Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was talking about his jag and mentioned needing to clean out his injectors due to the way the pops and bangs were causing issues with smoke out of the exhausts.

Got me thinking for those who have pops and bangs or burbles/gurgles tunes, should we also consider fuel additives to clean out the injectors?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,647 Posts
I wouldn't think it's the injectors but a carbon buildup in the cylinders or exhaust valves and manifold from the P&B fuel overruns and incomplete burns. Running some cleaner would be good to clear that out for sure but not an issue with the injectors themselves.

Reactions: JATH

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Every oil change I pour in a bottle of Amsoil P.I. I have inspected cylinders before and after and it really does work.

Reactions: sharkcohen and JATH

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I used SEAFOAM to clean the carb, jets and valves, worked perfect. The year I'll put a bottle into the tank. I have 19k km. Better then EXLAX. :eek:o_O

·
Registered
953 Posts
Second that!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I used SEAFOAM to clean the carb, jets and valves, worked perfect. The year I'll put a bottle into the tank. I have 19k km. Better then EXLAX. :eek:o_O
Well been down to the sea off Cornwall this morning Frank with an old coffee jar, couldn't see any foam (water too clear so drove over to Plymouth Navy base area, lots of foam off the sea there filled my coffee jar, screwing the lid down tight and drove home thinking, "Well I trust Frank, good guy, he wouldn't be the sort to tell fibs..would he? Anyway, put the Spider away for now and jar on the shelf in the garage, I;ll add to all three cars later and if it works as well as you say it does Frank then I'll collect up lots of jars, label them and sell them on ebay as "Frank's Magic Injection system cleaner. Who knows, I may even clean up 😁 Cheers
ron

Reactions: JATH and achinitrz

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Brexit- RON, you forgot the SHAVING FOAM, helps to keep your face clean when shaving. LOL
I am surprised being a Marine Island they don't have this in Britain, Pity.:eek:
Also if heated enough it will Explode 💣 💣 which falls under the norms of the BONNET.😁
Here in North America or the other side of the POND, motorcyclists use this, to clean carb, inside the cylinders and it's a gas stabilier(read the label).

Reactions: achinitrz

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Brexit- RON, you forgot the SHAVING FOAM, helps to keep your face clean when shaving. LOL
I am surprised being a Marine Island they don't have this in Britain, Pity.:eek:
Also if heated enough it will Explode 💣 💣 which falls under the norms of the BONNET.😁
Here in North America or the other side of the POND, motorcyclists use this, to clean carb, inside the cylinders and it's a gas stabilier(read the label).

View attachment 77475
Can't speak right now Frank....I have three sick cars here, bonnets, whoops Hoods up, "N" disconnected, plugs out and the strangest smell of seaweed upsetting the neighbours, I will catch up with you once I have identified the problem so can get back down to the seafront and fill some more bottles with Franks Special Seafoam for sale....so excited..Thank you Pal !

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Can't speak right now Frank....I have three sick cars here, bonnets, whoops Hoods up, "N" disconnected, plugs out and the strangest smell of seaweed upsetting the neighbours, I will catch up with you once I have identified the problem so can get back down to the seafront and fill some more bottles with Franks Special Seafoam for sale....so excited..Thank you Pal !
Okay...back now Frank....Ended up checking out a theory, fuel lighter than H2o so drained off via water trap, all good, now what were you..............Oh Sh*t !
They already market it !

Reactions: frankmar

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
A friend was talking about his jag and mentioned needing to clean out his injectors due to the way the pops and bangs were causing issues with smoke out of the exhausts.

Got me thinking for those who have pops and bangs or burbles/gurgles tunes, should we also consider fuel additives to clean out the injectors?
Hi Jath Mate......Now Then....Just been enjoying some banter with Frank and you may have noticed, but now I have to don my serious hat, so here goes...........I googled the Seafoam and amongst the answers came up a youtube video by someone called savagescotty "who says"....Seafoam have been around since the 1940's, used in TWO STROKE engines NOT For 4 stroke and it does NOT contain NITROGEN which is the base of these additives, I note for Diesel on can above, maybe Frank just showed the wrong can there, no doubt he will clear that up (no pun). This guy Scotty says that "Techron" or "Chevron produce the correct stuff.....
Myself I use NO additive in the Spider, it doesn't require it "IF" you use PREMIUM fuel ONLY, however...for my VW T-Roc and Honda Jazz using unleaded ALWAYS add some when I fill up. I use ONLY Shell fuel anyway but the additive I have used since buying my first 1966 MGB GT in 1970 is REDEX. Having owned many Sports cars over the years I can report that SHELL or BP, REDEX and MOBIl 1 (since 1980s) have been a regular constant and failures NEVER so as they say "Never Change a Winning Team". I know you are down under so it could be difficult not spilling some whilst adding it but REDEX, if it's sold there, try it maybe. I have attached a photo of which I am proud as it includes my first ever TIN of Redex, yep, I kept it ! Cheers
ron

IMG_0001.JPG

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Ron, if you read the label or the print on that Seafoam can, it says 2,4 and diesel, Your guy Scotty needs to change his spectacles cause he can't read shit. LOL
at least he did admit that he doesn't like SeaFoam.
I think he's more of a bla bla than hands on, compared to other reviews. I am pretty sure there are some efficient jet cleaners out there. The one I used on the motercycle was spray to clean the carb and the one I posted here in winter to winterize the bike, In the Motorcycle world, Seafoam is top notch known.
One think most of them did not recomend to add it into your engine oil to clean your motor. Some did it but half of the amount recomended.
Sometimes labels is to get you buying, what counts is what people have experience.

Scotty beam me up, I think this guys is still living in the 40s. LOL

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
621 Posts
I use this once a month:

I use it because about half the time, I use a brand of gasoline that isn't listed as Top Tier. I think that if you use a Top Tier fuel most of the time, you probably don't need additional additives

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Well, I think the above pretty well tells the story lads....They all have better qualities than no additive, this Scotty bloke is an "independent" thinker and for those not paying attention.....if you use "PREMIUM" fuel you do not need any additive.
Hands up those who learnt something new last couple of days.....Nobody ? well I did....Never, and I mean Never, Ever go down to the dockyard area with an old coffee jar collecting Seafoam........Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Ron, you need to catch the good foam and that you have to go where the water splashes the rocks(qiet dangerous) but you get Premium foam. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Ron, you need to catch the good foam and that you have to go where the water splashes the rocks(qiet dangerous) but you get Premium foam. LOL
Not trying to get rid of me by any chance are you Frank...?

Reactions: Jesus Santa

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Not trying to get rid of me by any chance are you Frank...?
Jesus.....Jesus Santa also thinks it's a good idea, don't understand it as I am a quiet unassuming chap who only chips in very rarely......

·
Registered
242 Posts
Jesus.....Jesus Santa also thinks it's a good idea, don't understand it as I am a quiet unassuming chap who only chips in very rarely......
I think is a good idea you reinvent seafoam. Not go where the water splashes as you could go to a beach shore. But I find funny the comments about the topic. Both of you made my day a better one. Hope both of you are having a great day.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Jesus, At least I am making someone's day a little better, Here cloudy, humid, little rain but no Foam. Now the character across the Pond, not to mention his name, LOL, It never crossed my mind to get rid of him, if so I would have told him to drink it with some lemon and ice. I think I'll have some SEAMONADE, see how it tastes. :eek:o_O😁💣

1 - 20 of 27 Posts