Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here and I've been looking to buy a Miata or 124 spider. I found this 2017 bronze Classica in excellent condition with just 3600 miles on it. They are listing it at $18400 and $20900 out the door. I might be able to haggle down to $19500 out the door. I need help deciding if it's worth it at that price?

I see a new 2019 white Classica with the 7" infotainment screen and backup camera listed nearby for $20300, so out the door probably $22300. What should I do?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can't tell you what to do, I can only tell you what I did. Two months ago, I drove away from a dealer with a brand new Abarth Spider, MSRP $31K, and I was OTD at $24K.

Honestly, at the prices you could snap up a new Classica at, I'd have a real hard time buying a used one for the same money, and I bet, if you went into that dealer with the new White one, waving a cash down around, you'd be able to negotiate a comfortable price OTD, something a bit better than $22.3k.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I would offer them $13k.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
I've got the Classica and I love it, however......Listen to what the Boys are saying, You have to hang tough on price, "THEY WANT YOUR BUSINESS" and why even consider the used car (they paid trade for) when you could walk in with that cash down payment, ask for their BEST PRICE FOR CASH, no trade and drive out grinning.........but remember, always be prepared to walk away if they get clever, leave a contact number and tell them you have other deals to consider. Best Wishes and WHEN you collect your Spider...PHOTO's...we must see photo's. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
163 Posts
Brexit! is spot on. You must convey in no uncertain terms that you really don't care if you buy their car or not. It's a game of chess and they are near grand masters at the game so beware but AWARE that you have the ultimate move - just walk away leaving your contact info and instructions to call you when they are ready to meet your price and not call if they are a dollar more. It works. Good luck and post up pictures for us when they cave and sell you the car at the deal you want. (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. From what I see in all the auto buying websites and after having talked to some dealers, they seem to have jacked up prices now compared to couple of months ago. I think one reason is because new 2017 or 2018 spiders are all gone by now. I've walked out on all the dealers after explaining to them about the low prices a couple of months ago. I'll wait until winter for better deals I guess.

·
Registered
95 Posts
dont listen to these silly kids
no dealer is going to sell you an almost new fiat for 13k$.
these people above dont understand mileage on a used car affects it's value

now, you can get the same car with FIFTY THOUSAND MILES and NO WARRANTY for 13k$.

a classica with under 15,000 miles is probably worth 15-16k$, keep in mind any car you purchase basically loses 2,000$ in value immediately so dont think you can buy a 124 and sell it a month later for the same amount.

alot of people think car dealers are desperate to sell cars right now - they are NOT.
used car prices are dropping but new car prices are not.
why you ask?
because all the factories are CLOSED.
they are not making new cars, didnt you see the news where elon musk is fighting with the california government to reopen factories? Dealerships are actually wanting new car stock, they are not in a rush to get rid of inventory right now.

if you can afford a 250$ car payment waiting till winter is silly.
Summer is the time to enjoy this car. You might want to wait till june or july to buy one though. car prices are going to fluctuate and if another panic occurs and states close a second time, then car prices will probably drop a lot, in my opinion.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Winter is a good time to buy a convertible. I bought my fully equipped Prima Edizione Lusso with 12k miles for the asking price of that used classica on January 2019. You are buying a toy car in a market where nobody is buying cars.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Potatochobbit is either a dealer, on something or deluded..........,.The markets have collapsed, nobody is buying in numbers so manufacturers have ceased production as they have hundreds of thousands of vehicles sat on disused airfields with grass growing under them, on dockland with sea air eating away at them, and,,,Covid-19. The USA alone has some 20 Million plus folk on benefits......people selling off assets to survive, as we have in Europe........
These "silly kids" above, most of us aged 60 years plus and very experienced, know what we are talking about, don't be taken in, NOW is a great time to grab a bargain...we are getting reports from USA Members regularly stating as "APEX" above how they achieved the best deal possible...be Bold and WIN !

·
Registered
749 Posts
An open forum is not the best place to seek price advise; you will get tons of impossible low balls. Best thing to do is check cargurus.com, kbb.com, auto trader and cars.com to figure out what the going price for a used Spider is.

The lockdown is going to lower the price on run-of-the-mill vehicles, but Spiders are niche and inventories are now drying up fast, so prices are unlikely to be affected much.

Sounds like you are in a tight budget. My brother in Canada was looking at used Spiders but he couldn’t find anything under US$18,000. He is now looking at NC MX-5: there are plenty with low miles in the $10,000 to $12,000 range. Some connoisseurs consider NC the best Miata. Either way, that’s a hell of a value for what is a solid, reliable, fun little roadster. Perhaps you should take a look at those as well.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
An open forum is not the place to seek price advise; you will get tons impossible low balls. Best thing to do is check cargurus.com, kbb.com, auto trader and cars.com to figure out what the going price for a used Spider is.

The lockdown is going to lower the price on run-of-the-mill vehicles, but Spiders are niche and inventories are now drying up fast, so prices are unlikely to be affected much.

Sounds like you are in a tight budget. My brother in Canada was looking at used Spiders but he couldn’t find anything under US$18,000. He is now looking at NC MX-5: there are tons with low miles in the $10,000 to $12,000 range. That’s a hell of a value for what is a solid, reliable, fun little roadster. Perhaps you should take a look at those as well.

Good luck.
Yes, had forgotten that....When I found my Spider i was rejecting the ND MX5, ugly frog model...they had an NC in and I would have tested that having enjoyed 5 yrs of NB ownership but....PURPLE !

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yes, had forgotten that....When I found my Spider i was rejecting the ND MX5, ugly frog model...they had an NC in and I would have tested that having enjoyed 5 yrs of NB ownership but....PURPLE !
Me too. I eyed the NC for years. I really liked it: it was clean, fun, affordable. But never quite pulled the trigger. When ND came out I was like meh. Then Spider came out: it was love at first sight. It took one test drive to convince me I must have it. Glad I pulled the trigger this time.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Me too. I eyed the NC for years. I really liked it: it was clean, fun, affordable. But never quite pulled the trigger. When ND came out I was like meh. Then Spider came out: it was love at first sight. It took one test drive to convince me I must have it. Glad I pulled the trigger this time.
I was drooling the minute I saw mine, and in RED....The rest was formality really.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was going to point a few things out about this post, but it seems the OP has been Banned? It says he joined 5 days ago. Being banned that quickly must be some kind of record, even with guys like He Who Shall Not Be Named around :) DFDD

Also, there is a white Classica in my neighborhood for sale by owner. I do not know tranny or options, but have driven past it lots and it looks clean. If anyone following this post wants me to grab the guy's number off the for sale sign in the window and eyeball it a little closer, I would be happy to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here and I've been looking to buy a Miata or 124 spider. I found this 2017 bronze Classica in excellent condition with just 3600 miles on it. They are listing it at $18400 and $20900 out the door. I might be able to haggle down to $19500 out the door. I need help deciding if it's worth it at that price?

I see a new 2019 white Classica with the 7" infotainment screen and backup camera listed nearby for $20300, so out the door probably $22300. What should I do?
I just purchase a 2019 Abarth, fully loaded for $23,000, sticker was $38,000. So shop around to find the best deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Last December I bought a new 2018 Lusso with all available options (sticker $33.5K) for $21.5K (not including T.T.T.) and still think I didn't get a great deal (but a good one). You can get that used Classica for less, I'd think.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts