Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else getting unsolicited comments/compliments? Drove the new Lusso (grey, tan interior) first time today, top down (of course). No 3 miles from home, stopped as red light, a Jeep SUV with stranger driving pulls up next to me.

Jeep Driver: that looks like total fun to drive
me (looking for volume control to turn down radio, instinctively reached for location where family SUV has volume): I picked it up just last night, still learning it
Jeep Driver: that's a beautiful car
me (now that I have the volume down =): thank you sir.

On we went our separate ways once the light turned. I was somewhat floored, yes of course I think she is a beauty, but to get this kind of response from strangers? Anybody else have similar experiences to share?

Cheers, S

·
Registered
96 Posts
Put my first tank of gas in mine yesterday at Costco. In Oregon, we don't pump our own gas. Attendant said, "This is the first one of these I've seen. Really nice looking car!"

·
Registered
96 Posts
Honda driver: what kind of car is that?
Me: it's a Fiat
Honda driver: I love how the (traffic noises) tail and (noises) badge on the wheels (traffic noises)
Me: (nods hoping he wasn't expecting a reply)
… (a little later, pulls up near me again in traffic)
Honda driver: (points at his car) it's a Honda in case you were wondering.

Truck driver: Nice Miata!
Truck driver: Yeah I know just giving you a hard time.

Parking attendant: that's a nice car. What is it?
PA: is that Filipino?
Me: it's Italian
PA: nice car (to nearby construction worker) isn't that a nice car?
Me: they're not that expensive, you should get one
PA: I have a Porsche Carrera

·
Registered
104 Posts
Had a couple of similar experiences. First time in the neighborhood a small group of boys and girls chatting in the park, when the boys saw the car, left the girls and came over for a closer look, "Sweet Ride." Second experience was driving down the highway when a BMW pulled along side in the adjacent lane, gave a friendly honk and a big thumbs up through the open sun roof.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got it last weekend. I ended up getting it from a dealer in KY. White classica; manual w/ tech package. You?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Took it into a Mazda dealership to pick up some wheel lock nuts. The GM, the entire sales team, as well as a mechanic, service advisor, and parts interpreter came out to have a look. It was the first one they'd seen. The GM didn't seem very pleased I was there, nor with his team's response; they all spoke so glowingly of it in comparison to the MX-5!

The mechanic said there was no way he'd buy an MX-5, but he'd love one of these! I'm thinking he's going to get a "please explain" for that one judging from the look on the GM's face... >:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just about every where I have parked I come back to my car to find someone standing beside it admiring it. They love it but never know exactly what it is. And I seem to have the same conversation again and again. I love it!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Picked mine up Friday, drove up to Orlando today to see my son. Pulled in to the restaurant and before I could get out of the car some guy was standing there to ask me all these questions. After talking to him, we went in to eat and while we were eating he was out there taking pictures of the car.

Ironically on the drive we saw 3 Mazda MX5's but no Fiat124s!!

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I'm in invisible in my MX5 RF (and there are minuscule numbers of them around). People point when I'm driving the Abarth.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Took it into a Mazda dealership to pick up some wheel lock nuts. The GM, the entire sales team, as well as a mechanic, service advisor, and parts interpreter came out to have a look. It was the first one they'd seen. The GM didn't seem very pleased I was there, nor with his team's response; they all spoke so glowingly of it in comparison to the MX-5!

The mechanic said there was no way he'd buy an MX-5, but he'd love one of these! I'm thinking he's going to get a "please explain" for that one judging from the look on the GM's face... >:)
Had the Abarth parked in the Mazda dealers car park whilst I was signing the contract on the RF the weekend before last. The staff there were having a good look at it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It's like driving a rock star. A girl driving a Mini went Beatles crazy over it on Pacific Coast Highway yesterday and had her boyfriend hanging out the window doing a video with his iPhone as I cruised down the road. I'm frequently asked to roll my window down at stop lights to explain what I'm driving. My Corvette was largely ignored compared to this car. I originally thought it would be mistaken for a Miata, but it isn't.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I park outside a restaurant and from a window table I see a crowd gather. I've discovered iPhone photographers catching every angle when it's parked and I've been gone. Oncoming motorcyclists and a Jaguar XJ driver give me the thumbs up. The old ladies (hear me talkin'?) who walk the neighborhood give thumbs up when its in the driveway. "I had a 914 when I got out of the service," says a fellow with a big smile at the marina who thinks its a Porsche because of the the Abarth badge. Passengers in passing cars hang out the window to rubberneck. It is an eye-catcher wherever I go!

·
Registered
727 Posts
"....Oncoming motorcyclists and a Jaguar XJ driver give me the thumbs up..."
Yeah, what's with the motorcyclists? I'm getting frequent thumbs up from them as well. Maybe the 124 is some sort of crossover and we just don't know it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, what's with the motorcyclists?
I think partly it's the open air. The gestures come more frequently when the top is down. And maybe attitude - look at how many sport bikers there are on this forum. And Guzzi enthusiasts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah, what's with the motorcyclists? I'm getting frequent thumbs up from them as well. Maybe the 124 is some sort of crossover and we just don't know it.
Last fall, I parked the 124 next to an old church along a scenic byway near where I live to light up a cigar and enjoy the late afternoon sun. The route is a favorite by myself and others on motorcycles. Of the ones that passed while I hung out there on the front steps, about half of them waved but all of them turned their heads to (I'm guessing) admire the car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts