Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got them from Redlines, installed them today. You can see the difference in thickness vs the OEM ones. The leather from Redline is more souple and, while no expert, seem much better quality too!

Attachments

Registered
I installed mine over the weekend. I used the Black Alcantara (To match the Recaro seats) with the baseball stitching (to match the handle and shifter knob). Matches well.

But as you have shown and described, the OEM and Alcantara is just too thin. If I did it again. (And I still may) the Leather is the way to go. Yours looks great.

Does your brake handle boot slide up when you put the lever down? Mine did and I discovered the stitching came loose at the top of the boot. The boot won't stay in place when down. Half of the handle is covered. Ended up using a back zip tie to hold it in place...Less than ideal.

I noticed the black collar under the shifter knob. You didn't put it under the leather? or are my eyes bad?

Again yours looks great.

Aloha

Reactions: sdlynx and wolf18t

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Does your brake handle boot slide up when you put the lever down? Mine did and I discovered the stitching came loose at the top of the boot. The boot won't stay in place when down. Half of the handle is covered. Ended up using a back zip tie to hold it in place...Less than ideal.
I glued the collar using 5 minutes 2 parts epoxy glue. For now it seems to hold well.

I noticed the black collar under the shifter knob. You didn't put it under the leather? or are my eyes bad?
Doh!:eek: Just noticed I glued it from inside... I think I'll left it as is! :rolleyes:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What collar???? :laugh:

After a few center console clip / unclip operations I think I'm the expert now! :D

Attachments

Reactions: Mike34 and sdlynx

Registered
What collar????

After a few center console clip / unclip operations I think I'm the expert now!
Right!! That's what I'm talking about. Sweet!!

Reactions: sdlynx and wolf18t

Registered
Here's mine, also from Redline Goods. I went with double stripes. As much as I like them, I will admit that the extra leather and stitching made them a little stiff. Installation was a little harder. I installed the armrest cover without any additional padding.

Attachments

Registered
Looks great guys! Thanks for supporting Redline Goods! They are great people and do fantastic work!.
I bought the same "Italian Stripe" seat belt pads that you have... I thought it would be nice to add a little more Italian flair to the car.

Reactions: sdlynx

Registered
Got them from Redlines, installed them today. You can see the difference in thickness vs the OEM ones. The leather from Redline is more souple and, while no expert, seem much better quality too!
That's the difference between "Bonded Leather" and "Genuine Leather".

Pretty stark in person. Gotta love the real thing!:)

Registered
That's the difference between "Bonded Leather" and "Genuine Leather".

Pretty stark in person. Gotta love the real thing!:)
Bonded leather is a thin veneer of leather bonded to another surface like cloth. Genuine Leather is all leather hide. We had a couch done in bonded leather, it lasted two years before it started to peel, delaminate, from cloth. We have the same couch with genuine leather in another home that is going on 8 years with no show of wear. You pays your money and you make your choice.

Registered
Exactly my point. The cars come with Bonded leather. Redline's leather is genuine leather (unless you chose something else).

Registered
Exactly my point. The cars come with Bonded leather. Redline's leather is genuine leather (unless you chose something else).
That was bonded leather? I thought it was vinyl! The stuff was pretty cheesy. Cheap looking.

Reactions: sdlynx

Registered
That was bonded leather? I thought it was vinyl! The stuff was pretty cheesy. Cheap looking.
Bonded leather is barely still leather. It is a marketing ploy. Really cheap stuff. They take a hide (low grade) and roll and stretch it to be VERY thin then they add backing material. There are many faux leathers that are better.

The Redline leather is full grain. Very nice. Mine looks and feels great.

Reactions: sdlynx and Seagas

Registered
Hi Guys, Does anyone have a link to
Redline's products.
Thanks

Registered
I like the pebble finish of the leather on your boots. Nice contrast. I used the smooth black leather boots with red stitching from Madness. Easy installation. I don't understand why Fiat would install real leather on the steering wheel, shift knob, e-brake handle and seats all with red stitching and then use vinyl with black stitching on the boots.

Attachments

Registered
I like the pebble finish of the leather on your boots. Nice contrast. I used the smooth black leather boots with red stitching from Madness. Easy installation. I don't understand why Fiat would install real leather on the steering wheel, shift knob, e-brake handle and seats all with red stitching and then use vinyl with black stitching on the boots.
Nice gear knob (stop ya snickering !!) - where did you get it ??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts