Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's here! Pictures tomorrow as time permits, install Monday is the plan!

Big thanks to Bryan at NGEN for fast shipment and a gorgeous looking upgraded turbo!

We autocross a lot so we are going with a stock housing stuffed turbo for best response in the tight confines of a typical autocross course. Excited to get it in our Fiat 124 and do some driving!

Box includes:

NGEN 6 fin Turbo
Turbo Install Kit
New Oil Lines
Ported Exhaust Manifold

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
So it is stuffed, not bigger, right?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts

Big thanks to Bryan at NGEN for fast shipment and a gorgeous looking upgraded turbo!

We autocross a lot so we are going with a stock housing stuffed turbo for best response in the tight confines of a typical autocross course. Excited to get it in our Fiat 124 and do some driving!

Box includes:

NGEN 6 fin Turbo
Turbo Install Kit
New Oil Lines
Ported Exhaust Manifold
The big question is whose tune will you use? So far, no off-the-shelf tune seems to be taking advantage of a bigger turbo. Only those cars that have been dyno tuned are getting significantly better power.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The big question is whose tune will you use? So far, no off-the-shelf tune seems to be taking advantage of a bigger turbo. Only those cars that have been dyno tuned are getting significantly better power.
In the NGEN site Eurocompulsion is listed as brands they work with. Not Madness or Tork.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
:ROFLMAO: Captain obvious summed up my thoughts perfectly.

I know Brian has been tinkering with Tork and with E85. For my own selfish reasons I hope this means tuning a fast spooling turbo with Tork because it’s the setup I would want.
I honestly hope they can get Tork to provide something for it and optimized well for those of you that have chose that route. I do echo the sentiment that it would still take actual car dyno time with the tuner to get it perfect for that particular car to get the max out. It doesn't matter who it is, it cannot be done with an off the shelf version and email in any reasonable time or accuracy. I just went through it in June. 185HP first pull to ~240HP after 15 hrs of dyno/tune time. I also understand that not everyone will get that opportunity personally. BUT... if GoodWin can do what I did with Tork, it can be much closer for everyone else than just a guess at unfamiliar mods would provide.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I honestly hope they can get Tork to provide something for it and optimized well for those of you that have chose that route. I do echo the sentiment that it would still take actual car dyno time with the tuner to get it perfect for that particular car to get the max out. It doesn't matter who it is, it cannot be done with an off the shelf version and email in any reasonable time or accuracy. I just went through it in June. 185HP first pull to ~240HP after 15 hrs of dyno/tune time. I also understand that not everyone will get that opportunity personally. BUT... if GoodWin can do what I did with Tork, it can be much closer for everyone else than just a guess at unfamiliar mods would provide.
It is possible, the car runs closed loop on everything and you can verify performance on the drag strip (better if you’re a veteran) or the dyno. Boost, afr, timing and torque are all closed loop on these cars and that’s how I’ve been remotely tuning some open flash cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Box includes:

NGEN 6 fin Turbo
Turbo Install Kit
New Oil Lines
Ported Exhaust Manifold
Yes, keep us apprised. Bryan at NGEN CUSTOM AND PERFORMANCE is the best car guy I've ever worked with.

·
124 Spider Vendor
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to start install today!

Wow, until I held it in my hand today I really had no idea how small the exhaust manifold is, such a little thing! And because it is so small and cast, Bryan at NGEN strongly recommended we go with his ported and polished update. They did a really nice job, it's super clean and smooth in the replacement, and that will certainly help flow.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Going to start install today!

Wow, until I held it in my hand today I really had no idea how small the exhaust manifold is, such a little thing! And because it is so small and cast, Bryan at NGEN strongly recommended we go with his ported and polished update. They did a really nice job, it's super clean and smooth in the replacement, and that will certainly help flow.

Interesting. I didn't know a manifold from a 1.4 T-Jet would work but that's good to know. Looking forward to the finished product.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
That’s a factory 124 exhaust manifold ported and polished, then ceramic coated. It’s not from a t-jet.
That part number threw me off. It looks good.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Thank you! You threw me off for a minute thinking a T-jet Manifold was the same. Makes me wonder....
Well like Brian Goodwin, I've never held a 124 manifold (or T-Jet) in my hands so I was curious and googled the part number showing. Only references I got was to a T-Jet on some Polish sites. The FCA parts stores for the 124 didn't have that number and showed the 124 manifold as 68320854aa. So whatever that number is stamped on the side, it must not be a part number.

Like I said, your manifold looks very nicely done. What are the performance gains you have seen with it?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts