Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Spider to a very large Cars and Coffee event this morning. I stood back and watched people look at the car, notice the Fiat emblem, turn to one another with a puzzled look, check out the interior, then look confused as they walk around the back and see the Fiat 124 emblem.

Not one person at the event who stopped to look at the car had seen one before. In our discussions, they loved the car's styling and were impressed with it. Hellooooo - FIAT - If you get the car out in the public, people love them. That can easily convert to increasing sales.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Imagine the amount of looks an Abarth with LEDs gets. At least most people have heard of Fiat.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Imagine the amount of looks an Abarth with LEDs gets. At least most people have heard of Fiat.
Mine doesn't get much attention...well, none anymore...but when it was new I had a couple of people ask what it was. When I told them it was a Fiat they were obviously disappointed. As if I'd let them down or something.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to drive a Maserati Granturismo. My 124 Abarth gets as much or more attention and questions. People are constantly asking me what kind of car it is. It doesn't say "FIAT" anywhere on the outside, all the badges say "ABARTH", and I'm pretty sure the general public has no idea what Abarth means...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Mine doesn't get much attention...well, none anymore...but when it was new I had a couple of people ask what it was. When I told them it was a Fiat they were obviously disappointed. As if I'd let them down or something.
I don’t like Fiat. As a brand, and their other products. It’s like an Italian Mitsubishi and the 124 is the Evo, LOL.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I used to drive a Maserati Granturismo. My 124 Abarth gets as much or more attention and questions. People are constantly asking me what kind of car it is. It doesn't say "FIAT" anywhere on the outside, all the badges say "ABARTH", and I'm pretty sure the general public has no idea what Abarth means...
how was the transmission and reliability? Love that car

·
Registered
24 Posts
I loved my Granturismo. I had it for 6 and a half years and 35k miles. It was extremely reliable. Other than tires (often), a battery and annual services (which were not cheap), I only had one repair - which took less than 20 minutes and was covered under warranty - the exhaust has a vacuum powered valve that changes the tone (quiet vs. loud). The vacuum hose came loose and needed to be reattached. That was it. The transmission was a ZF six speed auto that was very reliable. There were some issues with the F1 cars (auto-manual), but the ZF is bulletproof. I would never have sold it, but our family situation changed and we moved to a very rural area with a 3/10 of a mile unpaved driveway that was not "Maserati" friendly. I sold it to a guy in Charlotte and I used the proceeds to buy a RAM 4x4 truck!

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
I took my Spider to a very large Cars and Coffee event this morning. I stood back and watched people look at the car, notice the Fiat emblem, turn to one another with a puzzled look, check out the interior, then look confused as they walk around the back and see the Fiat 124 emblem.

Not one person at the event who stopped to look at the car had seen one before. In our discussions, they loved the car's styling and were impressed with it. Hellooooo - FIAT - If you get the car out in the public, people love them. That can easily convert to increasing sales. View attachment 74098
I recognize that temporary style plate - what part of California are you in and which cars and coffee were you at? I'm in Santa Clara and have a white 2018 Lusso.

I've gotten some of the sam reaction you experienced as well as smiles and waves when I'm in traffic. It's always amusing when people recognize the car and know what it is. But the car still makes people that are "into" cars look.

Sadly Fiat won't be continuing the Spider. Supposedly Mazda wasn't even going to make the MX-5 but the deal with Fiat got them to do it.

Larry

·
Registered
278 Posts
One real negative thing about the Abarth is the amount of people tailgating me, peering over the hood trying to figure out just what the heck kind of car is in front of them. It happens very often. If there is a passenger in the front seat out comes the cell phone to take a picture.

It's times like this I start thinking about a mass spectrum transmitter sending a signal that says, " Caution! The car in front of you is equipped with Brembo brakes and the driver likes to use them."

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
One real negative thing about the Abarth is the amount of people tailgating me, peering over the hood trying to figure out just what the heck kind of car is in front of them. It happens very often. If there is a passenger in the front seat out comes the cell phone to take a picture.

It's times like this I start thinking about a mass spectrum transmitter sending a signal that says, " Caution! The car in front of you is equipped with Brembo brakes and the driver likes to use them."
Yeah. It happens. I find I also get yelled at a lot while stopped at lights... usually "Hey... what is that?". lol

I'd be cautious about any abrupt braking though, as we're so low that a pickup would go over us like a speed bump. :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah. It happens. I find I also get yelled at a lot while stopped at lights... usually "Hey... what is that?". lol

I'd be cautious about any abrupt braking though, as we're so low that a pickup would go over us like a speed bump. :)
We get that too. My reply? "it's hers."

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm in Northern CA. I was at Cars and Coffee in Folsom, CA
Nice!

Folsom's not too far away and I've been out that way many times - sometimes in my Fiat and other times in other cars.

If you're interested in hanging out with Fiat-inclined people, there's a Fiat club up your way - Sacramento Area Fiat Club - https://sacramentoareafiats.weebly.com/ . I don't know how many new Spiders they have in the club, but it could be worthwhile checking them out.

I belong to FIAT America - http://fiatamerica.com/ - we're based on the SF Bay Area, but have club members up through Sacramento and other parts of Northern California, out to Colorado and into Southern California. We also go on tours that last anywhere from 3-5 hours to 4-days covering 1,000+ miles. There's at least 3 people that own new 124 Spiders (myself included) in the club.

Larry

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice!

Folsom's not too far away and I've been out that way many times - sometimes in my Fiat and other times in other cars.

If you're interested in hanging out with Fiat-inclined people, there's a Fiat club up your way - Sacramento Area Fiat Club - https://sacramentoareafiats.weebly.com/ . I don't know how many new Spiders they have in the club, but it could be worthwhile checking them out.

I belong to FIAT America - http://fiatamerica.com/ - we're based on the SF Bay Area, but have club members up through Sacramento and other parts of Northern California, out to Colorado and into Southern California. We also go on tours that last anywhere from 3-5 hours to 4-days covering 1,000+ miles. There's at least 3 people that own new 124 Spiders (myself included) in the club.

Larry
I formed and run the Sacramento Area Fiat Club. We only have two new Spiders. Most are classic Spiders, X1/9s and a few original 500s. We had a joint event with Fiat America last year to Lake Berryessa. Lots of fun! I took my 79 Spider.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I formed and run the Sacramento Area Fiat Club. We only have two new Spiders. Most are classic Spiders, X1/9s and a few original 500s. We had a joint event with Fiat America last year to Lake Berryessa. Lots of fun! I took my 79 Spider.
I wasn't able to make it to the Lake Berryessa event last year. I would have liked to see your 79 Spider.

I also have a '79 X1/9 with 335,000 miles on it and an '81 Spider although that's sort of in the project stage (long story). And I also own 4-1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolets and a 1961 Fiat 2100 Wagon (it's another long story of how I came to own them).

Larry

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wasn't able to make it to the Lake Berryessa event last year. I would have liked to see your 79 Spider.

I also have a '79 X1/9 with 335,000 miles on it and an '81 Spider although that's sort of in the project stage (long story). And I also own 4-1965 Fiat 1500 Cabriolets and a 1961 Fiat 2100 Wagon (it's another long story of how I came to own them).

Larry
Once you start collecting them, it is hard to stop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Larry
This is my most recent picture. I have the silver 79 and a friend just sold the black 72 to another friend. We got a friend's 81 running properly on the morning I took this photo. He was having timing issues that were an easy fix.

My 79 has 59,000 original miles. I've owned it since 2000 when it had 31,000 miles on it. It sat in a barn for 15 years and was owned by a car collector/hoarder prior to that. It still had tires date stamped 1983 on it, Pirelli V belts, and I found two original paper stickers underneath the car. It had a nearly perfect red interior that finally reached the point that it was far too brittle to keep, so I had no choice but to replace it about 8 years ago. I swapped over to a tan interior at that time.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
They're both beautiful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts