Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this issue? My wife and I were out today for a drive and I noticed the clock and factory nav were off. When I checked the GPS info, it reported four red bars for four GPS satellites in the display, but indicated 0 GPS satellites available. I've done a reset to factory settings, rebooted the system a couple of times, and still no luck. Both the clock and the factory nav are off because apparently, for whatever reason, the system isn't connecting to the satellites even though the display shows a decent signal for four satellites. I'm stumped, and since my software is modded, I'm concerned that if I bring it back to the dealer, they'll say it was because I modded the system. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Dan...I haven’t had the CMU out myself. I had my local Mazda dealer do the CarPlay h/w install. It had been working after that and I’m not exactly certain when the GPS lost connection. Which connector is the one to the GPS antenna? If this doesn’t resolve, and I know which connector on the CMU to point to, I can ask the dealer techs to check just that for me. That way, if they mess anything additional up, it’s on them to fix it. If the connector is secure and it still doesn’t resolve, then I guess the next option is to replace the CMU...with all that entails regarding hacking v59 :( unless there’s anything else I can have checked out first? Plus, absolutely everything else is working perfectly in the CMU. So far I’ve reset to factory, soft rebooted, hard rebooted, and checked the file integrity on the SD card through Fiat toolbox. The card checks out fine but nothing seems to have done anything to help so far. Graeme suggested that maybe the govt. is messing with GPS in my area, which is a reasonable thought however, GPS is working on my phones and in my other car. Is it possible that I somehow blocked the signal when I installed my CLD tiles? I followed the guides in the video when I did that. I’m trying to eliminate variables here. Thanks!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I haven't seen a removed CMU, but in my instructions for Step 5:
Any cable not on this diagram should be replaced in the plug it was originally removed from. One of those discreet connections is the GPS antenna cable, that has caught many by surprise by not getting plugged back in in securely, and not realized until everything is buttoned up and they’re on a test drive, wondering why the Navigation isn’t working.
The fact that GPS worked for awhile means the cable was probably attached, but not necessarily locked in (audible click).

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 124 Abarth. I bought it used back in November. I currently have 5400 miles on the odometer, and there are no modifications to the vehicle. The sat nav system has been poor to average with respect to giving me an accurate location as well as navigation to my destination since I bought it. In the past week, I encountered the same problem with the clock no longer matching reality while I was driving using the navigation system. At that point, it was clear that the nav system was not connecting to satellites. This problem has continued which led me here. When I'm driving the car now, the display will show four or five satellites with a decent signal but all are red and the display states that there are zero available satellites. I've been looking all over the internet to try and find a solution with no luck. It seems from your post that I'm not the only one with this identical problem. I suppose I'll call the dealer and see if I can get it serviced under warranty. Anyone else have thoughts on this topic?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE August 3: So I had the car in to the dealer yesterday...here's the outcome: @ameridan was absolutely correct, the GPS antenna connection was not secure in back of the CMU. The funny part of this is that the service tech claimed, after he got the antenna traced and reconnected that it still wasn't working and assumed that there was an internal fault in the antenna itself. What he forgot when testing, was that the car was INSIDE their service area so, of course, it wasn't going to see any GPS satellites. When I picked up the car, it was sitting outside and I checked the GPS Info just for giggles. Well it showed 9 satellites available, accuracy high. So there was nothing wrong with the antenna other than it wasn't securely connected to the CMU.

Second warranty issue: The seat cover is worn in the same spot that others have reported. Service mgr. tried to claim normal wear and tear. I said, not after only 14.5k miles. So they took pictures of the seat and are submitting it to FCA for a determination. If I was a betting man, I'd say I get a NO from FCA on warranty replacement. Then I can fight directly with FCA.

Third warranty issue: top rubbing against roll hoops. They claim they've never heard of the kit to try to avoid the issue, and that there was nothing they could do about it. If someone has a part nbr. or a link to a service bulletin on this if one exists, I'd appreciate it so I can show it to the dealer.

After this dealer service experience I'm beginning to come around to Zepherius Collins's point of view. I'm not overly impressed with Fiat of Austin's approach to warranty repairs. Also, at some point when they had the car, someone drove it hard enough to really heat up the brakes...not impressed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same issue; I guess I didn't snap the GPS antenna in hard enough when doing my CarPlay install. It worked fine, but after I had some unrelated service work done, it no longer found satellites. I just have to decide if it's worth all that disassembly to fix it, since the GPS works fine through Waze on the phone. Mostly a concern for resale...

Let us know if you find anything out on the seat and the roll hoops issues. I have the same things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 124 Abarth. I bought it used back in November. I currently have 5400 miles on the odometer, and there are no modifications to the vehicle. The sat nav system has been poor to average with respect to giving me an accurate location as well as navigation to my destination since I bought it. In the past week, I encountered the same problem with the clock no longer matching reality while I was driving using the navigation system. At that point, it was clear that the nav system was not connecting to satellites. This problem has continued which led me here. When I'm driving the car now, the display will show four or five satellites with a decent signal but all are red and the display states that there are zero available satellites. I've been looking all over the internet to try and find a solution with no luck. It seems from your post that I'm not the only one with this identical problem. I suppose I'll call the dealer and see if I can get it serviced under warranty. Anyone else have thoughts on this topic?
Update...September 6th, just picked up the car from the dealer today. This was a very long process that took about 4 weeks to resolve, but I’m happy with the result. The first step was the dealer swapped out the old SD card for an official Fiat card, and sent me home. This made no difference in GPS performance. I returned the car a few days later and after several days of investigating, they replaced the GPS receiver/antenna. The technician took the car home for the weekend and found that the car was no better. Then they ordered a new radio/touchscreen console. After several days, the box arrived with a shattered screen. The dealer ordered a replacement radio which arrived a few days ago. After the install, my GPS pulls in between 8 and 9 full green bars with high accuracy. Jeff D’Ambrosio Fiat/Alpha did an awesome job and really saw this through without a penny charged to me. If you find yourself in a jam, try to work with your local dealer and have the system replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts