Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
You know what I find amazing is the power that this little engine is capable of delivering.
I'm sure everyone knows our engines are 1.4 liters or 1400 CC.
My brothers motorcycle, a Triumph Rocket, has 2,294cc.
The Triumph obviously accelerates faster than our cars but the top speed, 145 mph, is the same!
And we get two more wheels, two doors, stereo, air conditioning, a trunk, cup holders and last but not least, if we stop and don't put our feet down we don't fall over!
Way to go Fiat!

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
You know what I find amazing is the power that this little engine is capable of delivering.
I'm sure everyone knows our engines are 1.4 liters or 1400 CC.
My brothers motorcycle, a Triumph Rocket, has 2,294cc.
The Triumph obviously accelerates faster than our cars but the top speed, 145 mph, is the same!
And we get two more wheels, two doors, stereo, air conditioning, a trunk, cup holders and last but not least, if we stop and don't put our feet down we don't fall over!
Way to go Fiat!
agree....your last sentence reminded me of when I bought my first road bike...(I had been riding dirt bikes my whole life) while purchasing the bike a customer at the counter and the parts counter guy where congratulating me on my "first" bike...the customer looked at me and said don't forget to put your feet down when you stop..sarcastically, everyone laughing... of course with HIS truth coming out. I just laughed and said mahalo for the reminder and me well knowing, I had more hours on a motorcycle when I was 9 years old than he had his total combined riding during his lifetime.

btw..I've never forgotten to put my feet down.... WHO actually does that?

Sorry..hijacked.

GO BIG STUFFED TURBOS!!!!!!

lol

aloha mike

Reactions: depotdan

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
btw..I've never forgotten to put my feet down.... WHO actually does that?
Uhm - first time I rode a bicycle with clipless pedals. Might have forgotten to unclip until it was too late...

Reactions: depotdan and Mike34

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Uhm - first time I rode a bicycle with clipped pedals. Might have forgotten to unclip until it was too late...
Been there, done that. This is what happens when you switch clipless pedal brands on your mountain bike and on your first ride can't get your foot out when the guy in front of you suddenly stops and you go tumbling off the side of the trail about 30 feet down.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
@68wooley @Chainringtattoo

naaaa IMHO that's totally different...that's something new, impeding your foot movement...I'd venture to say that happens ONCE to everyone with the clipless pedals. till they get the hang of it.

BTW nice new shoes destroyed! Good thing you didn't break anything.

aloha mike

·
Banned
3,017 Posts
I love my car but it would be perfect with 20%.

20% more power, 20% more cabin space, 20% more storage (at least for one large suitcase, geez!), 20% better audio than the Bose, etc

It is good enough but I would be willing to pay 20% more for those features.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

20% more power, 20% more cabin space, 20% more storage (at least for one large suitcase, geez!), 20% better audio than the Bose, etc

Congratulations. You just bought yourself a 2019 Buick Cascada. And you don't even have to pay 20% more.

Reactions: Brett67 and Mike34

·
Registered
73 Posts

Every forum goer says that about every car they ever had even after they have modified it. Recognize the disease and that you are powerless.

Reactions: Brett67 and Mike34

·
Banned
3,017 Posts

·
Banned
3,017 Posts
The car is decently fast, but could use 30 more horsepower. Cabin is cramped and you hit your knees or uncomfortable passengers.

car is great and fun and lovable, but things can always be improved WITHOUT DRASTICALLY changing the concept. I believe this is possible, even if others with less imagination don’t.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
The car is decently fast, but could use 30 more horsepower. Cabin is cramped and you hit your knees or uncomfortable passengers.

car is great and fun and lovable, but things can always be improved WITHOUT DRASTICALLY changing the concept. I believe this is possible, even if others with less imagination don’t.
Next time you sit in your car , imagine your knees 3” lower. All the clearance you want with race seats . It’s really difficult for me to drive in a regular seat , feels like a different car when I’m in the classica.
And yes, I’m very well aware this is a stuffed turbo thread. I got excited thinking there is an update, and caught the off topic bug ?

·
Banned
3,017 Posts
Well OK. I imagine the dealer will let you pay 20% more for the Buick if you insist.
The Cascada weighs 4,000 pounds.

If the Abarth had the 4C’s 1.7L, a bit more space (could be just 15%) and weighed less than 2,650, it would be a rockstar.

but yes, I look forward to the progress of stuffed turbos, too bad there are still plenty of kinks to work out. But it will get there.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts

If the Abarth had the 4C’s 1.7L, a bit more space (could be just 15%) and weighed less than 2,650, it would be a rockstar.

but yes, I look forward to the progress of stuffed turbos, too bad there are still plenty of kinks to work out. But it will get there.
You have the sickness. There is no such thing as a perfect car. Look at the guys who buy Lambos or McClarens and decide they would be so much better with 1000 hp. You caught the bug much earlier in life than I did. I'm sure you'll own and build some very cool cars over the next few years. Unless you get married and have a bunch of kids. Then you wait until you're my age.

·
Registered
562 Posts

You just described a 4C. That didn’t work out very well for Alfa Romeo. Very few people bought one.

You should go check one out on the used market.

·
Registered
284 Posts

How about 50% more? List price ABARTH plus 50% would get you a Porsche Boxster and give you everything you want.
Or drop about 6K into the ABARTH and give the Boxster a run for its money with an extra 20 grand still in your pocket.
That's what this thread is about. Lets get back to stuffing a turbo!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Forget the boxter. Stuffed turbo and you are now playing with gt3s on a fast track too.

I’m excited to resurrect the car
Over the next few months. May try the 11 blade stuffed turbo along with piston, rod, cam and new built head. Will do a day or two more on the track worth the current set up and start making changes comparing different turbo options.

I do want to note that I am super happy with the way the car Performs now And a bit scared to push the envelope, but really want to see how fast I can make this little rocket go.

·
Banned
3,017 Posts
You just described a 4C. That didn’t work out very well for Alfa Romeo. Very few people bought one.

You should go check one out on the used market.
4c is auto only and I think even the 124 Spider has more space?

@Chainringtattoo I don’t have the bug, Just tested a Camaro SS and that’s fast enough (0-60 in 4 something seconds).
You don’t need more speed/power than that, such as the C8 Corvette.

but, the Vette looks great, is very comfortable in space and ride and sounds good. I look forward to the new flat plane crank z06 that goes all the way to 8,600rpm.

it will be too fast but then theres the zr1 and hybrid versions.

the supra is a good compromise but ugly and auto only.

porsche is great but expensive and cayman doesn’t sound good.
Im fine with 124 with a few upgrades, it makes for a pretty pure driving experience.

just have 2 cars! That’s the solution.

if i ever need a practical one for family and milage, the panamera ehybrid turismo will do that.

·
124 Spider Vendor
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Fun Autocross in the Fiat yesterday, stuffed turbo continues to be perfect for our mixed track and autocross use! Hard to argue with results, we were the fastest thing with doors at the Kickoff 2020 Season event, beat every Porsche, Corvette, Lotus, Miata, etc....despite 3 year old tires on the car which were the only tires I had handy at the last moment to toss on after the Miata I was going to run at the event had mechanical issue at the event.

The Winning Run!

I worked on the tune for a while, bought both Tork tune and Eurocompulsion, did logs back and forth with each vendor to refine the tune, ultimately Tork tune was the best so it stayed in the car (though the EC team was very easy to work with and I am sure more logs back and forth could have further refined that tune too). I was not too bummed when I had the mechanical on the Miata because I was itching to race the Fiat again with all the latest refinements, including new rear spoiler, which helped a lot. I have not updated the threads for this car in a while, here is what is on the car now, click the links for more details:

One of our Complete Exhaust Systems for Fiat 124 (Crosspipe, Resonated Midpipe, Muffler Delete).
Ohlins Coilovers
Karcepts front and Karcepts rear Sways
Wilwood Dynalite Front 12.19" Big Brake Brake Kit
OSGiken Superlock LSD for Fiat 124
Blackbird Rear Adjustable Spoiler (Prototype, cranked up to max AOA here for autocross)
APR front Splitter
LIGHT 17x9 Flow Formed Wheels with 245/40
Tork Tune (E85)
Stuffed Turbo from NGEN
Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve
RoadsterSport Ultra Light Battery MOUNTING KIT
Blackbird Fabworx ND RZ Roll Bar
RoadsterSport 4 Piece Complete Fiat 124 Underbody Ultralight Aluminum Brace Kit

That's mostly complete, a few other prototype bits on the car including cooling scoop for fins of the engine oil pan, big shift knob we are having fun with, and more. Full build thread in our home forum CLICK HERE. I am going to work on getting 17x10 under the stock fenders, custom offset with no more tire than we are doing now. We make a 17x10 for NC Miata racing which is 5x114, got the factory making me an undrilled set we can custom machine for offset and 4x100. Same 245/45 tire that is pretty fast on 17x9 as you see here will be at least another second faster spread on 17x10.

·
795 Posts

I think the size is perfect, the power is adequate for most and the storage space is fine for a car of this size. This is why SUvs are taking over the roads. At the risk of sounding like a generation x'er, this is the problem with millennials. They usually want more than they have at that moment.

If the Spider was bigger, it would be heavier, then the extra power that you want would be negated. Buy an Ecoboost Mustang convertible if you want this, not a bad car but not a nimble Spider either.

Just the rambling thoughts of a generation x Spider owner :)

You could always go for a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts