Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
795 Posts
Fun Autocross in the Fiat yesterday, stuffed turbo continues to be perfect for our mixed track and autocross use! Hard to argue with results, we were the fastest thing with doors at the Kickoff 2020 Season event, beat every Porsche, Corvette, Lotus, Miata, etc....despite 3 year old tires on the car which were the only tires I had handy at the last moment to toss on after the Miata I was going to run at the event had mechanical issue at the event.

The Winning Run!

I worked on the tune for a while, bought both Tork tune and Eurocompulsion, did logs back and forth with each vendor to refine the tune, ultimately Tork tune was the best so it stayed in the car (though the EC team was very easy to work with and I am sure more logs back and forth could have further refined that tune too). I was not too bummed when I had the mechanical on the Miata because I was itching to race the Fiat again with all the latest refinements, including new rear spoiler, which helped a lot. I have not updated the threads for this car in a while, here is what is on the car now, click the links for more details:

One of our Complete Exhaust Systems for Fiat 124 (Crosspipe, Resonated Midpipe, Muffler Delete).
Ohlins Coilovers
Karcepts front and Karcepts rear Sways
Wilwood Dynalite Front 12.19" Big Brake Brake Kit
OSGiken Superlock LSD for Fiat 124
Blackbird Rear Adjustable Spoiler (Prototype, cranked up to max AOA here for autocross)
APR front Splitter
LIGHT 17x9 Flow Formed Wheels with 245/40
Tork Tune (E85)
Stuffed Turbo from NGEN
Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve
RoadsterSport Ultra Light Battery MOUNTING KIT
Blackbird Fabworx ND RZ Roll Bar
RoadsterSport 4 Piece Complete Fiat 124 Underbody Ultralight Aluminum Brace Kit

That's mostly complete, a few other prototype bits on the car including cooling scoop for fins of the engine oil pan, big shift knob we are having fun with, and more. Full build thread in our home forum CLICK HERE. I am going to work on getting 17x10 under the stock fenders, custom offset with no more tire than we are doing now. We make a 17x10 for NC Miata racing which is 5x114, got the factory making me an undrilled set we can custom machine for offset and 4x100. Same 245/45 tire that is pretty fast on 17x9 as you see here will be at least another second faster spread on 17x10.

Thanks for the update on the Spider. I appreciate your methodical way of doing things and it helps the whole community.

·
Banned
3,017 Posts
I think the size is perfect, the power is adequate for most and the storage space is fine for a car of this size. This is why SUvs are taking over the roads. At the risk of sounding like a generation x'er, this is the problem with millennials. They usually want more than they have at that moment.

If the Spider was bigger, it would be heavier, then the extra power that you want would be negated. Buy an Ecoboost Mustang convertible if you want this, not a bad car but not a nimble Spider either.

Just the rambling thoughts of a generation x Spider owner :)

You could always go for a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet.
The GT86/FRS. It exists, no?

It only weighs 2,700 and has a lot more space.
I didn’t get it because it doesn’t have a great engine or a great sound, and the interior quality is crappy.

It is still very lightweight however, and a hell of a lot more practical. I’m a millennial, sure, but my imagination and car knowledge is not that limited.

If Toyota updates the GT86, that car will be a winner.
Use your imagination to come up with better things people, don’t give up with such defeatist thoughts such as “you can’t have it all”.

Because you indeed can, within reason. I just gave you an example. An updated, still lightweight, GT86. @Brett67

Has anyone here tested the new Supra? They say it feels light on its feet. Won’t be the same thing but the performance is on another level. But yeah, updated GT86!

·
Banned
3,017 Posts
I think the size is perfect, the power is adequate for most and the storage space is fine for a car of this size. This is why SUvs are taking over the roads. At the risk of sounding like a generation x'er, this is the problem with millennials. They usually want more than they have at that moment.

If the Spider was bigger, it would be heavier, then the extra power that you want would be negated. Buy an Ecoboost Mustang convertible if you want this, not a bad car but not a nimble Spider either.

Just the rambling thoughts of a generation x Spider owner :)

You could always go for a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet.
Ahem...

;) @Brett67 Plenty of room for improvement with 200 pounds!

But yes, our Spider is lighter at the end of the day and fun as hell...and THAT is what matters MOST. (And looks and sounds better too!)

Sorry to derail the thread but I think this is a pretty clear conclusion to that subtopic haha.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm not that far age wise from millenials, but I would love spider to be a bit smaller))) Every time I see some old sport cars/ sedans/ coupes - I see the right use of size and weight. Modern cars are too big and way too heavy, and with excessive amount of power sometimes. I had a loaner Jeep with some power, it accelerates, I think, better than fiat, but does it makes it sport car?
And I guess since driving experience in most of places around the world become too casual, not many people care about how car drives and feels. Not even saying about look of modern car. How that blent grey mass of crossovers/minivans could be something what can make kids excited about cars and grow up in cars interested adults?
I trying my best with my cars)) So far kinda works)) Even older one likes lifted trucks, at least younger one loved alfa and loves abarth))

·
Registered
303 Posts
You have the sickness. There is no such thing as a perfect car. Look at the guys who buy Lambos or McClarens and decide they would be so much better with 1000 hp. You caught the bug much earlier in life than I did. I'm sure you'll own and build some very cool cars over the next few years. Unless you get married and have a bunch of kids. Then you wait until you're my age.
Wisdom alert. Time to listen young'uns.

·
Banned
3,017 Posts
Reactions: doverosx

·
795 Posts
I se
The GT86/FRS. It exists, no?

It only weighs 2,700 and has a lot more space.
I didn’t get it because it doesn’t have a great engine or a great sound, and the interior quality is crappy.

It is still very lightweight however, and a hell of a lot more practical. I’m a millennial, sure, but my imagination and car knowledge is not that limited.

If Toyota updates the GT86, that car will be a winner.
Use your imagination to come up with better things people, don’t give up with such defeatist thoughts such as “you can’t have it all”.

Because you indeed can, within reason. I just gave you an example. An updated, still lightweight, GT86. @Brett67

Has anyone here tested the new Supra? They say it feels light on its feet. Won’t be the same thing but the performance is on another level. But yeah, updated GT86!
I see your point but to compare a hardtop to a convertible is not really apples to apples. The Spider is still lighter than the GT86. Those are fun cars and not bad options for good handling. No top-down motoring though.

The Supra, yeah, nice car but again, twice the price of a Spider so not apples to apples and not a convertible.
Great car though. I didn't care for them at all until I saw one in the flesh, much nicer.

Reactions: MiniDreamCar
101 - 110 of 110 Posts