Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a few errands today with my Spider incorporated with my pleasure drive. First stop was at a strip mall. I parked far away from the masses as I always do with both of my cars. There was row upon row of empty spaces. When I came out of the store there was a travel trailer parked next to me with nothing else around. Next stop was at a grocery store, again parked way out of harms way. When I returned, poor Bella was sandwiched between a large box type delivery truck on one side and a rusted out hulk of a pickup truck on the other side. Lucky for me there was no door banging in either case. WHY I ask myself? I would expect someone that was a car enthusiast to park next to me, but not what I experienced today!

On another note. Be careful on the roads this weekend as Labor Day revelers will be out there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My car is a magnet for door dings. The cars come and go before I return. I've got 6 dings on the driver side, 4 of which took the paint off, and 2 on the passenger side.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've had pretty good luck parking fairly remotely where nobody comes up and parks next to me. My new-to-me car came to me with a ding on the driver's door and driver's door handle. Since I bought it two months ago, no new door dings.

If the parking lot is huge with a very large number of empty spaces, I have no qualms parking in the center of two rows, straddling four spots. I've also found that if you find out where the employees park, there is much less coming-and-going; if you park in that area with no one next to you, chances are it will be safe that way until shift change.

Last night we stayed in a Hilton Tru. I parked in an empty area on the end of the building with no key card re-entry. Quite inconvenient, because you had to go all the way around the building to find an entrance. This morning I go out there and find a SUV on one side of me and a one-ton pickup on the other side. Plenty of other empty spaces around...WTH? Luckily no damage but jeesh!

You cant park way out in the parking lot. The key is to park 4 spaces away from the nearest car between the two entry/exits.
Can you elaborate? Are you talking about parking midway between store entrances so you are the farthest away from either one?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Most stores in the Midwest have an entry/exit at either end of the grocery/big box store. So park in the middle, basically away from the nearest way in/out. Basically where most people in a hurry dont want to park.

If you park too far out in the lot, you get where the big pickups and school busses park.

And always park INTO the wind, to avoid the wind catching door swing.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good tips - thanks! (y)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I get the same. Even when parking say 1/4 away from the exit and far enough from the entrance into the empty area, I have come back to someone parking right next to me. In those situations there were plenty of closer and farther spaces. It’s obvious those drivers wanted to get closer looks

·
Registered
765 Posts
I get the same. Even when parking say 1/4 away from the exit and far enough from the entrance into the empty area, I have come back to someone parking right next to me. In those situations there were plenty of closer and farther spaces. It’s obvious those drivers wanted to get closer looks
I mentioned this phenomenon to a co-worker once...about how I make a point to park far away from everyone but when I come out some beater is parked next to me. He told me he does this all the time, and by that I mean he’s the one with the beater. He says that it annoys him when he sees a car parked far away as if their car is special, so he parks his crappy rusted Subaru with the cracked windshield right next to them just to be a dick. He thinks it’s funny. So they may not be ogling your car so much as just messing with you.

Personally, I don’t get much interest in mine around here. I’ve had it since Dec ‘17 and probably only had 2 or 3 strangers even acknowledge it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
On our recent two-day getaway, the car attracted attention almost everywhere we went. The most fun happened at one of the Kentucky Bourbon distilleries. We came back to the car to find it surrounded by a group of people. I was wondering what they were doing. Turned out they were all in a Mazda club. A woman said “Beautiful car. It’s made on the same production line in Hiroshima as the Miata. Hope you don’t mind but we all call it a Fiata!”

·
Registered
189 Posts
You have to hit that sweet spot of not too close for cars to park next to you, but not too far away that some think that you are a mr. big shot dont park next to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I mentioned this phenomenon to a co-worker once...about how I make a point to park far away from everyone but when I come out some beater is parked next to me. He told me he does this all the time, and by that I mean he’s the one with the beater. He says that it annoys him when he sees a car parked far away as if their car is special, so he parks his crappy rusted Subaru with the cracked windshield right next to them just to be a dick. He thinks it’s funny. So they may not be ogling your car so much as just messing with you.

Personally, I don’t get much interest in mine around here. I’ve had it since Dec ‘17 and probably only had 2 or 3 strangers even acknowledge it.
Your coworker has an interesting yet shortsighted way of interpreting things. I personally park away from the front because I don’t have a ton of cash, and whether it’s a new car or an old one with a new paint job, or just a really nice wax, I try and stay away from traffic, kids or any potential for extra expenses. So the clowns are not proving anything to me except they have to walk the extra distance I always prepare to walk. Bonus points if they do this with family in tow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2019 red Fiat Spider. I'm lucky with parking in that I have a handicap plate. My hubby and I won't park her anywhere if there are no handicap spots. Just love her!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I get a lot of comments as well. People are not sure what it is especially since mine says Abarth all over it. They think that is the manufacturer!!

As for parking, my wife and I always look to get an end spot as far from the store as possible where only one side can have a car next to it. I then park as far over in the spot away from another car so their door can't reach mine. Worked so far!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
...always look to get an end spot as far from the store as possible where only one side can have a car next to it. I then park as far over in the spot away from another car so their door can't reach mine. Worked so far!!
Yes! I do this especially when you can't park far away. My driver's door had a couple nicks when it came to me, so that is now the official "battlefront" side.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I park only a couple spots away, makes it look like I parked near people, but they left. Avoids the he thinks he’s better look.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Around here I don't think we have such a prevalence of spiteful resentment towards somebody with a nice car. Most people around here don't think, "What a jerk! Who does he think he is? What makes him so special?"

If they even notice the car, they more likely think, "What a cool car! Man, I'd like to have a car like that someday. And when I do, I'm going to park it out away from the crowd so nobody dings it."

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The only true magnet my car has is the one for flying crushed granite rock! Have quite a few pock marks all over the windshield, one nice star chip that has been repaired, and a couple of dings on the wrap on the nose.

·
Registered
335 Posts
^ Yikes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran a few errands today with my Spider incorporated with my pleasure drive. First stop was at a strip mall. I parked far away from the masses as I always do with both of my cars. There was row upon row of empty spaces. When I came out of the store there was a travel trailer parked next to me with nothing else around. Next stop was at a grocery store, again parked way out of harms way. When I returned, poor Bella was sandwiched between a large box type delivery truck on one side and a rusted out hulk of a pickup truck on the other side. Lucky for me there was no door banging in either case. WHY I ask myself? I would expect someone that was a car enthusiast to park next to me, but not what I experienced today!

On another note. Be careful on the roads this weekend as Labor Day revelers will be out there.
We park "Baby" in a handicap spot since we both have problems. And yes we are legally allowed to use such spots. Have the plates and placard for such. I like these spots since they are bigger than the rest. If there are no handicap spots, we don't go in the stores...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts