Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I live in Colorado and recently bought a used 2017 Lusso with ~22K miles. Had Miata NC previously and since I loved the Miata but wanted to have a slightly different experience I choose 124 as my next car. For the same reason, after modifying my Miata to the point it got not so enjoyable for daily driving after 5 years of owning the car, I choose Lusso over Abarth.

So the first question I have, when I first started the car I noticed it is being louder than i expected. I read that Abarth has louder exhaust but was expecting a regular level of engine and exhaust noise from Lusso. I am not new to the sound of small 4-bangers and little to no sound insulation of convertibles, also not new to the sound of aftermarket exhaust, but what I hear makes me think that 124 Lusso in stock form is just louder than regular cars. It is noticeably louder than MX-5 that I had before. Particularly, I hear the low and loud sound in 2-3k RPM range when you give a little gas in neutral, or when RPMs drop in this range, almost like the sound aftermarket exhaust would produce, and just louder in general in other ranges. What do you guys think, is it a stock sound or should I look for mods?

The next question, maybe very related to the previous one, I smell something that is similar to exhaust fumes coming from vents when A/C or heater is on. I am saying similar to exhaust because I am not sure if it is exhaust, it could be a coolant smell, dirt on exhaust, or whatever is smelling under the hood. The smell is not strong enough to tell what it is. Even though there is a similar thread on this forum, it did not give me answers, and it could be really nothing and will go away eventually, but I wanted to check if anyone has experienced it lately and know about a common issue/solution.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Hi and Welcome...What you are describing sounds "very much" like an exhaust leak....you have a 124 Lusso, standard exhaust is quiet, so did someone fir an after market exhaust, unlikely as the next statement you make says about the smell....which also indicates that you have a leak in the exhaust system which is giving you the unfiltered noise level and "Gassing" you ! So, recently bought...back to garage / shop and demand they inspect / replace it. If you have owned the car a little while then they will just say "Tough" as the exhaust system is classed as a consumable, so.........YOU NEED TO get it sorted as you are putting yourself at risk by the sound (no pun) of it. Cheers
ron

Reactions: AbarthEsq

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
521 Posts
I believe Ron is spot on. Couple of questions though. Does your exhaust have 2 or 4 tips? That's an indication whether you have the stock Lusso muffler or the PO changed it for a RM or an after market axle back section. If so they may not have fitted the gasket properly which would answer both your questions. Get it sorted ASAP while your selling dealership may still be required to correct the issue. Let us know what you discover. Also, post some pictures. Show off your prize. 👍

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I think it was the oil that the dealer spilled during the oil change, they also overfilled the engine with oil but that is a different story. I cleaned oily spots where I can reach with a purple degreaser and wa-lah there is no smell anymore.

Regarding the exhaust sound, it is stock, no exhaust leak, and is louder than regular cars. The low freq rumbling is coming from pipes. I compare to my previous MX-5 and Mazda-3 that I also have, Fiat is just louder, it is what it is I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts