Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there are like 6 different intake for this car. Can someone please explain the difference between them all. It seems to me that the more expensive one would flow less air then the cheap ones

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
This comes up a lot. I think I literally did a write up on this forum within the last week, but I forgot where it is. Anyway, regarding our intakes:

1. The V1 is the easiest to install and least expensive. It also looks and sounds pretty close to stock.
2. Our V2 makes some noise, and in most situations can make a little more power than the V1. It's main drawback is that if the car is sitting still it's the most susceptible to heat soak, which will of course rob some power. This is a minor issue since when you want power, the car is usually moving.
3. Our top intake is our V4. Less noise than the V2, but it gives the most power, and since it's a sealed intake it's fairly consistent. It's also a true ram air intake so the faster you go, the better it works.

All three of our intakes are here: https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-engine

Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Greg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This comes up a lot. I think I literally did a write up on this forum within the last week, but I forgot where it is. Anyway, regarding our intakes:

1. The V1 is the easiest to install and least expensive. It also looks and sounds pretty close to stock.
2. Our V2 makes some noise, and in most situations can make a little more power than the V1. It's main drawback is that if the car is sitting still it's the most susceptible to heat soak, which will of course rob some power. This is a minor issue since when you want power, the car is usually moving.
3. Our top intake is our V4. Less noise than the V2, but it gives the most power, and since it's a sealed intake it's fairly consistent. It's also a true ram air intake so the faster you go, the better it works.

All three of our intakes are here: https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-engine

Feel free to ask any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Greg
Thank you for the response are the diameters on the V1 and V4 the same or what is the size difference

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Thank you for the response are the diameters on the V1 and V4 the same or what is the size difference
Good question. They are mostly different. Of course at the turbo's inlet they are all the same because they have to fit onto the turbo. The V4 has a 3" diameter throughout most of its length, only narrowing down when it has to in order to meet up with the turbo. The V1's maximum diameter is 2.75" and only in a very short section. Additionally, the V4 has bend and size transitions which are more flow friendly. With the V1 were were more constrained because it had to meet up with a factory part at each end.

In terms of performance, the V4 is better, no question about it, but the V1 isn't intended to be a max performance intake, it's aimed at another segment of the market, one which seems to be the majority of 124 owners.

Greg

·
Registered
288 Posts
In terms of performance, the V4 is better, no question about it, but the V1 isn't intended to be a max performance intake, it's aimed at another segment of the market, one which seems to be the majority of 124 owners.

Greg

Care to elaborate?

Or I'll ask it another way:

If cost is not an issue and the intake is being done in cojunction the flash tune are there any compelling reasons not to go with V4?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
1,923 Posts
The V1 intake reduces intake temps, offers optional higher-flowing filters, and improves airflow while being easily removable for warranty work and costing the least of the options. Most 124 owners will want to retain OEM design while making improvements wherever possible, and having a fairly easy install. The V1 intake makes significant improvements to the intake system while retaining the OEM airbox. On average, this intake reduces air charge temps by ~9 degrees F.

The V2 intake utilizes an open element filter that is fitted against the ram air intake. Not all owners will be fond of this design for two reasons. First, it will start pulling in warm air when the engine sits and the engine bay heats up. Note that on average, this intake still provides a ~6 degree F drop over the stock intake. The filter is located lower in the engine bay, and at higher speeds, the ram air forces air through the end of the open filter element. As a result of having an open filter element, you get all of the induction and turbo sounds coming through the filter. I have such an intake on another vehicle and for most owners, you either love it or hate it. It isn't a true cold air intake, but it provides almost as much power as the V4 intake.

The V4 intake utilizes a custom filter housing and intake tube and receives air exclusively through the ram air system on the car. It drops temps the most at ~13F, provides the most power increase, but costs almost 2x as much as the V1. It is the most performance-minded intake, but also costs the most of the three options.

A more detailed overview and comparison of the intakes is provided by EC here: http://eurocompulsion.net/FIAT124SPIDERINTAKETECH.pdf

·
Administrator
1,923 Posts
Care to elaborate?

If cost is not an issue and the intake is being done in cojunction the flash tune are there any compelling reasons not to go with V4?

Thanks in advance.
One reason to go with the V2 intake over the V4 is if you really want to hear that turbo and induction sound. One reason to go with the V1 intake is if you want to retain factory appearance; there's an available black intake that makes it indistinguishable to a stock intake to the untrained eye.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Care to elaborate?

Thanks in advance.
I would be happy to elaborate. First of all, cost is usually an issue, and the V4 is the most expensive intake we have for the 124. Appearance is a big issue for some people. In certain parts of the world, maintaining a stock appearance is important. The V2 and V4 are very obviously aftermarket intakes, the V1 when in black looks pretty much stock and tends to go under the radar.

Filter choice is an issue. Some people are really big fans of K&N, some really want to keep the stock filter. The V1 offers these choices plus the two AFE filters. The V2 and V4 come with one filter.

The V2 is sort of a fun intake. It adds a meaningful amount of power, but also has the most aggressive sound. These cars are fun, and the sound is a big part of that, so a good argument can be made for the V2. It also has what in my view is the best filter. It's made for us by Green and is really big.

Now in all the purely subjective areas, the V4 cleans up. It gives the most power under most if not all conditions. It's filter is pretty good, and it looks nice. It's also quiet so it will pass the wife/girlfriend/SO test every time.

Greg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you both for the break down i think in going to go with a v2 kit looks the most aggressive and i know i can Fab up something to make my own box

1 - 10 of 10 Posts