Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read on this forum some are laying their car up for winter. Seems appropriate to share information I recently received from the senior workshop technician, at a large, well stocked, professional appearing, FCA dealership.

I'd called into my supplying dealer for warranty work on a loose inner roof lining. Whilst there I got into conversation with the technician. There was an instant affinity between us. In no small part because were both bikers. We had a long and varied discussion on a number of topics.

During our discussion he randomly advised me, starting problems may be experienced with a 1.4 multiple air engine, which has been left to stand for some time. Often, the problem arises when an excess of oil has drained to the bottom of the engine. He said, spinning the engine over on the starter, it's as if theres no compression. Adding that it seems as if the cam belt may be broken.

Removing the engine oil filler cap he had me look inside the engine, to identify a black dot. Sure enough there it was. About 5mm in dia, if my memory serves me well. It's an oil way. Press it and it will retract. Feels as if it's spring loaded, but I don't know this for certain.

To start the engine. Have one person holding the valve open whilst another spins the engine on the starter. When sufficient oil has been removed from it's base the engine should start.

Had no reason to try this myself. Also, have no reason to question the validity of this information. Seems to me it's worth being aware of.

Best wishes to all.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Since I am winterizing my SCATOLETTA for 4 1/2 months. So If I capish right, it's good to start the engine once in a while so the above doesn't happen.

I haven't had my latte yet. <BG>

·
Registered
676 Posts
Having my latte now! Then I guess I will go start my modern classic...mmm...maybe not that modern and showings it’s Italian DNA. I did want a hobby car. Lol

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Vendor
3,656 Posts
I would like to see an actual reference for this in the manual. I don't think issue is a real problem at all, I never heard about anyone's car not starting after winter storage, and this engine have been out in the US since 2012, and plenty of people store their Abarths in the winter.

That's not to say that this tip might not be useful at some point, it is interesting, which is why I want to look into it.

Greg

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I it's like the old vintage cars One manually cranking the front and the other turning the switch. LOL

·
Registered
660 Posts
My 2012 500 with 60K+ miles on it was parked for the summer because I happened to have a much better summer car to drive. When I started the 500 in early November, it spun over fast with no compression. I had to try it quite a few times to get it to start.

I knew about this issue beforehand, so I wasn't concerned. Apparently the oil drains out of the intake valve actuators. Maybe it's more likely to happen in cars that have some miles on them.

Reactions: Seagas and Roadscum

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would like to see an actual reference for this in the manual. I don't think issue is a real problem at all, I never heard about anyone's car not starting after winter storage, and this engine have been out in the US since 2012, and plenty of people store their Abarths in the winter.

That's not to say that this tip might not be useful at some point, it is interesting, which is why I want to look into it.

Greg
Greg,

when you get an opportunity talk to Adriano @ MacCarrolls (your EC Agent in Australia) as he has first hand knowledge of this issue - apparently has occurred a few times. I know of one such incident here in Oz and myself who had a mis-fire on delivery attributed to insufficient oil in the MultiAir actuator

To those storing their cars - give the engine a spin occasionally

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I hate the idea of periodically starting a mothballed internal combustion engine, especially in cold (cont. sub-freezing to sub-zero) weather conditions. The oil, which was replaced and circulated at shut down, is thick and pumping slowly. The relatively oil-starved engine components will be wearing on each other (I'd rather only do this once at spring start-up). Hot gasses are moving over cold surfaces, and temperature differences equate to condensation formation, possibly inside the oil sump and for certain inside the exhaust system (all drivers prove this one daily here in MN), and it's a nasty, acidic condensation at that.

So, how long then, how many seconds should I run the engine before shutting it down to get the oil pressure/volume back up into intake valve actuators and avoid the other problems I mentioned? And how often should I do this? (Makes me wonder why I bought a car with such a finicky engine.)

My car has been shut down since early November, probably 5 weeks at this point, and likely would not otherwise be awoken until early April.

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

So occasionally, is that once a month and for how long 1 minute, 30 seconds. TIA
Mine has been stored since DEC 01

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate the idea of periodically starting a mothballed internal combustion engine, especially in cold (cont. sub-freezing to sub-zero) weather conditions.

Assuming the information I was given by the senior FCA technician was correct, as set out in the thread starter, there is no need to periodically start a moth balled car if you don't want to. Being aware of the fix, should resolve a non-starter.

·
Registered
638 Posts

So occasionally, is that once a month and for how long 1 minute, 30 seconds. TIA
Mine has been stored since DEC 01
Well my car is stored in a heated warehouse located at least 70-80km from where I live. Even if it was closer I would have no more access to it since they parked all the cars like sardines in tin cans...

It's a good thing to know this procedure but have a good photo of the device I have to push (or pull) while starting would be nice.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Removing the engine oil filler cap he had me look inside the engine, to identify a black dot. Sure enough there it was. About 5mm in dia, if my memory serves me well. It's an oil way. Press it and it will retract. Feels as if it's spring loaded, but I don't know this for certain.

To start the engine. Have one person holding the valve open whilst another spins the engine on the starter. When sufficient oil has been removed from it's base the engine should start.

Had no reason to try this myself. Also, have no reason to question the validity of this information. Seems to me it's worth being aware of.

Best wishes to all.
I happen to remember this and took a picture...but i didn't press anything.

Attachments

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Registered
150 Posts
OK, confused. so pressing it to make it retract is the open position? or do I need to pull it to open it?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Well my car is stored in a heated warehouse located at least 70-80km from where I live. Even if it was closer I would have no more access to it since they parked all the cars like sardines in tin cans...

It's a good thing to know this procedure but have a good photo of the device I have to push (or pull) while starting would be nice.
Wolf18 they sell a Satelite remote control, where you could start your car and shut it off. Make sure it's in neutral and parking break on.>:)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Reading this thread is very similar to watching a snow blower commercial here in NC. Of course we do NOT have those commercials. Where we live it snows every two or three years, 2-3" and we shut down completely until it melts in a couple of days. I cannot imagine storing the car somewhere for 5-6 months. You do know Real Estate is fairly reasonable down here, and I would have more Spiders to play with>:)

Reactions: Jaybo and Mike34

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have states several times in the winter storage section that I have heard this from US dealerships in reference to the Darts with this motor, who have sat on the lot for months without being started. I had not heard the remove oil filler cap part, only that you need hook up a battery charger and to keep cranking, with breaks to allow the starter to not overheat, until you get the air bled and then the car fires up. Good to know that maybe you can get it started faster.

·
Registered
660 Posts
...You do know Real Estate is fairly reasonable down here, and I would have more Spiders to play with>:)
Are you sure you would want a bunch of Yankee Democrats moving to NC? Not that I have a problem with yankee democrats... I am one!

Reactions: NYProf

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
If you're feeling retro, the person under the hood should shout "contact" as they open the valve.
Best Regards
Pete

1 - 20 of 26 Posts