Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I dropped a bunch of hints including sending her the link for where to order them, my lovely wife got me these for my birthday.
These are the Paco Moto seat lowering rails. They are from here: ND Miata Seat Lowering Brackets | Paco Motorsports and were $179 for both seats.
These are designed to set and forget. If you like to move your seat back and forth then you should look elsewhere as you have to loosen a bolt to move the seat.
Me, once I get the seat where I want, I don't move it.

Installation was pretty straight forward. Four star head torx bolts and one electrical connector per seat to remove.
Here is what the factory rails look like

Four 14mm bolts and two 10mm bolts later and they look like this:

Here is another view of the rails installed. You reuse the 14mm bolts and toss the 10mm bolts.

And here is the first seat, drivers side, installed to show you how much of a drop you get.
I'm 6 foot 1 and I had about 3/4 an inch of headroom with the top up. I often felt my hair touch the roof.
Now I have over 2 inches of headroom. This is officially my favorite mod so far.

FYI, I finished both seats, just ran out of daylight for pictures. The job took about 2 1/2 hours, but that was taking it slow as I was figuring it out as I went.
Hardest part was getting the rear seat rail bolts tightened down. Had to use a swivel socket and a short handled wrench to get to them.
Now that I know the tricks I could probably do it in just over an hour if I had to do it again.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,456 Posts
Good job! I just put mine in for the driver's seat today also. I used a ratcheting box wrench to tighten the back rail bolts and the ones on the inside rail for belt bolt and inner front. A 1/4" drive 14mm on the front outer and I didn't bother with the outer rear. Love the way it sits for my 6'2" long torso frame.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What do you mean by loosen a bolt (singular)? As pointed out there are struggles to get rear bolt in, but how easy is it to adjust if necessary?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What do you mean by loosen a bolt (singular)? As pointed out there are struggles to get rear bolt in, but how easy is it to adjust if necessary?
These rails have no mechanism to adjust the seat position by lifting a lever like the factory seats. The seat is held in place by four bolts that fit into a slot on the rails. Three are snug, but loose enough to allow the seat to slide forward or backward. One is tightened down to hold the seat in place. If you want to adjust the seat position you must loosen the bolt (or bolts if you tighten more than one) adjust the seat, then re-tighten.

You can see the bolts in the picture below as well as the slot that allows forward and backwards adjustment.

The bolts being referred to as 'difficult' are the bolts at the back of the seat that attach it to the floor. Nothing to do with the seat adjustment.
The rear seat attachment bolts are a tight fit but can be accessed with a bit of patience and the right tools.
You will need a ratchet wrench, an extension and a swivel socket adapter to get to the bolt because it winds up under the rear edge of the seat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good job! I just put mine in for the driver's seat today also. I used a ratcheting box wrench to tighten the back rail bolts and the ones on the inside rail for belt bolt and inner front. A 1/4" drive 14mm on the front outer and I didn't bother with the outer rear. Love the way it sits for my 6'2" long torso frame.
Thank you! I used a ratcheting box wrench to tighten the adjustment bolts as well. Made the job much easier!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Bandit, you might have mentioned this before but where you get the Abarth logo on glove box? I like it!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
These rails have no mechanism to adjust the seat position by lifting a lever like the factory seats. The seat is held in place by four bolts that fit into a slot on the rails. Three are snug, but loose enough to allow the seat to slide forward or backward. One is tightened down to hold the seat in place. If you want to adjust the seat position you must loosen the bolt (or bolts if you tighten more than one) adjust the seat, then re-tighten.

You can see the bolts in the picture below as well as the slot that allows forward and backwards adjustment.
View attachment 75369

The bolts being referred to as 'difficult' are the bolts at the back of the seat that attach it to the floor. Nothing to do with the seat adjustment.
The rear seat attachment bolts are a tight fit but can be accessed with a bit of patience and the right tools.
You will need a ratchet wrench, an extension and a swivel socket adapter to get to the bolt because it winds up under the rear edge of the seat.
Thanks for that. It looks like no big deal, then, to adjust. I'm thinking I might get me a set...

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
I have the same problem 6' tall and I have not more than an inch to the top. This would could certainly be an issue if the car ever rolls over as your head would hit the pavement.

Can you provide some feedback as to how it feels sitting in the car with the seat lower? Driving position, comfort, etc? I'm strongly considering ordering these as well, since I ordered the Blackbird roll bar to add some roll-over safety.

Shaving 13lbs will help offset about half the weight gain from installing the roll bar, so that's a definite plus!

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Regardless, I ordered the mounts for both seats. I will report back on my own impressions as well. I never really felt comfortable having my head so close to the top. I'm sure this will resolve that issue.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for that. It looks like no big deal, then, to adjust. I'm thinking I might get me a set...
You won't adjust them very often if ever, and it does take some work to adjust. I have not moved mine once since I set the driving position. Part of the way it gets you more space is the back of the seat drops lower than the front which gives an inclined angle. My Recaros feel more like a bucket seat now.

As for comfort, it is exactly the same as without the rails. Just you can see better out of the windshield. And you get the top of your head out of the turbulence every tall person feels whipping their hair around. That makes the car much easier to drive for long distances with the top down and at speed. It is subtle but noticeable.

I made the drive from Oakland to LA almost completely top down on back roads a few weeks ago.

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
Approximately how many inches of height reduction did you get out of it? That looks a lot lower than it was before but it's hard to tell since the bar itself is 2" higher than the hoops were.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the same problem 6' tall and I have not more than an inch to the top. This would could certainly be an issue if the car ever rolls over as your head would hit the pavement.

Can you provide some feedback as to how it feels sitting in the car with the seat lower? Driving position, comfort, etc? I'm strongly considering ordering these as well, since I ordered the Blackbird roll bar to add some roll-over safety.

Shaving 13lbs will help offset about half the weight gain from installing the roll bar, so that's a definite plus!
When you first get in the car after the install you notice a difference but you get used to it pretty quickly. It does feel like the seat base may be angled down a little more at the back. Not huge changes.

As for benefits: I find my line of sight through the windshield is better. The top of the windshield frame isn't in my direct line of sight so I no longer have to crane my neck to see stoplights when the top is up.

As for weight loss, thats just an added bonus. Here you can see where it comes from, factory rails on the left, Paco Moto rails on the right.:

·
Administrator
1,953 Posts
I'm now pretty excited to get these installed. Took a picture showing where my head is relative to the seat and rear hoops.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
@tx Bandit:

This looks like a great improvement! Can you tell me how much front to back adjustment is left after installing this kit? Do you lose a lot of ? Or is it comparable to the standard frame? I am aware of the bolt adjustment system instead of the lever.

Best Regards,

Gijserati

1 - 17 of 17 Posts