Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:
When I bought my Lusso last September, it was sufficiently new to the UK market that my insurers (a UK market leader) could only locate an Abarth on their system, so my premium was set accordingly. I protested at the inadequacy of their system, and I was promised a reduction in the premium when they could identify a Lusso as existing.

Nothing happened, and I have just received my renewal notice, still showing the Abarth. I called the insurers today to query this, and to request that they change the details on their system and reduce my premium. You or I or any reasonable person would say that an Abarth is a higher risk (more powerful, more expensive) than a Lusso ??
Apparently not, and the reason for this is the ludicrous statistical risk approach by insurers. To keep it simple, if there was only 1 Abarth and 100 Lusso’s, then I can understand that statistically there would be more claims by Lusso owners, and in the bizarre world of insurance, that equates to a higher risk.

Consequently – and yes, I was sitting down when they told me this – to change the details of my car would attract a HIGHER premium at renewal. I suggested they might want to reconsider this before I took the matter further, oh and by the way if in the meantime my car was written-off / stolen yes please I’d be delighted to have an Abarth in replacement ! To make some sense of matters, they needed to “change the car”on their system (even though I explained it’s the same car, same registration,and same VIN). In the end they agreed to amend the details, but I am still going to have to pay the same amount (not a reduced amount) for the renewal premium.

I would add that I am 66, and have an unblemished driving record with no convictions and no claims.
Has anyone else (in the UK) experienced anything like this nonsense with their insurer ? :mad:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm also in the Uk. Took delivery of my 50th Anniversary Fiat 124 Spider on 6th October 2016. Contacting my insurers (Carol Nash) I was told that the new model had not been listed on their system. They phoned me back the following day and amended my existing policy accordingly. The existing policy is due to expire on 10 May. The car initially insured was a 2014 Mazda mx 5, 2litre sport. The total cost of the amended policy, in respect of the spider, was £10.

I have had my cars and motorcycles insured with them for 20 years and have always been pleased with their service. Though I've never claimed or, had a claim made against my insurance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also in the Uk. Took delivery of my 50th Anniversary Fiat 124 Spider on 6th October 2016. Contacting my insurers (Carol Nash) I was told that the new model had not been listed on their system. ...QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, I will give them a call to see if I can get a better deal (as Brokers, they should be able to do the shopping around for quotes for me).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi, I also encountered insurance problems. I collected my car on 10th Sept, having tried for over 10 days to get cover including FIAT's own insurance scheme. All companies gave the same issue - the car isn't on the system yet!

My contacts with FIAT UK over the problem resulted in my dealer covering my car on their insurance for a week while 'the 124 was added to the insurance system'. I even contacted the main UK insurance governing body who were aware of the problem and told me to inform any insurance company that it was similar to the MX5 2016 but they were confident the car would appear on the system within a day or 2.

It did appear a week later as: Fiat 124 Spider 1.4 - details to follow and Abarth 124 Spider 1.4 with all the details for an accurate insurance quote. So armed with these references I managed to get Liverpool and Victoria to insure my Fiat as an Abarth and they would adjust the details within a month, including the premium. 2 weeks later all the info was on the web site and the Abarth was £40 more expensive as I would expect.

LV did contacted me at the end of September as promised to say they had now changed my policy to show a Fiat Anniversary etc and they would waive the extra £10 charge. I was expecting a £40 refund so contacted them. Eventally a 'manager' said the prices I was giving him were 'online' prices but my cover was arranged on the phone which was more expensive.

So in summary: It was hard to insure the Fiat 124 Spider as a new car policy in Sept at launch date. Even Fiat UK couldn't understand what had gone wrong and why this 'new car' could not be insured.
The Abarth 124 was the first to be listed so insurance companies used this and then treated the changes to a Fiat 124 as though they were a customer change of car - and incured charges.

This was the most disappointing part of the 'new car' experience. But I have now got over it.
Danny

·
Registered
958 Posts
This discussion makes me happy with my insurance company. When I purchased my Lusso on August 28th, USAA already had the car in the system. They were able to match to my VIN.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was pleasantly amazed that my 2017 Abarth was less than my 2008 Hyundai Azera with full coverage...
Dont tell State Farm....ssshhhh!

·
Banned
112 Posts
Here in the New World,there is a 4 hp and $700 price difference between Lusso and Abarth. Should/will that offer a difference in insurance premiums?

·
Banned
112 Posts
This discussion makes me happy with my insurance company. When I purchased my Lusso on August 28th, USAA already had the car in the system. They were able to match to my VIN.
OT:I couldn't be happier with USAA regarding their rates and customer service.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I also encountered insurance problems..... I managed to get Liverpool and Victoria to insure my Fiat as an Abarth and they would adjust the details within a month, including the premium. 2 weeks later all the info was on the web site and the Abarth was £40 more expensive as I would expect./
Let's just say my insurers bear a striking similarity to yours.... the only redeeming feature is they have now reduced my excess. And FYI my premium is £268 p.a. fully comp / limited mileage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote Me Happy.com were fine - though a lot higher than 268.00. Mine was £377.35 fully comp with protected no claims. My old insurance company wouldn't insure it RAC/Hastings

·
Registered
165 Posts
In the USA, State Farm Insurance IDs the Abarth 124 as "Make: Chrysler" "Model: Fiat 124". Semi-annual premium for my Abarth, with $500 deductible on collision, is $420.83 (£337). This includes uninsured motorist, emergency road, comprehensive and car rental coverages. Curious how that stacks up with USAA.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
When we bought the Abarth it wasn't listed at all with our insurer and we couldn't get cover for it. We had to change insurer in order to be able to take delivery of it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
In the USA, State Farm Insurance IDs the Abarth 124 as "Make: Chrysler" "Model: Fiat 124". Semi-annual premium for my Abarth, with $500 deductible on collision, is $420.83 (£337). This includes uninsured motorist, emergency road, comprehensive and car rental coverages. Curious how that stacks up with USAA.
Living in New Mexico is a disadvantage when it comes to car insurance. My 3 cars cost me nearly $1500 a year, mainly because it is a short, fast trip to Mexico from here, and there are chop shops in town as well. I have no idea what it would be if I did not have the multi-car discount.

·
Banned
112 Posts
I doubt you'll find many with USAA coverage. They mostly cater to Veterans.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I doubt you'll find many with USAA coverage. They mostly cater to Veterans and their dependents and their dependents' dependents, etc..
fify,

So, you'll find many with USAA coverage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I will give them a call to see if I can get a better deal (as Brokers, they should be able to do the shopping around for quotes for me).
Have them check for the vehicle under their Chrysler listing. Here in the US, my State Farm insurance agent couldn't find it under Fiat, but it WAS listed under the Chrysler line.
And the funny thing, it's only $6 more a month than the 2016 RAV4 that we have.

·
Registered
958 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
State Farm covered my car even before they had it listed - there is evidently a way to add a vehicle before they have all the data on a new model. That was in September. In any case, my insurance went down compared to my 2012 BMW 1 series.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts