Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Abarth 124 Spider in Isola d'Elba Blue with Heritage Pack
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm aware that we have the interior trunk/boot light which is activated when the trunk is opened, and can switched off.

Is anybody aware of whether this circuit, prior to reaching the switch activated by the trunk being open, is a constant live? I wish to install a tracker inside the trunk and require a constant live.

On a side note, I am aware of the wiring that's available in the passenger compartment, and within the engine bay, however, I would much prefer this tracker to be hidden in the trunk, for obvious reasons.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey all,

I'm aware that we have the interior trunk/boot light which is activated when the trunk is opened, and can switched off.

Is anybody aware of whether this circuit, prior to reaching the switch activated by the trunk being open, is a constant live? I wish to install a tracker inside the trunk and require a constant live.

On a side note, I am aware of the wiring that's available in the passenger compartment, and within the engine bay, however, I would much prefer this tracker to be hidden in the trunk, for obvious reasons.

I dont think there is when I checked to do the wiring of my dash cam with rear sensor. You could run a live feed from the passenger footwell through the trims to the boot. Thats what I did, it was dead easy.

·
Premium Member
3,136 Posts
I don't believe it's alive. If it were, those of us who winter our cars would end up with drained batteries. Another stealthy location for a tracker would be in the cubby's that are behind your seat backs.

·
Registered
2020 124 Spider Abarth
87 Posts
From the diagrams I've seen the trunk light should have constant voltage on one side of it. Easy to check, put a volt meter on one side of the lamp or the other and see what stays 12V whether the light is switched on or not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the diagrams I've seen the trunk light should have constant voltage on one side of it. Easy to check, put a volt meter on one side of the lamp or the other and see what stays 12V whether the light is switched on or not.
I've ordered a multi-meter to check this - £6.99 delivered from Amazon, result!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe it's alive. If it were, those of us who winter our cars would end up with drained batteries. Another stealthy location for a tracker would be in the cubby's that are behind your seat backs.
Good shout, I suppose I could route wiring from the passenger compartment fuse (which already supplies power for the underseat subwoofer).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think there is when I checked to do the wiring of my dash cam with rear sensor. You could run a live feed from the passenger footwell through the trims to the boot. Thats what I did, it was dead easy.
I was trying to avoid this, as I suspect that the passenger compartment fusebox would be a prime location for any thieve to fiddle with in an attempt to disable a tracker. I'll do some more research. 😢

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
330 Posts
live? I wish to install a tracker inside the trunk and require a constant live.
There is a tiny compartment under the passenger floor mat where a vin number is located. Kind of small, but will it fit your tracker?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was trying to avoid this, as I suspect that the passenger compartment fusebox would be a prime location for any thieve to fiddle with in an attempt to disable a tracker. I'll do some more research. 😢
You could use and link to a small rechargable back up battery in the boot. Therefore if a thieve disconnected your main battery the tracker would still work. Thats assuming the tracker does not have a back up battery built in.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I just took a small video of the boot (trunk) light. It's permanently live as shown on the wiring diagram, but with a switch so that if you're leaving the lid open for a while, you can turn it off. It's controlled by (I guess) a microswitch in the lock/latch mechanism. It's only a small guage wire however, protected by a xxx amp fuse (tbc) but I understand the tracker only draws a small current anyway? Plenty of room to attach the tracker behind the boot liners, maybe even behind the metal cover over the fuel lines?

Hood Motor vehicle Grille Automotive exterior Automotive design
Building Urban design Naval architecture Font Electric blue

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you leave the trunk open, I think it goes off after a while. I don’t know how that works if the light power is a constant hot: is the light ground switched with both the trunk switch and whatever breaks the power flow after a while? I’m ignorant of the electrical diagram, though, and don’t know if the power is sourced directly or through the BCM.

·
Registered
2020 124 Spider Abarth
87 Posts
Here's the diagram from the ND Miata. The blue line feeds power through a few fuses to the trunk light. When the switch is closed current can flow through the lamp to the ESU. The ESU can interrupt that flow to turn off the light when the trunk is closed or after it has been open for too long. If you tap into the correct side of the trunk light you will have power all the time.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yes I noticed that, it stays on for a long time, I tried videoing it but stopped after 10 minutes with the light still on. I then closed the lid, and when I opened it later, the light did not come on. I switched the switch off then on again and the light came on.

It turns out that the earth connection is being controlled by the "integrated power" module somehow. The light has two wires: "BK/DB" (black/dark blue?) which provides permanent +12V via fuse F7 (15A) which itself is powered via fuse F26 (25A) and maxi fuse F1 (200A), and "GY/GN" (grey/green?) is the earth connection from the integrated power module.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Here's the diagram from the ND Miata. The blue line feeds power through a few fuses to the trunk light. When the switch is closed current can flow through the lamp to the ESU. The ESU can interrupt that flow to turn off the light when the trunk is closed or after it has been open for too long. If you tap into the correct side of the trunk light you will have power all the time.

View attachment 89130
Perfect.

Interesting that automotive maintain the 'ground switched' approach.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone! This is very useful. I won't be getting the Tracker for a month or two, but I'll post when I do install.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick heads up, the tracker is installed and I hooked in to the Black/Dark Blue by the boot light. (y)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reactions: Augerhandle
1 - 18 of 18 Posts