Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s a convertible – Stupid

Recently on the local 124 FB page a few of us mentioned that we have not actually driven with the top up !! Makes sense – ya but a convertible and ya gonna use it !!! In the past week I have done a few drives just cruising along, looking cool and all. Now this being my first convertible I am very conscience of other convertibles on the road and here’s the thing……….I rarely see one with its top down.

On my last drive I noted one Boxster, 3 BMW 3 series, 2 MX5’s and a Merc. There is an Audi A3 convertible that lives around the corner from me for at lest 3 years and I see it often and not once can I recall it have its top down

Why ?? Seriously, what’s the point of buying a convertible ??

BTW - this gorgeous old Merc was the only other open top I encountered on that drive ......lovely colour

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I owned two sports car in my life, a corvette C7, and Fiat 124

Unfortunately for me, C7 was a targa and 124 was a softtop.

I would go with the Coupe version if there was one for the 124.

When I had the C7 in California, I rarely take the targa top out because of the sun, I really just took it off around beaches which is like 30-40min away.

But what can I say, I really liked the 124.

Sometimes I do like the top down, but not much. It takes room, it is heavier, less practical, less safety, weaker structure, more noise.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have owned quite a few ragtops.. 2 boxsters, an alfa spider, a miata and my 124. generally when driving during the day, I find it gets too hot or the sun is too bright for riding around with the top down, so I regularly drive with the top up during the day. at night, I tend to drive with the top down much more often. the cooler air without needing to squint because of the sun blinding me causing headaches is much better. another factor to consider is some use their cars as daily drivers and may need to be a bit more presentable when they arrive at work, sometimes the windblown look is frowned upon for some professions.

·
Registered
296 Posts
top down for me. I don't like driving unless its down, to be honest.

it was beautiful here yesterday . 80f/27c, low humidity.. sunny, low cloud volume

I saw at least 3 other convertibles. all with the top up.
If your top wasn't down yesterday, then I don't know when would be a better time.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Since it's my summer car, well the top is almost always down.
I have a cap, and it's almost on my head for the sun and when little chilly.
The other day a little cool, was going for a ride with a friend that doesn't like to wear a hat or cap not to mess his hair. Well, I had put the top up due it was a little cool for his head.

So check those you mentioned more likely they have lots of hair.>:)

that's why the top is up. Also top down, keeps focused on the road cause I don't fall asleep on the wheel compared when I put the top up. Maybe I get more oxygen to my brain:)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I too have pondered why people would not have top down in a convertible. I can certainly understand in southern state skipping the scorching sun. And my work wife (beetle convertible) complains about hair being windblown. I told her she needs to wear her hair in a pony tail instead of wasting all that time with blow dryers and curling irons. i then bought her a silk scarf and told her to wrap up like Audrey Hepburn, that just got me a look.

·
Registered
676 Posts
For me it is a fun car and not my primary. Top is down unless it rains or the heat is just to much on 90 plus days. Otherwise I drive my boring SUV. I have noticed the same thing no matter the weather, weekends, etc. very few people use their convertible. The exception being Miata owners, they typically have theirs down and wave at me.

Maybe some people like the idea of a convertible but don't really embrace it.

I don't know, I hate driving my car top up. Then again I barely fit top up and have maybe 1/2 clearance at best making it feel very cramped.

Reactions: canesice

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like to have the top down on cars like this but at the same time I also want to see an aftermarket company come out with a hardtop, its something i might consider since it can help the 124's design.

Spoon Sports is a great example of this:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I drive it with the top down roughly 50% of the time, and I use it as my daily driver of about 110 miles a day. In the morning I am off to work before the sun comes up so I'll put it down as long as it's not too cold for my Texas born and raised body. I have some luscious curly long red locks that don't play well with the wind, thankfully I can get away with tying it back and wearing a hat since I work in a crude oil terminal at the moment. In the afternoon I keep it up until I get off the toll-way because in my hour commute to the gym I actually can get pretty sun burned, the downfall of the red hair... But then I keep it down when I leave the gym after dark.

For me the big limiting factor with the top is not that it is particularly hot, but that I burn pretty easily. This is something I didn't even think about when I decided I wanted the car but I regret nothing, haha.

Reactions: Seagas

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had a CJ7, a Saab and now the Fiat for convertibles. As long as it is 45/50+ degrees and not raining the top is down. Isn't that what the heated seats are for, to keep you warm when the top is down? In the summer it has to be real hot for me not to put the top down. The Fiat's compartment does hold the A/C better than my Saab did.

Around here in CT I see a lot of Porsches with the tops down, but not to many BMWs or Audis.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I rarely ride with the top down during daylight hours here in sunny SW Florida. After surviving several serious encounters with cancer it's the right thing for me to do...... even though I drive a convertible. I also enjoy my tunes and audio in any open convert just plan sux.

Because someone has a life style different from you doesn't make them stupid, it simply means they're, well.... different.

Paul

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Hat...Check, Hat for passenger...check...sunscreen...check...wipes to remove sunscreen from my hands...check.

Top down 80% of the time. Its a feature that I choose to use...often. Like using the AC on fresh air instead of recirculate when the top is down. Lol..isn't it the same thing? HA!

I agree with OP...

being in Hawaii most of the drop tops I see... rarely have the tops down. strange.

aloha

Reactions: Seagas and sdlynx

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
If the sun is high I don't put the top down. It was a nice overcast day this morning, so I drove in to work with it down.

Reactions: sdlynx

·
Registered
204 Posts
If its not raining, snowing or below 50 or so out my top is down. I see the same thing constantly, as beautiful weather as you could ask for and folks with the top up. Why have a vert if you dont use it?

·
Registered
894 Posts
i live in el paso and drive into juarez mexico every day. When i drive to work, top is down a lot. when i drive home, it's 95 to 100 and it's up. but fall is coming...

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
There are plenty of other reasons for having this car than the convertible top.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Different climates, different people, different road conditions, different choices. Had to drive my 124 on Tuesday for it's first service with the top up - first time and only second time in the rain and it felt like a different car- but I can choose when I drive it. In the late 70's early 80's I had to drive my Frogeye ( bugeye) every day for 7 years. It was a 20 miles journey over the moors with the last 3 miles in town traffic. As long as I did 25mph I didn't get wet - it was quite easy apart from one set of lights. Over the 7 years I had the hood(top) up less than 10 times. The most notible was in a snow storm returning home - top up when I left work but didn't bother with the side screens - no wind-up windows. Had to stop at the lights and a great big truck ( big for the UK) came thundering past and squirted slush right into the car and my face. Never put the top up again on principal. Could I do the same journey today in the 124 without the roof up, and every day for 7 years - no - the inside / all the electronic extras wouldn't stand the abuse, even if I could.
Moral of the story - enjoy your car for what you want it for not what other expect you to do.
Danny

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It's a convertible. Top down unless with girlfriend,wife, rain or snow. Sorry guys, that is why you buy a convertible sports car. Otherwise, get a corvette. They never have there top down.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts