Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider in Isola d'Elba Blue with Heritage Pack
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My apologies for adding to the considerable list of threads on Android Auto that already exist - I've trawled through them but still have a few questions as I'd rather not brick my CMU, which is running V56:

- Can I use the MZD-AIO Installer, which is a Graphical User Interface, to install the 'Speedometer' and 'Android Auto Headunit App'?

- If I use this Installer, will it make any other changes to my CMU, such as changing the Abarth Start-Up Logo et cetera to Mazda, given it is designed for the Mazda? I wish to retain everything within my CMU, including original start-up screen and logos, but add Android Auto, and Speedometer functionality if possible.

- Can I use Android Auto with my existing USB setup? I would like to avoid purchasing a compatible USB Hub for $100, and my understanding that this upgraded Hub is only required for the use of Apple Carplay, which would be redundant for me. Is that right?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated - there is a wealth of guidance on upgrading to V70 for the benefit of functioning CarPlay, but not so much on those of us who wish to stick with V56.

Thanks! :D

Reactions: AnClar

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts
Hey all,

My apologies for adding to the considerable list of threads on Android Auto that already exist - I've trawled through them but still have a few questions as I'd rather not brick my CMU, which is running V56:

- Can I use the MZD-AIO Installer, which is a Graphical User Interface, to install the 'Speedometer' and 'Android Auto Headunit App'?

- If I use this Installer, will it make any other changes to my CMU, such as changing the Abarth Start-Up Logo et cetera to Mazda, given it is designed for the Mazda? I wish to retain everything within my CMU, including original start-up screen and logos, but add Android Auto, and Speedometer functionality if possible.

- Can I use Android Auto with my existing USB setup? I would like to avoid purchasing a compatible USB Hub for $100, and my understanding that this upgraded Hub is only required for the use of Apple Carplay, which would be redundant for me. Is that right?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated - there is a wealth of guidance on upgrading to V70 for the benefit of functioning CarPlay, but not so much on those of us who wish to stick with V56.

Thanks! :D
Since you’ll be staying with v56, I’m not sure about using the Mazda gui tweaker. That was designed for use with v70. You might want to check with Dan to see what he thinks. In any event it shouldn’t touch your branding.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you’ll be staying with v56, I’m not sure about using the Mazda gui tweaker. That was designed for use with v70. You might want to check with Dan to see what he thinks. In any event it shouldn’t touch your branding.
Product Operating system Font Screenshot Software

This is a screenshot from the current version of MZD-AIO that I'm using, and it states it is compatible with FW V56 - is there something I'm missing? o_O

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I just updated to v70 firmware and the higher power USB hub and have AndroidAuto running. AA is an option with the older customised AIO from ameridan/68wooley so you might want to try that first.

I've had a play with the latest AIO and the choices are many and a little bewildering. The main reason as far as I can tell for upgrading the USB hub is to get higher power so that your phone actually charges at the same time as running Navigation on Google Maps or Waze and playing music etc. whereas with the original hub your phone will just keep discharging with all that running. The upgraded hub just has the extra power and is not specific for Carplay.

Like you I was going to try AA on v56 but I had bought the upgraded hub so was kind ocommitted to go to v70.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why do people go to all this work for Android Auto? Why not just affix something onto the LCD that your phone magnet sticks to? I have been on the fence about doing the serial cable hack and keep wondering, why not just affix the phone over the LCD? The Cravenspeed phone holdie went to live on a farm as soon as I put Loc-Tite on the screw to keep it from forever coming loose and rotating, so, new best idea I have for solving both issues is to have the LCD dash-contraption hold my phone.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Why do people go to all this work for Android Auto? Why not just affix something onto the LCD that your phone magnet sticks to? I have been on the fence about doing the serial cable hack and keep wondering, why not just affix the phone over the LCD? The Cravenspeed phone holdie went to live on a farm as soon as I put Loc-Tite on the screw to keep it from forever coming loose and rotating, so, new best idea I have for solving both issues is to have the LCD dash-contraption hold my phone.
People value factory-like integration for a number of reasons including aesthetics.

I also would not want to risk the phone detaching from the positioning you describe.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you use your phone and/or CMU for in your car?

·
Registered
181 Posts
In my car I use my phone for Waze and Taylor Swift. Same as with the Camry that does have Android Auto and tbh unless it's a very long trip, we don't even bother convincing Android Auto to work with that car screen despite their already being introduced/paired/initialized/whatever. On my CMU, I normally choose "turn display off and show clock," so it's just a clock. It's got no real value for me 'cause everything was outdated before the car was purchased new, same as with all car entertainment/nav systems I've ever encountered. I only buy outdated new phones, something like $250 USD is the most by far that I've ever paid for any phone, so I don't expect THE latest & greatest but even I still think the CMU is outdated which is the same reason people want to use Android Auto on it. Android Auto sounds like it would be less bad than the CMU, but IME w/the Camry, it's not. Maybe Camry has a particular bad interface with AA and AA is a lot better than I think? I dunno. I just think if you want your phone right there, put your phone right there. It makes sense. Does the car work without the CMU in there? It could come out and a little flat area with a phone mount and a USB port could replace it. I suppose the CMU is the radio, so there would have to be some hook-up between the phone and the amp. A gauge might fit there as well! Oil pressure would be nice to know.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
Well, different strokes for different folks. Personally, I like the considerably larger screen in the Infotainment System, and in my neck of the woods, dicking around with a phone gets you some seriously hefty fines. But hey, whatever floats your boat. As long as you like your solution, that's what matters and what I or anyone else does is immaterial. :)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I guess you like to watch tv or movie on your cell phone. Yes, the cell phone is important to me and how you use it. But if am driving a larger screen gives me more time to think where I am heading instead of staring at the phone to see where to head and while doing that, my eyes are off the road.

I like to watch tv or movies on a large tv not a small screen. LOL

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oh! I get it now. My cheap phone is mega-size. It's close enough to the same size as the Spider's infotainment LCD. LCD might be an inch bigger. I sure do wish the Cravenspeed cup mount phone thing didn't self destruct soon as you add some Loctite to prevent the rotation! Two of those broke on me within days of adding Loctite. 😭

1 - 12 of 12 Posts