Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through the manual and can't find anything about how to actually get text messages. When I go into the communication settings, Notifications and Text Messages are grayed out. I have an iPhone 7 Plus and have it connected via a USB cable (so the thing stays charged during long drives.) Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong? The manual says I should be notified of text messages, but I'm getting nothing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I honestly don't think it works with the iPhone - or at least it never has with my iPhone 7 since I've owned the car. The two Toyotas (our 2016 RAV4 that we traded in on the new 2017 4Runner) both had no issues with it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Well, this is interesting, because that's what I thought, too. It implies SMS messages will show, but iMessage is not mentioned. I tested it (iPhone 6), and no message showed.

However, the other day, I received an iMessage, and it popped up that I'd received a message a and would I like to read it now: it also literally reads it for you. The phone showed it as an iMessage, but perhaps it was received as an SMS message?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kind of what I thought after playing around in the garage last night. Not the answer I was hoping for but thanks TDPerry for the reply.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It has been mentioned in another thread that Mazda is developing Apple Car play and it will be available as an upgrade. Sounds like software and maybe some minor hardware. No eta

·
Registered
476 Posts
i can't help with iphone but does work with android, it was initially turned on on my car but i turned it off. don't need that bothering me while driving, it will wait.

·
Registered
726 Posts
i can't help with iphone but does work with android, it was initially turned on on my car but i turned it off. don't need that bothering me while driving, it will wait.
I'm on the same page. My car is my sanctuary, where I focus on my driving experience and listenening to music. I wouldn't want to receive texts unless I had a job where it was necessary.

Reactions: Rando

·
Registered
289 Posts
I often get text messages, though not 100%. Can't reply but don't mind that. You need to go into the fiat bluetooth settings on the phone and enable it (notifications I believe), as well as in the car. I'm using an iphone7.

·
Registered
956 Posts
On iPhone: Go to Setting, Bluetooth, 124 Spider. Click on the (i). Click on Show Notifications.

·
Registered
96 Posts
On iPhone: Go to Setting, Bluetooth, 124 Spider. Click on the (i). Click on Show Notifications.
Ok so I did this and get incoming text messages. How do I respond back with the preset messages?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm on the same page. My car is my sanctuary, where I focus on my driving experience and listenening to music. I wouldn't want to receive texts unless I had a job where it was necessary.
I turned on notifications prior to my 3 hr drive. After about 30 minutes of constantly having my music interrupted, I realized I was in the same boat as you. I don't want to be hassled while I'm enjoying my drive. I turned them off and doubt very much they'll ever be turned back on.

·
Registered
561 Posts
You always have the option of not having it read the message once the notification appears visually. That doesn't affect music playback. If you don't feel like responding then just let the music play. The screen shows who is texting or emailing, so you can determine how important it might be.

I turned on notifications prior to my 3 hr drconstantly having my music interrupted, I realized I was in the same boat as you. I don't want to be hassled while I'm enjoying my drive. I turned them off and doubt very much they'll ever be turned back on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm guessing the greyed out reply arrow means this function doesn't work with my iPhone 6. Messages read out OK though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you driving over 5 mph? It is a speed restricted item. See this for more.
No, stopped outside the house. Since found http://www.124spiderinfotainment.com and checked phone compatibility. Apparently the iPhone 6/7 can receive texts but can't send/reply etc. Shouldn't be fiddling about replying to texts while driving anyway and when stopped much easier to use the phone ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've noticed when my iPhone is connected via Bluetooth to my car, it and the infotainment system don't make any noise when I receive a text message. If I'm not looking at the screen when the notification comes in, I can't tell. Is it possible to have the system make a sound? I'm not crazy about texting when I'm out driving, but sometimes, it's nice to know there's a message.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ye
I'm guessing the greyed out reply arrow means this function doesn't work with my iPhone 6. Messages read out OK though.
Yeah. You can read your texts, but no responding to texts with an iPhone. (Unless you do the CarPlay mod, in which case you could probably write a novel...)

·
Registered
‘18 Abarth 124Spider
213 Posts
I was able to respond to a text via my iPhone. (no carplay mod) I used one of the pre-loaded reply messages.
However, at the bottom of my reply it says. "Sent from my 124Spider" \

Anyone know how to turn this off??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts