Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never noticed the discoloring on the hood heat shield before. It feels like oil, but no where else in the engine bay. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
That’s coming from your vented blow off plate.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info—should I be worried? Do I need to take action?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
It’s typical for oil from the PCV to get into the turbo. A catch can will reduce it.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
@sharkcohen is dead on. I would not be concerned unless you are seeing above normal oil usage. All turbo cars do this to some extent. I just changed my oil and when I pulled my V4 off I had just a very small amount of oil sitting in the turbo inlet but the blades looked clean. Oil filter did not have a drop in it. Catch can had just a bit in it from 3000 miles of use. Unfortunately for you, your blow off valve is "sneezing" that small amount of oil out into your engine compartment. No biggie. Just unsightly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
@92sundevil EC catchcan works great. It's what I run on mine and I think most of us here. It will help mitigate a lot of it. Turbo motors are especially notorious for putting oil back into the intake track because of positive crankcase ventilation pressure. Even nonturbo motors do this so it's completely normal (i.e. naturally aspirated motorcycles are a good example).

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@92sundevil EC catchcan works great. It's what I run on mine and I think most of us here. It will help mitigate a lot of it. Turbo motors are especially notorious for putting oil back into the intake track because of positive crankcase ventilation pressure. Even nonturbo motors do this so it's completely normal (i.e. naturally aspirated motorcycles are a good example).
Really appreciate the feedback. Catch an is next mod. Reading up on them now. Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts