Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horn is at the pitch of B above middle C. Several tones higher than my wife's Panda! Has anyone tried their horn ?? I was kinda expecting a two-tone mildly agressive 'out of my way' horn, not a single-tone 'I'm awfully sorry to disturb you' one!!!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I like it too!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Both of my brother's Fiat 124 Sport coupes had great sounding air horns. Greg we need an easy to install version for our spiders.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The horns fine on mine, now if you want a weedy horn get a Honda CR-V how they had the nerve to fit that excuse for a horn I'll never understand

·
Registered
289 Posts
The abarth horn is way better than what the Miata gets. My nc was embarrassing and replaced immediately. The abarth horn gets people's attention no problem.

Reactions: ferretgt500

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's always the minivans/SUVs... Why is that?
While not defending driver inattentiveness, we do drive a small car, very low down. People don't use their mirrors very well, and even looking over your shoulder in an SUV, it's possible to miss a car so low down if it's just a quick glance.

What makes it worse is that drivers DON'T USE THEIR TURN SIGNALS! At lest if they didn't see you, but used the signals appropriately, you have a second or so before they move into your space. Turn signals say 'I am maneuvering', not 'I'd like to manouever'

·
Registered
638 Posts
The horn on my Abarth is the best horn I've had since my 1968 Olds. The Honda/Toyota horns leave a LOT to be desired.
Agree. Sounds like 70's boat cars horn my father used to own!

Reactions: Codyroo

·
Registered
350 Posts
Too many onboard distractions...screaming kids and such....and when they're not toting the screamers around, well, there's always the phone to keep them busy....keep your head on a swivel...
Which is why I have a high pitched air horn on my bike, wakes them up better than than a boot to the door. And yes I've had to do both when a chatty cathy wondered into my lane with their cell phone glued to their left eye acting like a blinder.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I am impressed with Wendi's horn...being that I assumed its a Mazda horn..I was mentally prepared for the weak anemic blare that my wifes CX-5 gives..sounds like a muffled frog that I stepped on. weak and no sound. But Wendi's is strong.

I thinkI need to order some abarth horns for her CX-5...

·
Registered
480 Posts
personally I am fine with the horn's performance in my abarth. when I got my NB, I hated my "roadrunner", "meep meep" horn. if I am not mistaken my first modification was a set of fiamm highway blasters. the first time I hit it, I was reminded of a 60's chunk of Detroit iron rolling down the road. travelling through the French quarter in new Orleans the roads are constantly being blocked by taxis on and offloading passengers from the travel lanes, the highway blaster adds a bit of motivation to get them moving. also the whiskey tango foxtrot looks you get producing that much noise from a miata if funny too!!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
As I stated in another Spider horn thread a couple months ago, I'm fine with the stock horn, which I consider an offensive driving tactic vs. using defensive driving skills.

That said, I've used those Fiamm Freeway Busters on a previous motorcycle. I wonder if the Fiamms would be plug-n-play on the Spider, or if some wiring mod with a relay is necessary? Anyone know? I'm not a mechanic to be able to figure this out myself. But those Fiamms do punch the decibels!

Steve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Could people possibly tell me whether their horns a two-tone or twin-tone? Mine is not, and the theory is that the lower tone is not working. Knowing the horn should be a two-tone horn would confirm that.

Here is a link to my horn sound:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
While not defending driver inattentiveness, we do
drive a small car, very low down. People don't use their mirrors very well, and even looking over your shoulder in an SUV, it's possible to miss a car so low down if it's just a quick glance.

What makes it worse is that drivers DON'T USE THEIR TURN SIGNALS! At lest if they didn't see you, but used the signals appropriately, you have a second or so before they move into your space. Turn signals say 'I am maneuvering', not 'I'd like to manouever'
Don't get me started on turn signals - how quiet are the ones on the Spider? I can hardly hear them and surely on an open top car it's even more essential that they be loud enough to hear. Mine don't self cancel very well which adds to the problem. Anyone know how to boost the volume?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts