Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I finally got around to installing the Megan Shock Tower Brace. No matter what i tried, the bar would only sit flush on 3 of the 4 mounting points, not all 4. Specifically it would float a few mm over the driver side cowl mount. In the end I had to fit 2 washers under the bar as a spacer only on the driver's side to get it to sit flush on all 4 attachment points and torqued everything down to spec (see pics).
The end result is that the bar is not perfectly level although really not off by much and would have been off by a whole lot more had I not used the extra washers and just forced it down (assuming it could take that much bending - i did not try).
View attachment 73015 View attachment 73016
Seems to me the megan bar is not exactly "true" and looks as though one side of those joints was welded higher than the other (at least the one they sent me).
It has been months since i purchased it and have paid hefty customs so returning it is not an option.

Although car drives great (200 miles since install) and I could not be happier with the incredible improvement it made...
I am worried that under continuous or extreme stress the bolt from the cowl mount may snap/sheer due to this because the forces are not going to the very bottom of that bolt but a few mm higher. Also worried this could cause alignment issues.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Did you install the bolts one by one or have all bolts inserted but sitting loose, then torque them down at the end? The latter method should help with fitment. I don’t believe these bars are under that much stress, the shock towers themselves flex only a mm or two under load. These just help reduce the stress on the chassis a little.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went about it progressively. But even before tightening a single bolt it would just dance on that 3rd attachment point. It was obvious that it was either gonna be washers or break the bolt it attaches to by tightening it down and forcing it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've had minor fitment issues too with my Megan strut bar, but I simply torqued the bolts down and forced the attachments into place. Been on 3 trackdays with them so far and nothing's broken yet. Honestly I don't think the bar is under much stress. The chassis is under way more load during hard cornering.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just installed mine today and everything sits flush. However there's a bolt that is rubbing against the coolant reservoir. I'm thinking that will eventually put a hole in my reservoir. Anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just installed mine today and everything sits flush. However there's a bolt that is rubbing against the coolant reservoir. I'm thinking that will eventually put a hole in my reservoir. Anyone else experienced this?
Flip the bolt around to see if it gives you the clearance you need. If not, maybe put a piece of thin steel plate in between the reservoir and the bolt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Flip the bolt around to see if it gives you the clearance you need. If not, maybe put a piece of thin steel plate in between the reservoir and the bolt.
Thanks Walawn. I did try flipping the bolt but the same. I'm going to try to find a new bolt with a more shallow head. If such bolt exists.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Walawn. I did try flipping the bolt but the same. I'm going to try to find a new bolt with a more shallow head. If such bolt exists.
Take the bolt to a hardware store, Lowes, or Home Depot. You can match the thread and diameter, just with a shorter bolt. You may want to change the nut too at this point. I'm sure it'll work out for you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Failing that, use a die grinder or file to elongate the mounting holes for the plastic coolant reservoir. Should allow you to move the reservoir enough to get a gap and eliminate the rubbing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Finally got around to working on a solution. Was able to find a more shallow head bolt from the limited stock at Home Depot. The bolts in stock were either a bit short or longer. So went with the M10-1.5 x75mm. 80mm would be prefect length. Anyways problem solved for now. But had to leave out the washers. I will go to a fastener specialty store to see if I can find something else that will work better.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Finally got around to working on a solution. Was able to find a more shallow head bolt from the limited stock at Home Depot. The bolts in stock were either a bit short or longer. So went with the M10-1.5 x75mm. 80mm would be prefect length. Anyways problem solved for now. But had to leave out the washers. I will go to a fastener specialty store to see if I can find something else that will work better.
Glad it worked out for you. You might be able to combine several solutions to get the clearance you need. Keep us posted on your final solution.

·
Registered
103 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts