Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, heed my advice. Don't do it! I would have happily paid someone to install this for me! I am currently on day 3 of this project. It would have been easier to pull the engine to do this. If you are tempted, first consider how much easier it would be to simply reflash your stock ECU. If money is a factor, what is your time, skin and blood worth?

If after this dire warning you insist on tackling this, start with the cam sensor. By doing it the other way, you will be lulled into a false sense of security. Unless your name is BOBO the Chimp, or Donald J. Trump, your hand will not fit between the engine and the firewall. Next, disregard the pdf instructions. After the secret handshake, I was told the "easy" way to access the plug. You remove the metal plate directly above the sensor. But before you do that, you remove the plastic shroud around the windshield wipers. But before you do that, you remove the wipers. With all that done, you simply break off your fingernails trying to pull the yellow plastic locking tab on the plug. Then it's off to Harbor Freight for a two foot long screwdriver which makes popping the tab and pulling the plug a piece of cake. Before actually seeing the plug, per the instructions I fumbled around blindly and found the plug! Except that it was the wrong plug. I'm looking forward to putting that back together too. So, I have been attempting , with my human sized hands to plug in the harness but it simply won't go. To be honest, I have only been trying to plug it in for a couple of hours. I'm not about to give up this far into it.

Oh yeah, the pdf instructions.They show a less than useful cartoon drawing of a 500. There is a picture of the wiring harness already plugged into the manifold sensor. Not what it looks like while you are searching for it. The instructions are fairly accurate when describing the boost sensor, but the picture is truly horrible. It shows nothing useful. I'll post some pictures if I ever finish this project.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Dan,

Sorry for all the difficulty you have had with installing the EDL...there are obviously bad experiences with the installation but also good ones like mine...I was one of the first if not the first to install one on a 124...I spent about 2 hours doing the install...now I will say that smaller hands make this much easier and if you have large hands expect to take much longer... plus I am kind of used to working in tight places...the access panel under the wiper cowl was not a known option then so I had to do the blind method...persistence pays off...If I can help with answering any questions please ask...don't get discouraged as you will truly enjoy the results...;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan,

Sorry for all the difficulty you have had with installing the EDL...there are obviously bad experiences with the installation but also good ones like mine...I was one of the first if not the first to install one on a 124...I spent about 2 hours doing the install...now I will say that smaller hands make this much easier and if you have large hands expect to take much longer... plus I am kind of used to working in tight places...the access panel under the wiper cowl was not a known option then so I had to do the blind method...persistence pays off...If I can help with answering any questions please ask...don't get discouraged as you will truly enjoy the results...;)
Thanks for the encouragement. I finally got the plug on. Now I do have a question for you. The two-wire plug next to the rpm sensor, which side has the clip/latch? I can't remember and it will make pushing it on a lot easier.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dan, you've confirmed my fears and reluctance. The DV+ and V1 were easy. The EDL install looks like a nightmare and sadly I know no one regionally that I would trust my car too. So I imagine I'll be putting this off a long while. I may just drive to Austin and let the madness folks do their piggyback unit. Not as good, but I suspect it's not bad either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't hesitate to put in the flash. Or even the clone ECU. I'm sure it will work as advertised. I wear a size medium motorcycle glove so it's not like my hands are Hulk or Wreck It Ralph sized. back at it.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Dan,

Sorry for all the difficulty you have had with installing the EDL...there are obviously bad experiences with the installation but also good ones like mine...I was one of the first if not the first to install one on a 124...I spent about 2 hours doing the install...now I will say that smaller hands make this much easier and if you have large hands expect to take much longer... plus I am kind of used to working in tight places...the access panel under the wiper cowl was not a known option then so I had to do the blind method...persistence pays off...If I can help with answering any questions please ask...don't get discouraged as you will truly enjoy the results...
Thanks for the encouragement. I finally got the plug on. Now I do have a question for you. The two-wire plug next to the rpm sensor, which side has the clip/latch? I can't remember and it will make pushing it on a lot easier.
Dan...be home in about 30 minutes and will get you that answer

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Dan..from the picture of the back of the engine I beleive the clip is on the bottom of the connector...towards the ground...go to page 7 of the instructions and you can see that connector...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GOT IT!!! Everything is buttoned up. I drove it around the block and made an interesting observation. In first, second and third gears, whenever I hit 4000 rpm the traction control light comes on. That causes the engine to reduce power. By overriding it with the switch this car becomes the car it should have been from the factory!

Like I said, I don't have huge hands but there is just not enough room for a normal human. My wife made the suggestion to put massage oil on the back of my hand to lube it. That may sound silly but it actually worked!! Thanks Baby! My computer is acting up but I'll post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to put in the flash. Or even the clone ECU. I'm sure it will work as advertised. I wear a size medium motorcycle glove so it's not like my hands are Hulk or Wreck It Ralph sized. back at it.
I may do the ECU flash. Hard for me to be without the car for the time to ship back and forth though with my schedule but its something I'm considering. Far easier to access the ECU than the cam sensor.

·
Registered
958 Posts
GOT IT!!! Everything is buttoned up. I drove it around the block and made an interesting observation. In first, second and third gears, whenever I hit 4000 rpm the traction control light comes on. That causes the engine to reduce power. By overriding it with the switch this car becomes the car it should have been from the factory!

Like I said, I don't have huge hands but there is just not enough room for a normal human. My wife made the suggestion to put massage oil on the back of my hand to lube it. That may sound silly but it actually worked!! Thanks Baby! My computer is acting up but I'll post some pictures soon.
Don't forget that it will take about 50 or 60 miles of driving for the EDL to mind meld with the ECU. Once it has you will like the extra power and driving quality. Your description of the install sounded a bit dramatic, but I too found the cam speed sensor install difficult with my son-in-law, daughter and grandson all giving it a try before I was able to get the connector on the sensor. I wear a size large glove and was able to complete it. One of the things I found helpful on the manifold pressure and boost pressure sensors was the installation video for the 500Madness unit.:)

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts

Way to go Dan...Like John said it will get better as ECU learns your car...enjoy:D

·
Registered
615 Posts
I may just drive to Austin and let the madness folks do their piggyback unit. Not as good, but I suspect it's not bad either.
Not wanting to take this off topic, but curious why you think it's not as good? It's certainly got a better feature set than EC's Dimsport based unit.

Others have said elsewhere that without accessing the cam position sensor they've no way to adjust the boost curve according to RPM.

Granted, that is true, but instead they adjust the boost curve according to fuel flow instead.

Which is the better method of adjusting the boost curve? I'm sure there's a long winded and pointless debate with plenty of popcorn required to decide that one, all of which is moot really because Madness now also offer their unit for the 124 with the cam position sensor connector if you want it! >:)

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time Dan, though I must say your eloquently written post did crack me up!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Not wanting to take this off topic, but curious why you think it's not as good? It's certainly got a better feature set than EC's Dimsport based unit.

Others have said elsewhere that without accessing the cam position sensor they've no way to adjust the boost curve according to RPM.

Granted, that is true, but instead they adjust the boost curve according to fuel flow instead.

Which is the better method of adjusting the boost curve? I'm sure there's a long winded and pointless debate with plenty of popcorn required to decide that one, all of which is moot really because Madness now also offer their unit for the 124 with the cam position sensor connector if you want it! >:)

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time Dan, though I must say your eloquently written post did crack me up!
Pete,

You answered your own question. "Madness now also offer their unit for the 124 with the cam position sensor connector if you want it." If their unit was better than or as good as EC's without the third connector, there would be no reason to offer it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to try to post pictures. My home internet is still down so I thought I would try my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife's idea turned out to be the solution.
Long screwdriver releasing the yellow lock tab.
The wiper cover. First pull the rubber seal from the plastic pins then you can remove the two screws that hold the plastic in place.
View from the wheel well.
A closeup of the plug.
I would have worn gloves but there was no room for the.

·
Vendor
3,343 Posts
Dan, I am sorry you had so much trouble with the installation. During the last couple days I have been traveling so I was off line, but I see others answered your questions. I am glad you got it installed in the end.

Greg

·
Vendor
3,343 Posts

Pete, please explain to us how the product in question senses fuel flow.

Which is the better method of adjusting the boost curve? I'm sure there's a long winded and pointless debate with plenty of popcorn required to decide that one,
Not much room for debate here. One method exists, the other doesn't.

all of which is moot really because Madness now also offer their unit for the 124 with the cam position sensor connector if you want it! >:)
That doesn't mean they use it to change the boost curve.

Greg

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.