Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a 124 owner yet. Just a 15 Abarth C. Before I purchase a 124 I need to know I can add a hitch for both a bike rack and my rack and roll trailer. So a question for owners. It appears the problem with a hitch receiver is Fiat's placement of the backup light pod. Is there a way to exit above the light by cutting out a part of the bumper? Kind of like I did here on my smart?

Or moving the backup light as in a Mini Cooper? Or even taking out the backup light when using the hitch.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It is really easy to remove the backup light assemby. It is 6 easy access screws and the disconnection of the wiring for the reverse light. When I was doing a mod for the backup light assembly I drove around for quite a few days without the assembly in place without any problems ( aside from the legal requirement to have a reverse light).
It was a good size opening and if you were really lucky you might be able to fit a 1.25 inch receiver through it without any cutting.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The manual does say that the car is not designed to tow a trailer. So, finding suitable hitch mounting points may be difficult, as well as finding a fabricated hitch.

As an additional note, [my] car has a note "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 340lbs" (!). You could put a significant amount of stress on the rear suspension with a trailer, even a hyperlite aluminum trailer (like the rack and roll).

Having said that, since you would only be towing something light, careful design of a hitch may be able fabricated so it is in front of that light pod with arms going to the left and right of the pod with removable bolts hidden underneath the car (so it can be removed for daily driving). This may be easier if you have a muffler delete. Removing that muffler seems to expose a ton of space under the rear of the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main reason for wanting a hitch receiver is for my bike rack, a Kuat NV, That said I have towed my rack and roll trailer with two kayaks and two bikes all over the country using my smart, 500 pop c or my TT roadster without any problems.

There are a couple of sources of hitches for the MX-5. Even the new style so fitment to the 124 chassis itself shouldn't be a problem. However the backup light pod is right where the hitch is designed to exit the MX-5.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
As an additional note, [my] car has a note "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 340lbs
I hadn't seen that - that's not much payload once you factor in the rather portly nature of most Americans...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts