey @Mike34 Good job on your write up. Suspenseful with the upcoming sequel, $$The Expensive Modification to the DipStick$$. I know what it is and I’m all in.

Dan

·
Registered
383 Posts
Has anyone compared the 500 Abarth dipstick and oil cap to the 124's? The 500 Abarth has a yellow dipstick and a black oil cap. When my S.O. gets home, I'll try comparing the two dipsticks and oil caps to see if they interchange (she drives a 500 Sport Turbo)

Rob

UPDATE: I checked, and guess what? The 500 Turbo's dipstick is red, not yellow! And guess what else? They will not interchange :(
The distance from the full mark to the dipstick o-ring is different (500's is shorter) and the handle portion that sticks out of the tube on the 500 is considerably longer than the 124's.

Reactions: depotdan and Mike34

·
Premium Member
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the other red dipstick @CDPond

Aloha mike

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
153 Posts
Inspired by this thread, I went the inexpensive route. But instead of Plasti dip, I used yellow caliper paint on the top portion of the dipstick I had from another project which I think goes well with the oil cap and coils.

906AB4A8-19B6-45B3-9B95-5352B778A661.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts